• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I won't resign, says Iwata

chadskin

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has insisted he will not resign from his position despite accepting responsibility for the company's abject commercial performance.

Iwata apologised to shareholders in Kyoto for the extent of the under-performance, and insisted his intention was to rapidly reverse the company's fortunes. According to a report from Japan news group Nikkei, the Nintendo executive insisted he would not resign.

via CVG

Here's the rundown of the financial stuff.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
He probably has until this time next year. Investors won't accept the 'we did not have enough software ready' excuse again.

Cygnus X-1

Is he ready to take responsibility for sinking a ship that exist since 1889?

There is no reason for him to not step back. any CEO would do that to keep a certain dignity.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Don't think it would do any good if he did resign. Nintendo has a particularly powerful and tight-knit boardroom, and there's not going to be change without a total change of the guard. Getting rid of Iwata but leaving the rest untouched would do effectively nothing, and really just delay the bigger changes that are eventually needed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
To me it has become pretty clear that under his cute, amicable looking-at-bananas and sitting next to the Love Plus girl on the couch exterior, you have a very calculating businessman really looking to consolidate control and power. Just the way the board of directors has crystallized over the past few years is pretty interesting.

Said this in the other thread, but the guy has been protecting his own ass for years with the empty promises and excuses.

He's not your friend, he's not looking out for gamers or whatever else you might think, he's trying to stay in power.

Cloooooown.

To me it has become pretty clear that under his cute, amicable looking-at-bananas and sitting next to the Love Plus girl on the couch exterior, you have a very calculating businessman really looking to consolidate control and power. Just the way the board of directors has crystallized over the past few years is pretty interesting.

I fear for the future of the Nintendo I used to love.

Those are my thoughts on this subject.

smurfx

get some go again
he thinks he can rapidly fix the mess he created? good luck with that iwata. any comeback will have to be slow and grueling like sony's comeback and i don't know if iwata can do it.

Sendou

You don't get to be the CEO of a company as large as Nintendo without having those traits.

This much should be obvious to everyone.

Jackano

I like Iwata and supported him between 2004 and 2013 (I wasn't convinced until the DS), he is still the better (only) name for the job but he needs to open his eyes on the world and not only on Kyoto, and kick his own ass, change the strategy and not waste time anymore.

daakusedo

Ah, nintendo's François Hollande.

Infinite

he thinks he can rapidly fix the mess he created? good luck with that iwata. any comeback will have to be slow and grueling like sony's comeback and i don't know if iwata can do it.
He doesn't have a choice otherwise. What do you expect him to even say about this?

This statement is interesting - could you elaborate?

Phazon

I wouldn't mind him keeping dragging Nintendo down.

Some people really just want to see the world burn eh?

OT: I don't think firing Iwata right now would be a good idea. That man is too important for the whole structure atm. If they want him gone, he needs to take steps back every quarter I think.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Good for him.

Now I'm expecting all the japanese business experts to come post in this thread and tell us how Iwata is the worse thing to happen to Nintendo in 120 odd years.

That said, panic Nintendo is best Nintendo. It'll be interesting to see what they announce this year.

Seanspeed

Banned
Is there really anything Nintendo can do at this point? Seems the major failing is Wii U, as the 3DS is still selling well(even if not quite to expectations).

So how do you turn the Wii U around? I just don't think you can. You can try and salvage it, but I don't think it will ever be a success.

So Iwata resigning probably doesn't make much difference in the short-term and would probably set up unrealistic expectations on anybody stepping in to take his place and clean up the mess. Long term, perhaps the shareholders can demand his resignation at some point?

Iwonta

*laughs*

I laughed.

At this point I kinda see Iwata as the Michael Scott of gaming execs.

If he's here in 10yrs...

tumblr_mwc3xne5Px1qe9bnxo1_500.gif

I've got nothing personal against him, I would just like to see Nintendo move on and step up
in terms of tech/state of the market and online and in my opinion that needs new blood.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
2IdkpR0.png

Top Bottom