• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyazaki: Japanese animators should go observe some real human beings

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/01/...strys-problem-is-that-its-full-of-anime-fans/

A series of screen captures from an interview given by Miyazaki was recently posted on Japanese website Golden Times. In the images, we see the director working on a drawing of a young girl, of course with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth (we’re beginning to suspect the smokes are some sort of growth that protrudes from Miyazaki’s mouth, given the rarity of seeing him without one).

As he sketches, Miyazaki expounds on why he’s able to do the things he does.

“You see, whether you can draw like this or not, being able to think up this kind of design, it depends on whether or not you can say to yourself, ‘Oh, yeah, girls like this exist in real life.’”

“If you don’t spend time watching real people, you can’t do this, because you’ve never seen it.”

additional quotes

“It’s produced by humans who can’t stand looking at other humans.”

“And that’s why the industry is full of otaku!”

I tend to agree with him, most anime depict unrealistic shallow characters, and adding moe elements and uguu influences is common practice in modern anime. It's hard to find anime that isn't made for obsessed fans, unless you go for the obscure stuff. If you didn't know and wonder who he is, Miyazaki is the co-founder of Studio Ghibli that created such movies as Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

My personal favourites:

nausicaaposterresizedqroqr.png

large_bwvhmppydv8p7mwdgqt5.jpg

whisperoftheheart787tgohh.png

Whisper of the Heart has a nice rendition of Country Road in Japanese though I cant seem to find it on youtube.

Tablo

Miyazaki is an interesting guy, he is sort of correct on the otaku stuff though, hurts the image of anime.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with literally every entertainment industry is that 90% of it is vapid and shallow. He's just describing the same thing in the anime industry.

Brutal. He makes a good point though, since he's always been big about the animation in his movies seeming "alive," though not necessarily being realistic.

Mesoian

He ain't wrong.

When over half of a season are all fetishistic shows that appeal to a very small percentage of people in japan who watch anime, you know they have a problem.

You know it's REAL bad when those shows steadily creep up the ranks in popularity.

Pau

Brutal. He makes a good point though, since he's always been big about the animation in his movies seeming "alive," though not necessarily being realistic.
Because Miyazaki actually understands how human beings work. Not just anatomically or whatever, but his characters aren't caricatures based on a limited set of archetypes.

iPad and masturbation? Explain!
Haha, that stood out too.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Smart guy hits the nail on the head. We need more Ghibli and less panty shots and gratuitous fan-service. Western audiences are too blame as well since the only stuff the so called anime-fans seem to promote are the shallow dinosaurs of DBZ/Naruto/One Piece etc.
Oh and Attack On Titan because it has naked giants in it (Is it actually good?)

Conversely, for every Breaking Bad we have several Jersey Shores. That's what DBZ is, Jersey Shore of anime. However, much like Breaking Bad, we should really promote the gems of the medium through word of mouth

The problem with literally every entertainment industry is that 90% of it is vapid and shallow. He's just describing the same thing in the anime industry.

While true I can also see an argument made for anime being in a little more of a positive or self-perpetuating feedback loop.

Silky

Banned
The problem with the gaming industry is it's full of gamers.

Am I doing it right, Miyazaki?

image.php

--

things like reading bakuman (while it's probably fictitious) made me get a more broader perspective on how the manga industry works when publishing new works on the shonen front, and how there's specific hoops you have to hop through in order to get anywhere big. I assume it's the same for anime

the best stories in anime are crafted by people whose had those personal experiences influence their art. it's the same as music--if you can't get involved and into a culture or lifestyle to sue as a basis for information then its most likely that something youve created is probably gonna be cliched shit.

i guess that's why I appreciate a lot about stuff like JoJo, Champloo, KotS, Zombiepowder etc

Kieli

I fucking despise K-On. It makes me want to puke. It's vile, hateful shit. A complete blight upon this Earth.

Someone throw those 4 blobs of meat into the world of Berserk, please.

I guess he is somewhat right? It's certainly a problem. The audience itself doesn't go out of it's way to improve things that much either.
I don't even know what otaku is.
A miserable pile of panties.
I fucking despise K-On. It makes me want to puke. It's vile, hateful shit. A complete blight upon this Earth.

Someone throw those 4 blobs of meat into the world of Berserk, please.
K-On probably isn't on the same plane as some of the stuff he considers a problem.

Doran902

I don't even know what otaku is.

I think they explained it in metal gear solid one time, someone who is obsessed with anime? Or was it someone who is obsessed with japanese culture?

Either way hes probably right. I have noticed with the anime that I have seen is all the same tropes over and over and over again and people won't act like real people 99 percent of the time. This isn't every anime though there are good ones.

Same can be said about Western television I guess.

Absolutely spot on comments from the legend. Anime is in terminal decline because of these abhorrent fetishists.

It has become increasingly insular as the years pass by; a closed group reserved for those who can draw the best waifu.

Ferrio

Banned
I think they explained it in metal gear solid one time, someone who is obsessed with anime? Or was it someone who is obsessed with japanese culture?

Either way hes probably right. I have noticed with the anime that I have seen is all the same tropes over and over and over again and people won't act like real people 99 percent of the time. This isn't every anime though there are good ones.

Same can be said about Western television I guess.

Basically it's a nerd to the extreme. Socially awkward etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom