• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall ditching CoD shooter tropes

Mondy

Banned
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...coping-Sniping-to-Be-Ineffective-Respawn-Says

Titanfall will support sniping, but won't be the same as your typical shooter.

While Respawn Entertainment is comprised of former developers that created Call of Duty, that doesn't mean the studio will be relying on shooter tropes for its debut project, Titanfall. Posting on the official Titanfall forums, Respawn developer "scriptacus" has confirmed sniping will be in the game, but "quick-scoping" and "no-scoping" won't be as effective as they are in your typical military shooter.

Sniping is in the game, but due to how the game plays it's a pretty different animal than you'll find in your run of the mill modern military shooter. Quick scoping and no scoping are ineffective.

For those unfamiliar with the term, quick-scoping is when a player quickly presses the "ADS" (aim down sight) button, and without locking on to your target, fire your sniper rifle just like you would a shotgun. No scoping is a bit harder, since it requires the player to rely solely on the crosshairs of their gun while it's not in ADS mode to hit their enemy.

Both methods of sniping have been exploited by countless multiplayer users and can mostly be seen in your typical Call of Duty or Battlefield montage. Even if players somehow find a way to quick and no-scope in Titanfall, I imagine it won't be as effective, since players can run across walls and navigate the environment faster compared to your typical shooter. Add the game's Titans into the mix and that further complicates matters for snipers.

Speaking of Titans, Respawn unveiled the "Ogre" and "Stryder" models at VGX, and just last week showed off the "Atlas" mechs that players can use in the game.

Will Respawn succeed where other shooters failed when it comes to sniping? We'll know for sure once Titanfall hits the Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC on March 11, 2014.

They really wanna distance themselves from their old baby. Good news though.

antitrop

How quick-scoping is still a thing in Call of Duty in 2013 baffles me. It's an unfixed bug, not a feature.

Good on Respawn.

Silky

Banned
~BUENO~

EWmof.gif
SAVE US RESPAWN
p0QHO.gif

I don't understand how Cod can have dedicated servers and still be so shit online. Every game is me dying instantly and the kill cam showing me getting shot multiple times from the killer yet on my end there was nothing.

Levyne

Banned
I remember kind of laughing/sighing to myself when Reznov kind of chuckles and mentions it if you no-scope someone during one of the Treyarch campaigns.

EA must be shitting themselves right now. How can they sell a game that isn't trying as hard as it can to be just like CoD but worse?

NYR

CoD has effectively died this year. To me, a great gauge is the YouTube scene - so many of the commentators have dumped the game because no one is watching for tips or entertainment, the game is a yarn ball of frustration that continues to unfurl the more you play it.

It will sell millions year in and year out, which is a shame for those that have stuck around since CoD 4 for the hopes something comes out to match its brilliance, and yet, it continues down the track of no longer being the go-to shooter for the "bro" and casual crowd.

So much open space for someone to grab the crown, shame on Activision for getting lazy with their annual game releases rather than focus on a quality release - they need to pull a watchdogs and take some time with their product and perfect it. Could care less about Ghosts and
Ghosts 2, with that shitty un-satisfying and impossible ending in the first one, why would anyone invest more time in that awful storyline with shit acting and writing.

kazebyaka

Banned
CoD has effectively died this year. To me, a great gauge is the YouTube scene - so many of the commentators have dumped the game because no one is watching for tips or entertainment, the game is a yarn ball of frustration that continues to unfurl the more you play it.

It will sell millions year in and year out, which is a shame for those that have stuck around since CoD 4 for the hopes something comes out to match its brilliance, and yet, it continues down the track of no longer being the go-to shooter for the "bro" and casual crowd
meh, Ghosts is the best Cod game since first black ops. Fantastic singleplayer campaign and amazing multiplayer.

I'm not sure how not quickscoping would be more effective in a game where everyone is mobile. Even the better snipers in TF2 quickscope.

ref

meh, Ghosts is the best Cod game since first black ops. Fantastic singleplayer campaign and amazing multiplayer.

Couldn't disagree more in terms of the campaign, but yeah, the multiplayer feels like a Call of Duty game to me so I can see why people like it. Personally, I'm not longer interested in the series multiplayer though, which is why I was annoyed with the campaign.

Feel it had a somewhat decent back story with the
Federation
, and the first level or two were pretty decent actually. But then, it devolved very quickly into
generic bad guy wanting revenge on the Ghosts because old partner dropped him to save others lives

As for quickscoping, I've never understood the fascination around it. I don't see how it's a gauge of skill at all and better yet why it's considered 'cool' by the CoD community.

Glad to see Titanfall will be getting rid of it.

SFenton

Could care less about Ghosts and
Ghosts 2, with that shitty un-satisfying and impossible ending in the first one, why would anyone invest more time in that awful storyline with shit acting and writing.

Ironically, if they had you play as the character that happened to in the next game as opposed to
OMG MUST SAVE FAMILY WE ARE FAMILY AMERICA IS FAMILY DOG MISSES FAMILY
, as I hope will happen as I honestly think the end of the campaign was the only good thing about it, I would totally be into Ghosts 2.

antitrop

The problem with Ghosts multiplayer is that the maps are designed in such a way that you can never reasonably cover all possible danger areas without camping.

It's not fun and deaths feel random and unfair, unless you're a camp whore.

What about the fully auto highly accurate low recoil hitscan weapons that take 2 shots to kill someone with a gigantic amount of auto aim lockon when you ads. Did they remove that or just quick scoping?

rdrr gnr

That should have been nerfed years ago.
Nerfed how? Any quirk or ability can become annoying when used in excess. It may have gotten too popular for its own good, but I don't agree with removing it all together. I'd rather have some idiot actually running around being aggressive than some idiot effectively idle in the back of the map getting four kills a round.

I don't understand how Cod can have dedicated servers and still be so shit online. Every game is me dying instantly and the kill cam showing me getting shot multiple times from the killer yet on my end there was nothing.

Because their definition of dedicated is different from everybody elses.

IndustryX

Yeah because quick scoping a giant mech would have done something.. Also good luck hitting guys zooming around with rocket boots.

haha good to see though, pretty frustrating to be shooting a guy and have him somehow zoom in while eating bullets and fire off one shot and kill you.

antitrop

Gross.

For me

Black Ops 2 (League Play FTMFW) >>>>>>>>>> CoD 4 > MW2 > BO1 > MW3 > WAW >>>>>>>>>>> Ghosts
Yup, Ghosts is the CoD game I've enjoyed the least since 3 (not MW3, but "Treyarch has no idea what they're doing yet 3"). It's a disaster.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How exactly would no scoping be abused? Should the gun really fire any differently just because you're not aiming down the scope (save for not being as steady)?

Your bullets should still take their normal path instead of firing off randomly inside of a huge ass crosshair in front of you, right?

BBboy20

~BUENO~

EWmof.gif
SAVE US RESPAWN
p0QHO.gif
Not with EA on the case MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

ahhem...Well, I suppose that's nice (even so it's the future where maybe such techniques could become possible). Still, let's hope it doesn't have the same lone-wolf exploits MW2 had (even so they could be possible in this game since it's sci-fi).

Do you work at Activision or something? The fuck do you care what people are excited for?

Relax man. I am just trying to prove BS the advertising statement from a multibillion dollar corporation.

I never said the game was crap or something.

It is just obvious how the game takes many tropes from COD, whether some GAFers or DEVs would ever admit to that is what I am aiming at.

Saying it is not like COD is pure advertising tactics. THe statement does not hold water when you see the sprinting animations, the ADS, the XP walls, and the hit markers.

Grayman

How exactly would no scoping be abused? Should the gun really fire any differently just because you're not aiming down the scope (save for not being as steady)?

Your bullets should still take their normal path instead of firing off randomly inside of a huge ass crosshair in front of you, right?

Most games, even good PC games, do the cone thing on some sniper rifles as a balance factor between sniper rifles and other weapons.

Top Bottom