• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer applauds Sony commitment to new IP

As for PlayStation, Spencer is cheered by Sony's willingness to back developers like Quantic Dream, creator of the intriguing but rather oblique Heavy Rain. "Sony - and I'm focused on first-party because of what I do - I really respect their focus on investing in new things and creative things, what they've done with David Cage and Quantic Dream around Beyond [Two Souls] and Heavy Rain; they stay committed to franchises even if they don't sell 10 million units, they'll stay committed to things.

"I think that long-term commitment to franchises is important, where it's easy to pull off the Band-Aid and move onto the next thing [if it doesn't sell]. I respect their 'stick-to-it-iveness'. I'll say, they've done a nice job with PS4 [...] When I think about their announcement, their clear focus on a customer, leading with the value proposition of what they're trying to do, staying true to a vision, I think they've done a nice job in how they defined the PS4."
Via OXM

It's good that they recognize it, but I hope this translates into action on their front as well. So far it's looking good for the first year of the Xbox One, but hopefully that continues well into its lifecycle.

Atolm

Yeah, they develop new IPs and send them to die, that much can't be denied. It still blows my mind that they released Knack for the PS4 instead of a Puppeteer port.

agent-corel-2.jpg

tumblr_lzphxnqa721qck2r0o1_500.gif

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Via OXM

It's good that they recognize it, but I hope this translates into action on their front as well. So far it's looking good for the first year of the Xbox One, but hopefully that continues well into its lifecycle.

I know people like to pick on Phil Spencer, but I think he's done a pretty good job with the lineup for the first year. He may drop the cloud buzzword a bit too much, but I don't think he deserves a lot of the hate he gets. It's also good to see he recognizes how well Sony's approach is working. Maybe Sony's focus and clear messaging will rub off a little on the Xbox division.

I know people like to pick on Phil Spencer, but I think he's done a pretty good job with the lineup for the first year. He may drop the cloud buzzword a bit too much, but I don't think he deserves a lot of the hate he gets. It's also good to see he recognizes how well Sony's approach is working. Maybe Sony's focus and clear messaging will rub off a little on the Xbox division.

I agree. Phil Spencer can be delusional sometimes but he's a great guy overall.

Carl

My main problem with him is the way he talks. Just really grates on me, haha.

sinseers

Via OXM

Is he buttering up to Sony in hopes to work for them soon? Inquiring minds want to know.......

Strike

It's nice that he realizes that. Hopefully that means that we'll see more new IP's from instead of what we've been seeing the last few years.

Cornbread78

I think Phil can openly say that right now because Sony hasn't really showed any of their big 1st party titles for 2014/15 as of yet. He is and should be very confident about the XB1's upcoming offerings with Titanfall, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Project Spark, Sports Rivals, D4, and possibly Fable and Halo.

PS4 in 2014
- Drive Club
- Uncharted 4 (no release date, probably 1Q15)
- inFamous: Second Son
- The Order: 1886
- Deep Down

3/5 are new IPs, but that's really it outside of the idie stuff. There is no Resitance, Heavenly Sword, Genji, The Darkness, etc this time around. It is arguable which one is better though..

Top Bottom