• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Kinect Sensors used to monitor DMZ border with Best Korea

Free publicity! But I'm not sure this is the free publicity Microsoft wants.

Seoul (AFP) - Microsoft's movement-recognition Kinect software has morphed from virtual shooter gaming to the real-life challenge of guarding the world's last Cold War border.

The sensor allowing hands-free play on the Xbox is the basis for a security device now deployed along the demilitarised zone (DMZ) that separates North and South Korea, after being adapted by a South Korean programmer

Four kilometres (2.5 miles) wide and 248 kilometres (155 miles) long, the DMZ is a depopulated no-man's land of heavily fortified fences that bristles with the landmines and listening posts of two nations that technically remain at war.

As a military buffer zone, it remains an area of profound Cold War hostility, but its man-made isolation has also created an accidental wildlife park recognised as one of the best-preserved habitats on Earth.

The Kinect-based software developed by Ko Jae-Kwan, founder-president of Saewan Co., has been taken up by the military because of its ability to differentiate between human and animal movement.

Ko, 39, told AFP on Thursday that his device could detect the sound, movement and direction of anybody attempting to cross the DMZ and immediately alert South Korean border guards.

"Existing sensors, which had been in place along the border, were highly efficient but could not tell the difference between humans and animals, sending wrong signals frequently," Ko said.

The new sensors have been in place along certain sections of the DMZ since August last year, he added.
http://games.yahoo.com/news/39-no-game-xbox-sensor-guards-korean-border-041213175.html

b509641806a159a283a0e9e3ce91efc782fc68d6.jpg
northkoreapic.jpg

"Kinect, the one device that triggered the Asian Pacific war in N and S Korea that swallowed the entire world into a WWIII...... NEVER FORGET!" ~Professor GAFFER!

The Kinect's actually a pretty spectacular piece of technology with tons of practical and research applications. It's just sort of a shitty video game controller.

I actually hope it ends up turning a nice profit for Microsoft and convinces them to do more far-out R&D, I just wish they'd stop trying to make me use it in games. Put it on a drone and use it to save kittens from dark caves, or something.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
That is pretty cool, but how could they live with dat latency? Those miliseconds of lag are crucial!

Just so OP knows, this is being deployed by South Korea pointed at the DMZ.. Not North Korea. Also, it's the technology by the original developer of Kinect, which I believe is a Korean company, and so I doubt that MS gets any royalties, payments, or anything.

It's good publicity if you read the article.

Roflobear

This is pretty cool. Just today my Robotics professor was telling us that some scientists use Kinect for a robot's vision. Kinda interesting to see what other crazy things people can do with it

Randdalf

This is pretty cool. Just today my Robotics professor was telling us that some scientists use Kinect for a robot's vision. Kinda interesting to see what other crazy things people can do with it

They use a Kinect because it's a pre-packaged camera that's setup for depth detection, not for its the algorithms used to detect bodies etc.

Roflobear

They use a Kinect because it's a pre-packaged camera that's setup for depth detection, not for its the algorithms used to detect bodies etc.

Yea that's a good point. I just wasn't expecting hear the Kinect would be used for those purposes when scientists might have more fancy tools at their disposal. It's probably significantly cheaper I guess?

North Korea retaliate by setting up their own surveillance using ps2's eye toy.

You're overestimating their available resources. They might be able to cobble together a Maginot Line of scarecrows if they can find pants in good enough condition to hold the straw, but otherwise...

(North Korea doesn't actually try very hard to stop South Koreans from crossing the border. They just don't tend to let them leave once they've gotten in. They actually have a whole fake city set up along the DMZ with the express purpose of luring South Koreans in.)

Top Bottom