• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A first person future when VR hits?

Kuro

If VR catches on, will most games be in the first person? Will it be like when 3D got popular and now 90% of non-indie console/PC games are in 3D?

Durante

Well, there are two answers to this.

Everything that is VR is "first person" to some extent. You are looking at some virtual reality through your eyes, and moving the camera from its position and around its axes directly.

On the other hand, there is no reason not to replicate third person or even isometric/top down gameplay within that VR view. For example, you can still "FP" control a camera following a character as in a third person game, or look down on a battle from above and control your troops. In a science fiction strategy game you could even have a holographic display in front of you and move your troops on that :p

VR will remain a niche for a while yet due to cost of entry, so "the future" wont yet change wholesale to accommodate it. (aside: is it fair to say that cost of entry to VR will ALWAYS be significantly higher than non vr, as you have to push 2x the pixels of a 'budget' single monitor set up, and at a higher frame rate? And hence that VR will always stay relatively niche (emphasis on relative here)?)

I suspect we'll see more games tout "Vr optimised" modes on top of their regular monitor mode though...

Clawww

First-person games are just the most obvious and natural implementation. We'll surely see some cool new perspectives. Hell, even within an FPS-like structure, actually being in 1:1 control of your head already makes it radically different.

syko de4d

If you play a 3rd Person game with Oculus Rift just wear some wings and annoy the guy in front of you with screaming "Hey!", "Hey! Listen!" and "Watch out!"

Navi: Be a annoying fairy simulator

Mulgrok

As others have stated, VR would be a great addition to any gameplay that requires spatial orientation. It would be awesome for 3D puzzle games.

I hope not. While true VR would alleviate a lot of the problems I have with first person I still won't like it. Aside from control limitations we already have I want to SEE the character, not BE the character. I don't want to be IN the game. I want to be at a distance controlling a developed character with their own motives and personality. I don't even like dialogue menus.

pixlexic

Banned
basically you will be the cameraman in third person games with a third axis control to look around separate from the camera and movement controls.

Mulgrok

I would really like to try out VR with an SRPG, like FFT. viewing the battlefield from all angles would be awesome! The depth perception would really enhance terrain features.

Azulsky

Would be interesting to see if they can incorporate this into camera control for DOTA and LoL somehow.

One of the most mechanically demanding aspects of those games can be to maintain a good view port during a very intense team fight sequence

DieH@rd

Banned
I dont want VR to be only gaming space for FPS games. I want 3rd person games, both traditional and new genres.

syko de4d

3rd Person games are just first person games from his view :D

Super-mario-64-screenshot-lakitu-cameraman-big.jpg
14997-super-mario-64-nintendo-64-screenshot-mario-checks-out-his.jpg

Azulsky

I dont want VR to be only gaming space for FPS games. I want 3rd person games, both traditional and new genres.

I dont see why they cant give a bounded camera. If you look left to a certain soft boundary then your viewport moves left unaffecting your aimer. But if you go too far then your aimer has to start rotating with your head.

Just picture the normal vector on your sternum and the one on your forehead. Eventually the sternum vector has to follow the forehead otherwise you snap your neck.

I would assume they have to give preference to your head otherwise you might get into one of these cases where you fuck your internal orientation up and vomit.

VR is going to be king for exploration type games. You will have more freedom to see things that are not directly in front of you on the guided tour.

Top Bottom