• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix discontinues cloud gaming service CoreOnline

In a message posted on the company's support site, Square cited "limited commercial take-up" as the reason for the service's closure in late 2013.

Launched in August 2012, CoreOnline enabled users to play console quality games straight from the web.

Users could purchase single levels or entire games, or opt to play free, ad-supported content, with game time earned by watching video content.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...discontinues-cloud-gaming-service-coreonline/

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
For a moment I thought it was related to the awful DRM that FFVII and VIII use.

Never heard of this thing, not hard to believe nobody used it. :lol

Haunted

From the announcement in that thread:
Click play now on one of the missions and you'll be asked to install the Square Enix Secure Launcher. Once the game begins, you get 10 minutes of play time. After this expires, you're asked to watch an advert to earn additional minutes of playtime. Or you can pay $0.49 to unlock the level.

We were given a choice of a Mini Ninjas Adventures ad that lasts for one minute and 15 seconds for 25 minutes of game time; a Game Globe ad for 24 seconds for eight minutes of gaming; and a one minute one second Koozac ad for 20 minutes of game time.
Gee, I wonder why this wasn't popular.

wrowa

1 Minute ad for 20 minutes game time doesn't sound too bad, though.

But, yeah, I had no clue it existed either.

Mario007

And their Flare Cloud service will fare similarly. Seriously Square, stop trying to invent the new frontier and just focus on the things you've done well in the past: making good games. If you do that, people will actually buy them.

Famassu

And their Flare Cloud service will fare similarly. Seriously Square, stop trying to invent the new frontier and just focus on the things you've done well in the past: making good games. If you do that, people will actually buy them.
It's not like Nomura & his team(s) is(/are) working on this or something...

Top Bottom