• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA released an update to Origin.

They did some back end stuff such as making the in game overlay work better and Origin uses slightly less memory. However the big improvement is custom game art. Yeah Steam and everything else could do it forever, though I think Origin currently is easier to do. At long last I can make those stupid default black Origin boxes go away for non-Origin games.

J2fXHq1.jpg

antitrop

Holy shit you have a lot of Origin games. Mine is like... Battlefield 3, 4 and... *sigh* Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

I'll add Titanfall to that in March and probably won't buy another game on the service for a long time.

Mesoian

Make everything as easy and comfortable as they can before Titanfall hits and they get a whole buttload of new users.

Grief.exe

Holy shit you have a lot of Origin games. Mine is like... Battlefield 3, 4 and... *sigh* Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

I'll add Titanfall to that in March and probably won't buy another game on the service for a long time.

I got a lot of games from the coupon fiasco a couple years ago.

OP probably did the same as I recognize many of those titles.

slapnuts

It almost seems like EA is a monopoly with all these buy-outs,etc and of course all the exclusive deals they have in the sports genre.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Make everything as easy and comfortable as they can before Titanfall hits and they get a whole buttload of new users.

You mean like when it was unusable for almost a day due to the humble bundle. We'll see how it holds up.

Mesoian

You mean like when it was unusable for almost a day due to the humble bundle. We'll see how it holds up.

Pretty much. I would hope they would understand the immense user load that's going to hit them that day.

I will not be the only one installing origin on my computer for Titanfall.

Right click game, custom grid icon, choose directory of image file, done.

Pretty hard to do on steam.

Its about the same. With Steam you have to create the image in 460x215 before hand where as within origin it will scale and crop the image with little input.

I got a lot of games from the coupon fiasco a couple years ago.

OP probably did the same as I recognize many of those titles.

Pretty much that and the Humble Bundle thing they did awhile back but I bought all the Sims titles and expansions at launch. The only ones I never got on the pc were those weird Sims Carnival games.

KissVibes

Banned
Origin actually works super well. Faster browser than steam and the client overall uses less memory. Glad to see Origin making improvements that should hopefully force steam to make too.

Steam is pretty atrocious from design standpoint. Speed and crashing issues as well.

Mesoian

Origin actually works super well. Faster browser than steam and the client overall uses less memory. Glad to see Origin making improvements that should hopefully force steam to make too.

Steam is pretty atrocious from design standpoint. Speed and crashing issues as well.

I mean, you can skin Steam. That's like, 90% of the design issues solved right there.

The Cowboy

Happy days, I've been waiting for this so I can make Origin my default game launcher - I prefer its layout/speed over Steams but didn't like that non Origin games couldn't have custom tiles.

WillyFive

They need a big picture mode.

And everything else Steam does.

But Steam would benefit from Twitch streaming, I think that's a cool feature from Origin.

Acosta

Crashing? I don't think Steam has crashed on me in a decade.

Origin is never going to be a competitor to Steam, so it's just a hassle, like Uplay. I don't mind competition but it certainly won't come from EA or Ubi.

Aside of Origin being barebones compared to what Steam offers, not even comparable.

Why did they name it Origin? Did they really need to recycle that name just because they owned the trademark? Everytime I think of EA's digital distribution service I think of another development house they killed.

TheGrue

Can someone tell me why my Origin client always seems to go away? Steam stays running all the time. I tried to do the same for Origin, but inevitably after running for a while, it just seems to disappear and doesn't auto run on Windows start, even though I have it checked. It's like it doesn't want me to use it and subsequently, I don't. I'm guessing it's due to updates or something? Steam does updates and at least tells me it did them and asks me to restart the client.

Can someone tell me why my Origin client always seems to go away? Steam stays running all the time. I tried to do the same for Origin, but inevitably after running for a while, it just seems to disappear and doesn't auto run on Windows start, even though I have it checked. It's like it doesn't want me to use it and subsequently, I don't. I'm guessing it's due to updates or something? Steam does updates and at least tells me it did them and asks me to restart the client.

Not sure. I've had cases where its running as a process but it doesn't appear on the desktop unless I right click on the quick launch icon and select my games. I've had that happen with a few other apps as well so I assume its my nvidia drivers virtual desktop or something.

iNvid02

from the origin thread

had a couple of beta updates over the past few days, not sure if this was added in recently or not but its about god damn time

a1TrZgS.png

theres some other stuff like auto exiting origiin after qutting a game and ignoring non critical game updates.

Dr Dogg

Good job you can hide games in Origin then ;)

It is quite nice to have the complete Battlefield, Crysis, Dead Space, Mass Effect and C&C collections all lined up on there though (more than half of I bought on Steam and reregistered the keys there.)

The Cowboy

from the origin thread

Nice, totally missed that.

No more messing with the files to adjust the timer to stop the popup for the featured today (we've only been requesting that for a year or 2 :D), I like the auto shutdown when exiting a game option as well, that's very nice (I'd like that on Steam)..

My origin collection is just Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Sim City, Dead Space 3 and Populous.

Yeah, I generally avoid buying games on Origin if I can purchase them on Steam.

obonicus

They did some back end stuff such as making the in game overlay work better and Origin uses slightly less memory. However the big improvement is custom game art. Yeah Steam and everything else could do it forever, though I think Origin currently is easier to do. At long last I can make those stupid default black Origin boxes go away for non-Origin games.

What's that Sims 4 box?

Top Bottom