• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: First Look at latest Oculus Rift prototype

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
9usi20oH4gk_SpCZ6f5ILWYZOFcyikYvVjfbZS1ZuSkp-13e-ivzxf2XdPy3gOuSffn_bC5TJTByvjey38tlJQp7E4gHeeBx_wcy1FIIFLgQkODCkWMX5W-CvG2a1Ikwk-660x425.jpeg

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2014/01/oculus-rift

AMOLED screen, and marker tracking via a camera for positional tracking.

Unlike the two previous demos, however, it monitors the user’s head movements in real space, and it’s able to translate those movements into not just orientation changes — looking up, down, or behind you — but also as actual motion, which previously was possible only by using a game controller in conjunction with the Rift. It utilizes an “outside-in” system: an externally mounted camera tracks small LED lights on the prototype’s faceplate, adding three “degrees of freedom” (forward/backward, left/right, and up/down) to the Rift’s tracking ability. Up until now, developers and early Oculus adopters have only been able to accomplish this by taping a Razer Hydra motion controller to the side of their Rift headsets. Now, though, leaning down while playing the demo brings you closer to the tower-defense game, and lets you watch the armies you control firing turrets and launching minions. It’s the first look at an untethered VR experience.

“This is just a feature prototype,” Iribe says. “It’s not at all representative of the final consumer look and feel. Once we feel like something is good enough and we’re confident we’ll be able to ship it with the consumer product, we feel good about announcing it. We still may change how it’s done, but we feel great about the positional tracking system. It’s been a year in the works, we’ve tried multiple different approaches, and this delivered the experience we were looking for.”

Very curious about the camera. Article is light on specifics there.

nynt9

Sounds like this would increase response time - after all that time Carmack spent talking about how huge a deal response time is, this makes me wary - but I'm interested in seeing where this goes. Another problem is that you can't look too far away from the camera. Tentatively interested but I'll probably end up keeping my prototype if they end up going in this direction.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Polygon has an article up too:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/7/528...otype-with-positional-tracking-and-mysterious

They're really stressing the persistence qualities of the OLED...not confirming the resolution of the screen in this prototype, although they're still sticking to a minimum of 1080p for the consumer model.

"Low persistence is really, really important. It’s probably the most important thing we’re showing. It doesn’t sound really exciting… but it’s incredible the difference low persistence makes," Luckey said. "You really have to see it. It’s mind-blowing."

Crystal Cove uses an OLED display running at a high refresh rate; pixels only remain lit for a fraction of each frame show to the player. "Basically, they blink," Mitchell explained.

"Our new OLED panel in the prototype switches in well under a millisecond, so it’s faster than any LCD monitor on the market … what we’re doing is we’re taking the image and flashing it on when it’s correct, and only keeping that on for a fraction of a millisecond and then turning it off and then going black until the next pulse," Luckey continued.

"It is not something that any OLED panel can do," he stated. He politely declined to offer any more details of the new display, including the resolution.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sounds like this would increase response time - after all that time Carmack spent talking about how huge a deal response time is, this makes me wary - but I'm interested in seeing where this goes. Another problem is that you can't look too far away from the camera. Tentatively interested but I'll probably end up keeping my prototype if they end up going in this direction.

It depends a lot. Abrash went into some hypotheticals and back-of-a-napkin calculations involving an external camera for positional tracking before. It depends, on the camera, and other things.

Hopefully it is pretty wide-angle though, yes.

Elitro

Basically they are showing what was promised before, a ~1080p resolution screen and positional tracking. All they need to do is to refine the prototype and turn it into a final consumer version...
Oh man i can't wait D:

nynt9

It depends a lot. Abrash went into some hypotheticals and back-of-a-napkin calculations involving an external camera for positional tracking before. It depends, on the camera, and other things.

Hopefully it is pretty wide-angle though, yes.

I mean, it also depends on your use case. For gaming, I don't think it really matters. But we're using these for robotic teleoperation, and for that it does. (talking about the tracking angle range)

syko de4d

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/7/528...otype-with-positional-tracking-and-mysterious

"Our new OLED panel in the prototype switches in well under a millisecond, so it’s faster than any LCD monitor on the market … what we’re doing is we’re taking the image and flashing it on when it’s correct, and only keeping that on for a fraction of a millisecond and then turning it off and then going black until the next pulse," Luckey continued.

"It is not something that any OLED panel can do," he stated. He politely declined to offer any more details of the new display, including the resolution.

YuShtink

Sounds awesome, need impressions. ~30ms response time for this prototype, but apparently their very newest stuff they showed to investors cracks the 20ms threshold. Pretty incredible how far they've come in such a short amount of time.

They gotta be real careful with how they handle selling this to end consumers, or it will have massive problems. I'd suggest a significant rebranding or more partners. We'll see though, I hope it is as good as everyone says it is, and I hope it succeeds.

I get that they want to get this thing right but couldnt they just release it now instead of waiting so long?

Im not really excited about all the motion capture stuff, all I want is to play my favorite games in 3D with the crazy FOV, stuff like Dark Souls, Assassins Creed 4, racing sims, etc etc.

By the sound of that article this thing is stil a ways off. I want it already Dammit.
It sounds like they're aiming for this year, which is on track with expectations.

I get that they want to get this thing right but couldnt they just release it now instead of waiting so long?

Im not really excited about all the motion capture stuff, all I want is to play my favorite games in 3D with the crazy FOV, stuff like Dark Souls, Assassins Creed 4, racing sims, etc etc.
You won't if you got motion sickness after 2 minutes like I did.

Perkel

Banned
I just hope they will release it by the end of this year.

There is old saying that engineer will always upgrade his creation not releasing it at all..

Morzak

Low persistence oled. God damn those guys are really the most interesting thing on gaming tech. Can't wait for am actual consumer version.

Stimpack

This is what I was waiting to hear about.

Also my friend said that this is exactly how they would handle positional tracking, and I told him there's no way in hell. I thought the latency would be too much. Boy, aren't I the fool?

Elitro

I agree get a consumer model out the door. People understand new version will come out.

Even so, they are at a position where they can afford to taker their time and make sure they only release the best possible product (which is fine by me).
Unless someone just announces an alternative version with all those features out of the blue, but i think that is unlikely.

It sounds like they're aiming for this year, which is on track with expectations.

You won't if you got motion sickness after 2 minutes like I did.

Fair enough, I guess once they reach 20ms like the article says they will move to the retail version.

In my opinion, they should be spending more time in creating APIs and partnerships with major upcoming games so that they will work out of the box with crazy FOVs.

Why does it require a camera? Can't it just have some kind of internal gyroscope or something that tells it what you're doing with your head?

Cartman86

Banned
We should never have to see the image that the camera sees correct? It could be optimized purely for tracking and low latency no?

this has been going on for how long now? Just release a damn consumer version.

It's been 1 year since its first public showing, which was a very early prototype that usually wouldn't be seen by the public. Think about how long the big 3 have hardware in development before they are released.

This thing is on track.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
By the way, as noted in the articles, EvE Valkyrie is still being demoed with it. So that might quash rumours of Valkyrie being signed to another platform.

I just hope they will release it by the end of this year.

There is old saying that engineer will always upgrade his creation not releasing it at all..

I hope it does. The longer it takes the more worried I am that some big name company will swoop in and come out with their own retail version before Oculus ever finishes.

I want one so bad! This + Steam controller = :D

syko de4d

Why? First they need games. Stuff like Star Citizen, Project Cars, DayZ, Routine, The Witness etc.

If they would release it now there would be not much to play, in 6-10months the situation will be totally different.

Alx

I suppose that they'll use the camera positioning to correct drifting, and keep focusing on the inertial sensors for fast reactivity. That way they can keep a low response time for the head motions, and only add a slow recalibration.
I think it adds to the complexity, cost and aesthetics of the setup, though ; not that a simple IR camera is that expensive, and that you would really care about aesthetics when you have your head stuck in a helmet, but it departs from the "here, put on this ski mask and have fun !" effect of the first prototypes.

YuShtink

I get the frustrations of a lot of people here who haven't had a chance to try it out in any form, it probably gets tiring just hearing about these improvements with each prototype, but try to have patience and faith people. Oculus is doing this thing the right way, and they are going to have an UNBELIEVABLE product when it's all said and done. I use the devkit daily (which in itself is still one of the coolest pieces of tech ever created imo) and can't even imagine how much better this prototype already is. People are going to need clean underwear when this thing is finally unleashed...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why does it require a camera? Can't it just have some kind of internal gyroscope or something that tells it what you're doing with your head?

That would only measure tilting, this is positional tracking so full 3d movement. So for instance you could lean forward in the cockpit in Star Citizen and the in game character is going to fully lean forward, not just look down.

McHuj

So are people getting to out the new thing at CES? Any articles with impressions of the improvements?

Stimpack

I know you're impatient, but maybe you should just look at something else for a while. This is going to take time, and it should take time. This is not a product that should be rushed to market.

It's has both. The camera achieves positional tracking.

Without it, your head is tracked like its sitting an immovable stick. You can look around, but you can't move the stick. Now you can move the stick.

Guy.brush

A bit bummed out that they can't get the positional tracking without external camera and markers.
Feels like this thing will require users to set up their own little mocap stage at home.

JaggedSac

Camera would just be for positional tracking. Rotation would still be done as it is with the dev kit, I assume.

Ok, then positional tracking would be lost if you turned your head or your body past a certain amount. At least I don't see markers on the back side of the headset.

Top Bottom