• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eric Jonrosh's "The Spoils of Babylon" |OT| The epic tale we all love comes to IFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synopsis:

"The Spoils of Babylon" is based on the fictional beloved novel by fictional acclaimed author Eric Jonrosh (Ferrell), who has 57 best-sellers in 85 different languages. The six-part series is a century-spanning saga about a family - Jonas Morehouse (Robbins), his daughter Cynthia (Wiig) and her adopted brother Devon (Maguire) - who made their fortune in the oil business. The story also includes Cynthia's evil son Winston (Osment), her husband Chet Halner (Sheen) and Devon's new love interest Dixie Mellonworth (Alba).

Videos:
Trailer
My Name is Devon Morehouse
The Temptation of Cynthia and Devon
A Dramatic Reading
Theme Song & Opening Sequence
Eric Jonrosh Gives a Sneak Peek of Spoils

Metacritic: 68

Starts Thursday, January 9 at 10/9c on IFC.

What I've heard of this reminds me quite a bit of an American version of Darkplace. Not a bad thing.
I love the idea of spoofing those old overblown epic miniseries, but we'll see how well the humor holds up over the course of six episodes.

The reviews are decent, for the most part, so that's a good sign.

Mecca

I'm actually excited for this. I watched a lot of those awful miniseries. In fact, I just watched North & South with Partick Swayze a couple of weeks ago. I'm so ready for this!

TheOddOne

Good OP! Sheen's face on that poster is making me watch this. DAMMIT SHEEN, WHY YOU SO SMEXY.

- NY Daily news review (3 out of 5 stars)
Over six episodes, almost no cliche of TV epics is left unlampooned. In the end, ironically, “Spoils of Babylon” creates some excess of its own.

JDSN

Banned
I looked an ad and yeah, this is american Darkplace. Im gonna recommend this to a hipster dude I know and then tell him its bad on purpose to make his viewing on this retrospectively joyless.

Mecca

I caught the first episode and a bit of the second before I fell asleep. It seems like it was starting to hit its stride during the second episode. Some of the comedy is subtle. I wonder if it should have been acted out a bit broader.

obin_gam

While "Garth Merenghis Darkplace" had actors that actually could act like bad actors, this one doesnt. I dont buy the fake:ness of it. Hard to explain but it's like, they act to good to make it believable as a bad miniseries.

I caught the first episode and a bit of the second before I fell asleep. It seems like it was starting to hit its stride during the second episode. Some of the comedy is subtle. I wonder if it should have been acted out a bit broader.

This. They dont overact enough, and they dont "act bad" enough either, which makes the whole thing quite redundant imo

This is how you act bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8MsYislXJg
This is how you over act http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjOEcoMy2fI

metzger203

YV231ew.jpg

To my son Devon,

Love,
Jonas Morehouse

Fortune favors the man with purpose, for he is so driven that all his senses obey his singular ambition, lust, and dreams alike, and even love steered straight by one passion.

Fear not the abyss of moral incertitude and spiritual chaos. His purpose shall be a lantern whereby which no shadow half or so severe shall darken his path. His footsteps forever will fall upon solid ground as no unseen surprise will interfere with progress, such is the man of purpose - a true leader - not just of men, but of all the elements: air, water, earth, and fire conspire against his visionary zeal. Undaunted, he travels forth and bends all these things to fit his majesty. Therein ends this inscription that I write for my beloved and most cherished son, Devon, who I have passed this compass along to in hopes that me might ponder it from time to time should he lose his way.

Jonas Morehouse,
Your fat

bengraven

I bet I can trick my mother in law into watching this.

She's obsessed with the 70s and 80s miniseries like Roots, Thornbirds, Lonesome Dove, Scarlet. I can convince her it's legit.

This scene made me laugh much harder than it had any right to.

The scene I laughed way too hard at was when Toby escaped from the prison camp. lmao. He threw the bamboo bars apart, picked up a gun and with that stupid smile he aimed the gun to the side but everyone in front of him was getting shot.

Good first couple of eps. Kristen Wiig has so many brilliant little moments, like clutching the banister and standing up to grieve Devin's death.

Also, Eric Jonrosh's completely full wine glasses had me in stitches.

Valhelm

contribute something
I've just watched the first three episodes. This show is wonderful. Is there anywhere to download the theme song?

Makonero

Another great episode, although I really wanted to see Devon take the head with him on his travels.

Oh well. And that baby disappeared too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom