• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black: connotation vs denotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to start studying etymology for personal enjoyment. Some words that we use in our day to day lives actually have different meanings than what we use them for. A nice person in today's world would mean some agreeable, kind or pleasing. The original meaning of nice in older languages is foolish, ignorant or gullible. Violence is used as a description of an agressive person but studying the word you see it means distortion of facts and meaning.

Lately I've been studying the word black and its root. In Old English black is blac or blaec; in Middle English black is blak; in Old High German black is blah. All of the words presented seem to share the same define which is pale, bleak or bleach. So does black actually mean pale? I searched older langauges for the equivalent of dark or what we call black in today's times and found that in Middle English it's swart; in Old English it's sweart; in Proto-Germanic it's swartaz; in Proto-Indo-European it's swordo. I find all of this interesting that a connotative thought of a particular word can become its denotation while surpressing the word's true understanding.

Zaptruder

Banned
Lots of words have been used sarcastically or ironically and have ended up flipping their original meaning into their opposite.

Just check out literally. It literally means 'not literally' now.

Chichikov

Etymology (and linguistics in general) is fucking fascinating.
Also, you're literally going to stop freaking about the way people using literally.

I try not to use 'literally' as much, replacing it with 'actually' instead. The only time I try to use 'literal' is when I'm pointing out the actual meaning of a word or something. "It was awesome...like literally inspiring awe". Hopefully, I'm using it correctly in those instances...

But back on topic.
Black is a fascinating and loaded word. Didn't know the root was "pale".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom