• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway Arcade Treasures: Extended Play for PSP

Agent X

A few days ago, Gaming Age added some new screens to their preview of Midway Arcade Treasures: Extended Play for PSP.

In particular, there are some excellent (doing my Steve Ritchie impression here :) ) looking screens of Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II, and Mortal Kombat 3.

I don't know if I can link to Gaming Age's screens (I had some difficulty last time I tried), so I'll use IGN's for now:

midway-arcade-treasures-extended-play-20051206104039168.jpg

midway-arcade-treasures-extended-play-20051206104040418.jpg

midway-arcade-treasures-extended-play-20051206104038434.jpg

These games look outstanding! :D

Here's something I've noticed: The three Mortal Kombat games don't appear to have the "widescreen stretch" applied to them, like we've seen in preview screens for most other games in this PSP compilation. The graphics appear virtually perfect, with no distortion.

This brings me to my concern: Is the widescreen stretch completely optional, as it was with Namco Museum Battle Collection? Or, is it going to be forced on every game that isn't part of the MK series?

Some games don't look too shabby, even with the stretch applied. Take a look at Rampage and Paperboy for a couple of examples:

midway-arcade-treasures-extended-play-20051206104041028.jpg

midway-arcade-treasures-extended-play-20051206104038043.jpg

However, a few other games suffer from terrible distortion when stretched. See Joust and Gauntlet for examples where the text and sprites are negatively affected:

midway-arcade-treasures-extended-play-20051206104037465.jpg

midway-arcade-treasures-extended-play-20051206104040043.jpg

I really hope that the stretch can be disabled, so that we can play conversions that are (in most cases) pixel-perfect replicas of the quarter-gobbling originals. I know that a handful of these games (such as the aforementioned Rampage and Paperboy) actually ran in a higher resolution than the PSP's 480x272. The majority of the other games ran somewhere in the general neighborhood of 320x240; the three MK games running at 400x254 are probably the highest resolution games that didn't exceed 480x272. For those games, I'd really like the option to play them at their original screen resolutions.

Here's something else I've been thinking about. The disc has an M rating, likely because of the inclusion of the three MK games. Without them, this package probably would've gotten E10+ or maybe T. I wonder if this is limiting the audience, and omitting them (perhaps spinning them off into a separate disc) would enable this to sell to a broader audience? Then again, they might figure that most of the people who care about the other games are adults anyway. Personally, it doesn't bother me, but I guess it would be nice for salespeople to be able to sell this to kids so they could enjoy Klax or Marble Madness without their parents complaining about the big letter M in the corner of the box.

At $29.99, this looks like a fantastic deal. It will be out in just a few days; I hope it turns out to be really good!

Ponn

Banned
It's on my "christmas list". At 30 bucks its a great stocking stuffer with Tokobot. I enjoyed the hell out of Namco Battle Collection and i'm figuring I will love this one because theres a lot more games on this one I enjoy.

Anyanka

I don't have a PSP but I'm still getting it because it's a MK game. It's sad.

I bet it STILL has the Smoke glitch in MK II.

Why has Midway been intent on featuring Mortal Kombat 3 lately, but not Ultimate MK3? I guess just a money thing, but I doubt they could milk it for that much more later, and this is the second compilation where they've featured the original, not the revision.

Kulock said:
Why has Midway been intent on featuring Mortal Kombat 3 lately, but not Ultimate MK3? I guess just a money thing, but I doubt they could milk it for that much more later, and this is the second compilation where they've featured the original, not the revision.
yeah i still don't get why they don't include UMK3... 22264-22264

shuri

Banned
Is the AI still fucking insane? I won't buy it if the AI in the mk game is incredibly hard like it was in the console versions

Anyanka

Most people find the arcade AI to be even worse than the console versions.

As sad as it sounds I would honestly not be surprised if Midway simply doesn't realize MK3 is not the final version.

shuri

Banned
I, somehow in my morning stupor, messed up what I wanted to type. what I meant is that the A.I in the mk games was waaay too hard in Midway Classics Volume 2. I barely played with it because of that

Agent X

Anyanka said:

You have almost all of them now, right? I remember you said something in another thread that you had almost every home version of every MK game, even some of the really obscure versions that never came out over here.

Are there some versions that you have solely to collect and others that you also play? For the ones you do play, do you have a second copy that you keep sealed for collectibility?

Anyanka said:
I bet it STILL has the Smoke glitch in MK II.

Let's hope not. The smart thing to do would be to assign a different, unused button to function solely as the in-game equivalent of the arcade machine's Start button.

Kulock said:

Yeah, that's another reason (along with the M rating) why I would've liked to see the three MK games split off from this package and included on another disc. Since the PSP given them a "fresh start" of sorts, they could've done a themed compilation like they did with Midway Arcade Treasures 3 on the TV-based consoles, which featured driving and racing games.

If it were up to me, I would've split off the three MK games, and maybe a handful of other relatively violent games like Rampage and Xenophobe, and saved them for a possible volume 2. Fill in the gaps with a few of the missing games (I'd suggest Defender II, Robotron: 2084, Blaster, Tapper, Satan's Hollow, Gauntlet II, and Joust 2 as possibilities). This package should be able to get an E10+ or a T rating. The next Midway disc would then be an M-rated "fighting" collection featuring all of the early MK titles mentioned before, with the addition of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Mortal Kombat Trilogy (yes, I know it's not an arcade game), and perhaps even Mortal Kombat 4, as well as some other fighting games like Primal Rage and Pit-Fighter. Also throw in Smash T.V., Total Carnage, and Narc, as well as Rampage and Xenophobe that I mentioned earlier, and you're good to go!

Shinobi

Anyanka said:

:lol

I saw video of the three MK games on Electric Playground last week, and they all look stellar.

Anyanka

Agent X said:
You have almost all of them now, right? I remember you said something in another thread that you had almost every home version of every MK game, even some of the really obscure versions that never came out over here.

Are there some versions that you have solely to collect and others that you also play? For the ones you do play, do you have a second copy that you keep sealed for collectibility?

I have every one except MK for Master System, MK II for Amiga and MK3 for Gamegear. The first two are not that rare, I just haven't got around to getting them yet. MK3 for Gamegear will be harder to find. I've seen it on Ebay once.

I don't care about them being sealed or mint. As long as they're in good condition with the box and manuals.

What's really sad is that I am not even that into the games anymore. I like the old ones out of nostalgia but the only reason I collect the post MK4 games is out of habbit and for the sake of having the complete library.

My list:
1. Mortal Kombat(SNES)
2. Mortal Kombat(Genesis)
3. Mortal Kombat(Sega CD)
4. Mortal Kombat(PC)
5. Mortal Kombat(Amiga)
6. Mortal Kombat(Gameboy)
7. Mortal Kombat(Gamegear)
8. Mortal Kombat(TV Games)
9. Mortal Kombat(Arcade)
10. Mortal Kombat II(SNES)
11. Mortal Kombat II(Genesis)
12. Mortal Kombat II(32X)
13. Mortal Kombat II(Saturn)
14. Mortal Kombat II(PSX)
15. Mortal Kombat II(PC)
16. Mortal Kombat II(Master System)
17. Mortal Kombat II(Gameboy)
18. Mortal Kombat II(Gamegear)
19. Mortal Kombat II(arcade)
20. Mortal Kombat & Mortal Kombat II(Gameboy)
21. Mortal Kombat 3(SNES)
22. Mortal Kombat 3(Genesis)
23. Mortal Kombat 3(PC)
24. Mortal Kombat 3(PSX)
25. Mortal Kombat 3(Master System)
26. Mortal Kombat 3(Gameboy)
27. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(SNES)
28. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(Genesis)
29. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(Saturn)
30. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(arcade)
31. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(PSX)
32. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(N64)
33. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(Saturn)
34. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(Game.com)
35. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(PC)
36. Mortal Kombat Advance(GBA)
37. Mortal Kombat 4(PSX)
38. Mortal Kombat 4(N64)
39. Mortal Kombat 4(PC)
40. Mortal Kombat 4(GBC)
41. Mortal Kombat 4(arcade)
42. Mortal Kombat Gold(DC)
43. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(PS2)
44. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(Xbox)
45. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(GC)
46. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(GBA)
47. Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition(GBA)
48. Mortal Kombat Deception: Premium Pack(PS2)
49. Mortal Kombat Deception: Kollector’s Edition(Xbox)
50. Mortal Kombat Deception(GC)
51. Mortal Kombat Mythologies(PSX)
52. Mortal Kombat Mythologies(N64)
53. Mortal Kombat Special Forces(PSX)
54. Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks(PS2)
55. Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks(Xbox)
56. Midway Arcade Treasures 2(Xbox)
57. Midway Arcade Treasures 2(PS2)
58. Midway Arcade Treasures 2(GC)

My favorite is my brand new copy of MK II for PSX, a rare Japanese import. Too bad the actual port sucks.

And of course the arcades. I am very proud of my MK3. Dedicated MK3s like this are extremely hard to find since most operators bought it as a kit back then.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/Anyanka7/MK23.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/Anyanka7/MK1.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/Anyanka7/MK2.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/Anyanka7/mk3.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/Anyanka7/MK4.jpg

Anyanka

evil ways said:
I wonder, did you turn the machines on for the pics or do you always leave them like that during the day?

Turned them on for the pics. Having everything(16 games) on is really loud, it's like being in an arcade.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
-5 to Midway for not putting aspect ratio configuration into this compilation
and another -5 for arbitrarily choosing whatever aspect ratio they wanted for each game individually, rather than at least being consistent and keeping it to original aspect ratio as much as possible.

I just picked this up tonight and I've only played a few games so far but here's what I've found:

- The MK games are all faithful to original aspect ratio and don't appear stretched in any way.
- Defender, Joust and Spy Hunter are all stretched to fill the screen
- Sinistar does not seem to be stretched but still seems to be filtered in some way because the display is on the soft/blurred side

evil ways

Are the MKs straight ports from the Midway Arcade Treasures 2/MK Deception disc? Like still having a sped up MK1, certain sound glitches and the flickering character shadows from MK2?

kaching said:
- The MK games are all faithful to original aspect ratio and don't appear stretched in any way.
- Sinistar does not seem to be stretched but still seems to be filtered in some way because the display is on the soft/blurred side
Wow, that's completely retarded. I had brief hope for this package, but now that's shot all to hell. Is anybody at Midway (or other companies) paying attention to how games like these are treated in compilations? Does anybody care?

shuri

Banned
kaching said:
and another -5 for arbitrarily choosing whatever aspect ratio they wanted for each game individually, rather than at least being consistent and keeping it to original aspect ratio as much as possible.

I just picked this up tonight and I've only played a few games so far but here's what I've found:

How is the a.i in the mk games?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
evil ways: I'm not well-versed in any of the other MK ports. MK1 doesn't seem sped up to me and I haven't seen any flickering shadows or heard any sound glitches in MK2 yet.

shuri: sorry, probably not the best person to ask on that. Seems about what I remember.

bog: 2.0

Thanks for the info, I was going to ask for it for christmas. But I'm going to wait till a price drop or a cheap used price.

The MK games are great but really I'm a lamer with no friends, so the wireless multiplayer is pretty useless.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Anyanka said:
I have every one except MK for Master System, MK II for Amiga and MK3 for Gamegear. The first two are not that rare, I just haven't got around to getting them yet. MK3 for Gamegear will be harder to find. I've seen it on Ebay once.

I don't care about them being sealed or mint. As long as they're in good condition with the box and manuals.

What's really sad is that I am not even that into the games anymore. I like the old ones out of nostalgia but the only reason I collect the post MK4 games is out of habbit and for the sake of having the complete library.

My list:
1. Mortal Kombat(SNES)
2. Mortal Kombat(Genesis)
3. Mortal Kombat(Sega CD)
4. Mortal Kombat(PC)
5. Mortal Kombat(Amiga)
6. Mortal Kombat(Gameboy)
7. Mortal Kombat(Gamegear)
8. Mortal Kombat(TV Games)
9. Mortal Kombat(Arcade)
10. Mortal Kombat II(SNES)
11. Mortal Kombat II(Genesis)
12. Mortal Kombat II(32X)
13. Mortal Kombat II(Saturn)
14. Mortal Kombat II(PSX)
15. Mortal Kombat II(PC)
16. Mortal Kombat II(Master System)
17. Mortal Kombat II(Gameboy)
18. Mortal Kombat II(Gamegear)
19. Mortal Kombat II(arcade)
20. Mortal Kombat & Mortal Kombat II(Gameboy)
21. Mortal Kombat 3(SNES)
22. Mortal Kombat 3(Genesis)
23. Mortal Kombat 3(PC)
24. Mortal Kombat 3(PSX)
25. Mortal Kombat 3(Master System)
26. Mortal Kombat 3(Gameboy)
27. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(SNES)
28. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(Genesis)
29. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(Saturn)
30. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(arcade)
31. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(PSX)
32. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(N64)
33. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(Saturn)
34. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(Game.com)
35. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(PC)
36. Mortal Kombat Advance(GBA)
37. Mortal Kombat 4(PSX)
38. Mortal Kombat 4(N64)
39. Mortal Kombat 4(PC)
40. Mortal Kombat 4(GBC)
41. Mortal Kombat 4(arcade)
42. Mortal Kombat Gold(DC)
43. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(PS2)
44. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(Xbox)
45. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(GC)
46. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(GBA)
47. Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition(GBA)
48. Mortal Kombat Deception: Premium Pack(PS2)
49. Mortal Kombat Deception: Kollector’s Edition(Xbox)
50. Mortal Kombat Deception(GC)
51. Mortal Kombat Mythologies(PSX)
52. Mortal Kombat Mythologies(N64)
53. Mortal Kombat Special Forces(PSX)
54. Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks(PS2)
55. Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks(Xbox)
56. Midway Arcade Treasures 2(Xbox)
57. Midway Arcade Treasures 2(PS2)
58. Midway Arcade Treasures 2(GC)

My favorite is my brand new copy of MK II for PSX, a rare Japanese import. Too bad the actual port sucks.

And of course the arcades. I am very proud of my MK3. Dedicated MK3s like this are extremely hard to find since most operators bought it as a kit back then.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/Anyanka7/MK23.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/Anyanka7/MK1.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/Anyanka7/MK2.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/Anyanka7/mk3.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/Anyanka7/MK4.jpg

And this is from a girl gamer, gentlemen!

If this doesn't gain you some mad respect as the hardest hardcore girl gamer on the entire internet Anyanka, I don't know what will. *bows*

Frag Dolls? *pffft*

Agent X

kaching said:

Darn, that really bites.

Do you know who developed this? If it was done by Digital Eclipse, then there's the possibility that zooming and/or aspect ratio might be an option.

I remember that for the first day or two that I had Atari Anthology on PS2 (also developed by Digital Eclipse), I was rather disappointed with the wacky, shrunken display that it had by default...until I found the option for the user to rescale the image to his liking. After that, I was much happier with it. Of course, this option is not mentioned anywhere in the manual, so I'd bet the vast majority of Atari Anthology owners aren't playing these games the way they ought to be played.

kaching said:

Is Sinistar playable in vertical orientation? I saw a screen for Toobin' that was vertically oriented.

For games that originally used a vertically-oriented monitor (which I think are just Sinistar, Spy Hunter, and Toobin'), is it possible to switch them between vertical and horizontal orientation?

Aspect ratio issues aside, how good is the emulation or conversion of the games?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yeah, Digital Eclipse was involved with this but I can't find an option to control video scaling/aspect ratio anywhere. Nothing in the manual and nothing in the settings for the games I've checked. So unless there's a secret code for it I don't think I'm simply missing it.

Sinistar is not vertically oriented. Toobin' is though. There's no option to switch vert/horz orientation either. Games like Xenophobe, Rampage and Paperboy are the only ones that don't suffer too much from the stretch, as you surmised at the top of the thread, Agent X.

But the general emulation seems decent otherwise. No obvious sound A/V glitches, slowdown or anything like that. The MK games suffer from load screens in between character select and stages - I have no idea if that's to be expected from some of the other emulated versions of this game. Also, I may have been hasty in evaluating the AI as normal in the previous post - were AI opponents so high punch happy in the original MK2? They seem almost singlemindedly obsessed with just walking up to you and punching you in the face for as long as you allow it. MK1 & MK3 seem not to be so single-minded by comparison.

evil ways

There are still sound issues with MK 2 and MK 3, and now there's these annoying stutters or pauses before and/or during certain fatalities, most notably in MK2 with Sub-Zero. The game freezes a good 2 seconds when he connects his uppercut to shatter the frozen opponent to pieces.

Anyanka

LakeEarth said:
Is that 3rd Strike I see in the background? Good man.

No, you're either seeing Killer Instinct 2 or Tekken Tag Tournament. The only SF game I have is Alpha 3 and a bunch of CPS2 carts. But I do love 3S and will get that eventually.

Also, I may have been hasty in evaluating the AI as normal in the previous post - were AI opponents so high punch happy in the original MK2? They seem almost singlemindedly obsessed with just walking up to you and punching you in the face for as long as you allow it. MK1 & MK3 seem not to be so single-minded by comparison.

I'd have to play it to say for sure but I bet it's just the regular old MK II AI, which has always been stupid.

And this is from a girl gamer, gentlemen!

If this doesn't gain you some mad respect as the hardest hardcore girl gamer on the entire internet Anyanka, I don't know what will. *bows*

Frag Dolls? *pffft*

thanks....too bad it's MK so nobody cares

Does the music still cut out in the ending? What about the Smoke glitch where you could not fight him in MK II because start paused?

And can you save the UKK in MK3? Trying to enter that using two controllers EVERY TIME you played MK3 was horrible.

Agent X

kaching said:
Yeah, Digital Eclipse was involved with this but I can't find an option to control video scaling/aspect ratio anywhere. Nothing in the manual and nothing in the settings for the games I've checked. So unless there's a secret code for it I don't think I'm simply missing it.

Seems like Digital Eclipse put their B-team on this project. :(

kaching said:
Sinistar is not vertically oriented. Toobin' is though. There's no option to switch vert/horz orientation either.

Weird! That's strange that they would be so inconsistent, having one game play in vertical mode while another one locked into horizontal.

Sinistar is 240x292, so the weird effect you noticed is probably the image being scaled down a little to fit in a 272-pixel vertical screen. Namco Museum Battle Collection also had this, but it was merely one of many display options available to the user.

How does the control in Toobin' work here? The arcade game used five buttons--two for forward paddle, two for back paddle, and one for throwing cans.

While we're on the subject of control, I also want to ask about Rampart. How does that one control? Take a look at this thread (in particular, post #9) for the reason why I'm concerned. In a nutshell, Digital Eclipse botched the control for this particular game on the PS2 version of MAT, and I hope they did not repeat the mistake here.

kaching said:
But the general emulation seems decent otherwise. No obvious sound A/V glitches, slowdown or anything like that. The MK games suffer from load screens in between character select and stages - I have no idea if that's to be expected from some of the other emulated versions of this game. Also, I may have been hasty in evaluating the AI as normal in the previous post - were AI opponents so high punch happy in the original MK2? They seem almost singlemindedly obsessed with just walking up to you and punching you in the face for as long as you allow it. MK1 & MK3 seem not to be so single-minded by comparison.

Thanks for all your comments, kaching!

This looks like it might still be worth getting for at least a few of the games, but I'm really surprised that Digital Eclipse dropped the ball on so many aspects of the visual presentation (particularly screen orientation, image rescaling, and aspect ratio), especially after they paid so much attention to this in the past. Most of their PS1 classic game compilations they've worked on were totally ace, especially when considering the hardware they worked with. In the current generation they've stumbled here and there, but have generally maintained a fairly high quality level.

This, though, sounds like they were rushed out the door to get it out in time for the holidays. I'm not a PSP game programmer, and I don't play one on TV, but wouldn't you think it would take more effort to scale and stretch out the image from Defender, Joust, Gauntlet, etc., rather than leave them at their natural pixel resolutions? Ideally the player should be given the choice to do stretched or original resolution (as Namco so thoughtfully did), but if I'm developing the game and I can only implement one or the other (but not both) in the final product, then it's goodbye stretch mode! It's not only because of the added programming work, but also because that's what I think most of the intended audience would prefer.

Sorry for the rant, but after dealing with pixel-reduced versions of these games for Lynx, Game Gear, GBA, etc. for so many years, here we finally have a mainstream handheld that should be more than capable of giving pixel-perfect versions of over 80% of these games (and "not-as-much-reduced" versions of the rest), and they still got it wrong on several of these games! I'm still interested in trying this for myself, but I think I want to do so first before I commit to a purchase.

bumpkin

kaching said:
Does the game pause momentarily to load when Shang Tsung morphs in MK2?

evil ways

There's no loads during Shang's morphs but every once in a while there's a glitch where the character he morphs into turns invisible for a second or 2.

After playing both MK2 and 3 for a few hours it's pretty clear that they either suffer from shitty emulation or the team didn't know how to port the MAT2 games into PSP.

mosaic

go eat paint
MAT: EP works fine on DevHook on a 1.5 unit, but Fastloader chokes once you try to load one of the games from the menu. Hilarious that overclocked to 333 the snow in the menu is fluid and not choppy. Hehehe.

I want to hear more details than this review provides. I don't care about Mortal Kombat, so I don't care it that's messed up. I want to know about

Joust
Rampart
Klax
Marble Madness
Wizard of Wor
Gauntlet
Championshp Sprint
Xybots
Xenophobe

Nothing but vague mentions of "control problems" does me no good.

Agent X

Mosaic did a nice review of it on PSX Extreme, which you can read if you click here.

http://www.psxextreme.com/scripts/reviews3/review.asp?RevID=52

review from PSX Extreme said:
Instead of writing up the rest of this review the normal way, I'm just going to organize my notes and let them speak for themselves. Sure, that's the lazy way to do it, but Midway took the easy out with this disc and I figure I should be able to do the same thing reviewing it. "Garbage in, garbage out," as they say.

He then proceeded with very brief summaries of the strengths and weaknesses of each game in the collection, mostly focusing on the quality of the emulation or conversion and describing any notable flaws. Even though it's unconventional and not "the normal way," I think this sort of rundown is beneficial to someone like myself who would be curious how well each individual game survived the transition to the PSP. Thanks, mosaic! :)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Some added notes to that review :

Gauntlet - really doesn't look good stretched, sound samples are SLOW!

mosaic

go eat paint
The more I play the compilation, the more I'm beginning to feel like Arch Rivals and Xybots are the only games I'm enjoying... although Joust, Defender, and the really old stuff fared very well (as did MK1, but not MK2/3). Eh, I'm still angry Smash TV isn't on it.

Opine: I'd bet money Midway made Digital Eclipse rush to get this sucker done before the holidays, because all of the little problems just scream "easily fixed." Gives me hope that Capcom and Taito's upcoming retro packs won't be so shoddy, since they're coming out after Christmas.

Agent X

mosaic said:
Oops, I REALLY need to edit that and change my comments about analog control.

You CAN use the nub... although, in practice, it's worthless.

The nub seems to function like an emulated d-pad and not a multidirectional analog nub, so Marble Madness, 720, and some other games still have terrible diagonal response or just sluggish controls altogether.

Oh, good, because I was going to ask you about that.

What you describe sounds like what they did with analog thumbstick control in certain games in MAT1 on the PlayStation 2. It's very noticeable on Rampart, which still has 8-directional control like a digital joystick, despite the fact that the specific variation of the arcade game being emulated is the trackball version (evident since it allows for three players--the "joystick version" of the arcade game only allowed two). It wasn't an "across the board" thing, since a few other games in that package (such as RoadBlasters) did utilize true analog control.

Still, I can't believe they cheaped out. I mean, every PSP system that is fully functional has an analog nub on it...so why would they not implement proper analog control on games that supported it? I'm inclined to think that these were quick and dirty ports of the games from the PS2 MAT collections, since that and some of the glitches that you described (such as the ones in the Mortal Kombat games) mirror the problems present in the PS2 games. Too bad, since this could have been a great opportunity for them to fix what was broken.

No multimedia historical extras, either. Double-you tee eff? I understand the ones on the PS2/GC/X-Box were mostly recycled from the old PS1 discs, but at least they had 'em.

It's really disappointing if you go back and look at the compilations from Midway and Digital Eclipse on the PS1. When Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits came out on PS1, I was absolutely floored at what they were able to do, in terms of emulation (even including the arcade operator's back door screens) as well as the histories and the programmer interview videos. They were selling 5-7 games per disc for $50, but the quality was outstanding! They just had such a meticulous attention to detail.

Now you can understand why I'm flabbergasted that their packages in the last couple of years have been a step backward in certain ways. They do offer more games for less money, which I am very happy about, but they also cut a lot of corners that weren't cut in the PS1/Saturn days. They also don't support most of the auxiliary controllers anymore--for example, you could use a mouse or trackball in the PS1 collections, but not on their PS2 counterparts. I don't know if it's Midway or Digital Eclipse that is slacking on these packages, since Digital Eclipse was still able to deliver the goods with their recent Atari compilations. I just hope they understand what they did wrong, since I don't know when or if they'll ever be able to put out another compilation disc on PSP that can fix what is broken with these particular games.

I echo what Agent X is saying here.

I will end up getting this, if only because most of the games I really care about seem to be OK-- and because at least one guy at work will be getting it to, so I'm sure we'll play wirelessly at some point.

This really does tick me off though. Back in the day, I traded email with Jeff Vavasour, the head of Digital Ecplise, and he clearly cared a great deal about these games and getting them right.

jgkspsx

Ignatz Mouse said:
This really does tick me off though. Back in the day, I traded email with Jeff Vavasour, the head of Digital Ecplise, and he clearly cared a great deal about these games and getting them right.
Jeff is a great guy and one of the best to post in RGVC. Digital Eclipse isn't its own entity any longer; they were swallowed up by some small development concern several years ago. Of course, Midway is largely to blame, as well, because (cf. GBA Midway Arcade Classics) they don't give two shits about these games.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Can someone please provide a specific break down of what's wrong with MK1, 2, and 3?

Are the problems the same as the MKD:Collectors Edition and MAT2 versions of those games?

Are there additional problems (new glitches? more slowdown?)?

I've been thinking about getting this and if I do the MK games are likely the only ones I'll really play.

Thanks.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
DCharlie said:
ooo... what is on the Capcom retro pack if you please?

At the very least, it has:

* 1941 – A vertical shooter that challenges player to shoot down enemy fighters, buildings, ships and vehicles.
* Avengers - A unique top down, vertically scrolling beat 'em up has players roving through the gang riddled streets of Paradise City in search of the ring leader who has taken hostages.
* Block Block – An innovative twist to the block breaking genre, Block Block features a two player co-op mode, allowing for the cooperative destruction of blocks. Also unique to this title was the constantly shrinking paddle that forced player to finish each board as quickly as possible.
* Captain Commando – Following in the footsteps of several great side-scrolling brawler titles, this four player co-op game tracks the adventures of four intergalactic space rangers who must enforce peace throughout the galaxy.
* Magic Sword – An intense side-scrolling game that takes players through 50 levels of the ominous Dragon Tower in order to defeat the evil Drokkmar.
* Quiz and Dragons – The most innovative quiz game of its time which features integrated RGP style gameplay. Taking place on a virtual board game, players would roll the dice to determine their progression. A battle would ensue if characters landed on an enemy. Knowledge is power as quizzes are provided with each confronted challenger. Answering correctly is a strike against the enemy. A wrong answer is a strike against the player.
* Street Fighter – The game that started the entire fighting phenomenon and created a generation of video game brawlers. The first Capcom fighting game only had two playable characters, Ken and Ryu, who would travel the world to compete in martial arts tournaments.
* Strider – An inventive action platform game that follows Strider Hiryu who must save the earth from the clutches of the evil Grandmaster Meio and his minions.
* Three Wonders – A compilation of three games in one that covered three different genres: horizontal scrolling platformer (Midnight Wanders), horizontal scrolling shooter (Chariot) and a puzzle game (Don't Pull).
* Varth – A scrolling aerial vertical shooter that has players in the cockpit of a plane firing shots on the offensive or defensive.

Top Bottom