• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time (Target Exclusive Release)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

I'm not 100% sure WHAT this is, but I like the art from the cover and due in Target stores next week!

BeCSohpCUAAXDA3.jpg:large

Some tweets from the director

Yeah, run time is around 52 minutes
All new adventure, featuring the Justice League and the Legion of Doom, plus a couple curve balls.
What if I reunited @dantebasco , @GreyDeLisle , and Jack De Sena (Avatar's Zuko, Azula, and Sokka) on a Justice League project? Well I did.

Chairhome

Nice, thanks for the heads up, will probably pick it up for me and my son. THis was all i could find on it.
New mystery DVD release sneaks onto Target shelves January 21st
After the premature demise of Green Lantern: The Animated Series series producer Giancarlo Volpe worked on another project for Warner Brothers Animation before moving on to Riot Games. The mystery project has remained on the shelf and Volpe has been unable to talk about it, although recently he vaguely alluded to it on twitter and recently announced that we'd be able to see the project on January 21st. He was also quick to point out that even though several people who worked on the Green Lantern series were involved the new project, it is (unfortunately) not a follow up to either Green Lantern: The Animated Series or Young Justice although there are some nods to both shows for fans to look for.

That brings us to this morning when I checked my Twitter feed and saw a tweet from WB PR wizard Gary Miereanu including the picture below. Part of next week's Target ad includes an exclusive DVD titled "Justice League: Trapped in Time" being released on...January 21st. I reached out to both Volpe and Miereanu and they confirmed that this is the infamous "Project X".
source: http://www.blogofoa.com/2014/01/wb-pulling-beyonce-with-justice-league.html

^^ Dante Basco (Rufio)? Did he work on DC stuff before? GL series?

Wait, what the heck? This is so strange, this has nothing to do with the DCAU Original Movies? And it's Target-only, and no blu-ray?

EDIT: It doesn't even show up on Target.com and it ships in a week? None of this makes any sense.

Penguin

This is the first time a hear of this. Will try to snag a copy if the price is right.
They literally only announced it this morning!

according to the circular, its $12.99 for the dvd (no blu ray listed)

Oh sweet
13 bucks is an easy buy
Disappointed there's no blu-ray!

Also seems Diedrich Bader is Batman in this. Awesome. If this feature matches the tone of Brave and the Bold... SOLD SOLD SOLD

Given the short running time and stealth release, I would guess that this originated as a two-part pilot for a canned Justice League series. But who knows.

Bravocado

They literally only announced it this morning!

Oh sweet
13 bucks is an easy buy
Disappointed there's no blu-ray!

Also seems Diedrich Bader is Batman in this. Awesome. If this feature matches the tone of Brave and the Bold... SOLD SOLD SOLD

This. He may not be my absolute favorite Batman, but Bader and Brave & Bold are so criminally underrated.

Penguin

Sweet, he asked 21 -pressing questions

1. This movie is a BRAND NEW 52 minute adventure and a Target exclusive.

2. It has the Hall of Justice and the Legion of Doom in it!

3. Dawnstar and Karate Kid join the JLA from the future!

4. It’s currently available on DVD, no word on BluRay yet

5. I’m pretty sure it’s not available internationally (yet, unfortunately) but that could change in time.

6. I’m not sure if it’s available in Canada ( Canadians, let me know if you get confirmation either way.)

7. Character designs were done by Lynell Forestall, known for creating the Black Lightning shorts for DC Nation! (Also with tons of help from fellow SVA grad Kano “Danny” Kimanyen and Steve Jones).

8. This movie was written by Mike Ryan, the guy behind GLTAS’ “Lost Planet (the Mogo episode)” and “Loss (the episode that causes millions of Fanterns to shriek in horror)”

9. “JLAA: Trapped in Time” is scored by Freddie Wiedmann, the genius behind the music of Green Lantern the Animated Series!

10. This film was animated by the DR Movie, one of the main Korean studios that worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender

11. “JLA: Trapped in Time” is safe for ALL AGES so it’s not as dark as say, “Justice League Flashpoint” or the upcoming “Justice League: War”. Think of it as closer to Avatar’s “Warriors of Kyoshi” or Green Lantern’s “Babel” in tone.

12. Speaking of Avatar, Dante Basco, the voice of Zuko plays Karate Kid!

13. Grey DeLisle (the voice of Avatar’s Azula and Aya from GLTAS) plays Wonder Woman!

14. Jason Spisak, the voice of GLTAS’ Razer and Young Justice’s Wally West plays Flash!

15. Laura Bailey, the voice of Black Widow in Marvel’s Avengers Assemble plays Dawnstar!

16. Diedrich Bader returns to his role as Batman (From Brave and the Bold!)

17. Jack DeSena (the voice of Sokka in Avatar ) plays Robin!

18. Liam O’Brien, (the voice of Naruto’s Gaara) plays Aquaman!

19. It’s my return to traditional animation after 6 years in CG, and also my return to directing after 3 years of only producing.

20. Sadly Green Lantern is not in this one, but in my head canon he was too busy fighting the Aya-Monitor and the Manhunters to participate in this battle. :)

21. It comes out Tuesday January 21!!

All on-board this very short hype train!

tumblr_mzi7kaME6L1rpierto6_r1_500.png

I wish he would've said it's definitively NOT coming to bluray (which is likely the case) because now that he's opened that door I'm tempted to hold off.

Had no clue this was coming out. Judging by the cover artwork, it looks like this might be a commercial tie-in for the more kid-friendly toy lines Mattel produces for DC Comics. Something about that Superman especially gives me that impression, like I've seen an action figure with oversized hands and feet with that exact look.

There wouldn't happen to be a trailer anywhere by any chance? I've effectively sworn off DC's other direct-to-video animations, but if this has an "all-ages" vibe akin to Brave and the Bold I might give it a look.

Nobody had any clue this was coming out! For a few days, we only knew about it because of Volpe's twitter! The circular isn't out, no trailers, it's not on Target's website, nothin'. I'm still not convinced it exists.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
this sounds like one of those Justice League/Legion of Superheroes stories DC did a couple years before the reboot.

Chairhome

Nobody had any clue this was coming out! For a few days, we only knew about it because of Volpe's twitter! The circular isn't out, no trailers, it's not on Target's website, nothin'. I'm still not convinced it exists.
Not out, but they always get scanned early.
Bd_fj6qCEAAybgD.jpg

Had no clue this was coming out. Judging by the cover artwork, it looks like this might be a commercial tie-in for the more kid-friendly toy lines Mattel produces for DC Comics. Something about that Superman especially gives me that impression, like I've seen an action figure with oversized hands and feet with that exact look.

There wouldn't happen to be a trailer anywhere by any chance? I've effectively sworn off DC's other direct-to-video animations, but if this has an "all-ages" vibe akin to Brave and the Bold I might give it a look.
Target has an exclusive deal with warner, these are their exclusive figures based loosely on the new 52 designs. Doesn't look exactly like the dvd cover though.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Who's the flying kicking guy in the background?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
That would be Ralph Machio, The Karate Kid

Oh good I was worried for a second.

This does look kid-focused. Avengers did it too, softening the kids up with the animation to prep them for brand recognition.

Penguin

Interview with some more details
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/VoicesFromKrypton/news/?a=93115

VOICES FROM KRYPTON: How did this project come about?
GIANCARLO VOLPE: Well, my boss Sam Register approached me about doing this straight to video. It was kind of a partnership with Target and they had a toyline, which a lot of these things start with, that they wanted to promote. They just wanted to do a movie that accompanied the toyline about their characters. The main thing about it was tone. If you look at something like Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox or the upcoming WAR, or, frankly, a lot of the stuff we do at WB, they're grittier films. There are curse words and violence, so Sam said, "We need something that's a little more kid friendly." My initial reaction was reluctance, because I was worried he was asking me to do a pre-school version of the Justice League. We talked about it and he said, "That thing you do on Green Lantern, we just want that but with the Justice League." When I finally understood it in those terms - "I can do my storytelling sensibilities with Superman and Batman and all of them" - I was, like, "Okay, let's do it."

VOICES FROM KRYPTON: What was the genesis of this particular storyline?
GIANCARLO VOLPE: Mike Ryan, the writer, and I actually had begun to develop a Justice League project, but it didn't work out. When this came around, it was confusing because I wanted to tell the story that we originally wanted to tell, but we knew that that story would require 13 episodes and the order for this was, I think, originally 44 minutes. As a result we were just trying to come up with something simple that we could fit in the 44-minute timeframe. The other impetus for this was also essentially modernizing the Super Friends TV show. Mike, who was a huge fan of the '70s Super Friends, said that one of his favorite episodes had Lex Luthor sending the Legion of Doom to the past to futz with the origins of Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern. He was, like, "I'd love to retell that story."

I guess someone was right about this being like a semi-failed TV pitch.

Rootbeer

Banned
How can you spend all the money on animation and voice talent only to make it a Target exclusive? That's not good business.

Oh well, means nothing to me personally as I shop at Target 2 or 3 times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom