• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego the movie: The video game "We have come full circle.." Review(s)

rSpooky

!!!WARNING THIS GAME CONTAINS MOVIE SPOILERS!!!

LEGO THE MOVIE : THE VIDEOGAME

title_zps5658b5d3.jpg

INFO:

Release Date: 7 January 2014
Publisher: WB/LEGO
Developer: TT Games
Platform: ALL
Rating: E 10+
Genre: Action Platforming
Players: 1-2 Coop | drop in /drop out

07b981c7-cd9b-4dda-8f4c-2c91f4c44702_zps765999dc.jpg

STORY

You take the role of Emmet, an ordinary, rules-following, perfectly average (read Boring?) LEGO mini figure who is mistakenly for the most extraordinary person and the key to saving the world. Play along as he is drafted into a fellowship of strangers on an epic quest to stop an evil tyrant, a journey for which Emmet is hopelessly and hilariously under prepared.
This game follows the movie pretty closely so beware of spoilers. In fact it is loaded with clips straight from the movie and voice work from the movie cast.

wildstyle_zps524179d6.jpg

THE PREMISE:
Following the style of the previous released LEGO games , you work your way through the linear levels each connected by a hubworld as you play,collect and use LEGO instruction pages to build construction sets or harness the awesome power of the Master Builders to virtually build LEGO creations along the way. With more than 90 characters inspired by the film and 15 levels to explore and re-explore when you unlock new characters with different powers.

emmet2_zps0ccb52c4.jpg

Links:
LEGO: http://videogames.lego.com/en-us/lego-movie/about/videos
TT Games: http://www.ttgames.com/games/lego-movie-videogame.php

REVIEWS:
Everything is Awesome!

run_zps12ad4462.jpg

Financial post

TT Games’ latest is a love letter to kids young and old who keep a special place in their hearts for this remarkable toy and its endless possibilities.

Toronto Sun

...Every aspect of the Lego game formula is covered here, including hub worlds to explore between story chapters, side missions to undertake, a dizzying number of collectibles to find and areas that remain sealed off until players return to them later with a particular character...

Clever, colourful and weirdly comforting – there’s little to dislike about The Lego Movie Videogame, even if it feels assembled from the same bricks as its predecessors. Not everything is awesome, but it comes close enough.

Globe and Mail

...There are fewer collectibles and new characters to find than in previous Lego games, while the open-world hubs in between levels are also much smaller. It seems clear the developers were under significant time constraints to finish this game.

Still, The Lego Movie Videogame isn’t a cheap cinematic cash-in. While it doesn’t measure up to Traveller’s Tales masterpiece, last year’s Lego City Undercover for the Wii U, and it doesn’t live up to its theme song – where “everything is awesome” – it is indeed a colourful and fun puzzler that’s sure to please fans. But you’ll probably want to see the movie first.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Lunzio

The movie is doing surprisingly well when it comes to reviews so I actually wouldn't be surprised to see this surprise a few folks.

I think I may pick this up for my parents since they enjoy playing Disney Infinity together and they like LEGO although they've never played a LEGO game before. Looks like something I'd have fun playing with too. The reception to the movie and game seem to be pretty warm.

rSpooky

Is there an open world in this one or just levels?

From the little I have seen and read so far, it seems like it levels and shorter then then usual ones, but I did see parts where it would say something like "follow the green studs to continue the story line" so perhaps that means it allows for a little side exploring??

ReaperXL7

I bought it on PS4 this morning, but I can't play it until my daughter comes home. Also bought here a giant container of legos, and two tickets for the movie.

Its going to be a Lego weekend for us, I'll post impressions as soon as I can.

zigg

In its very nature it allows TT to be a lot more creative than licensed material.
See: LEGO City Undercover.

My wife is picking up the Wii U version today (free ticket inside, minifig) so we'll see how it stacks up, I guess.

Need to see the movie too obviously 😊

Certinty

Got this preordered for the PS4.

Interested if it has an open world though, would be pretty disappointing if it does not.

Debating xbox one or ps4 version. I'm a sucker for achievements but I want the best version. Gonna surprise my kids with the game when I get off of work.

Dunlop

My kids are at the in-laws who will bringing them to see the movie today.

I was actually almost upset when I found out lol

Bought it (digitally -- from work) for Xbox One...also taking my son to the movie...can't decide if I want to see the movie before playing (to avoid spoilers)...will post impressions.

The Game is coming out today/tomorrow? not a single preview or review from the usual suspects, I don't know what to think about it.

see5harp

When do you suppose this franchise will take the gigantic mammoth leap to add online coop to their game engine? I enjoy these games but don't see what the problem is. It's like they are developing in a time capsule.

raviolico

When do you suppose this franchise will take the gigantic mammoth leap to add online coop to their game engine? I enjoy these games but don't see what the problem is. It's like they are developing in a time capsule.

well, they have to keep the kids safe from the terrors of the internet i guess... ;-)

I bought it on PS4 this morning, but I can't play it until my daughter comes home. Also bought here a giant container of legos, and two tickets for the movie.

High five man, way to make it an awesome weekend for her.

Surprisingly the movie looks really good, I'd like to see these guys do more creative things Ike this and city undercover.

kulapik

I'm seeing some gameplay and it seems that the game uses scenes from the movie as cutscenes. I don't know what to take from that.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm seeing some gameplay and it seems that the game uses scenes from the movie as cutscenes. I don't know what to take from that.

See the movie first. Personally, that's no biggie for me since it is based off the film. But I can see why that would be a problem for others, too.

I'll be picking this up, as much as I love open-world Lego, I'm happy with levels.

raviolico

yep, very unfortunate for impatient folks like me because the movie won`t hit until april in some countries.

murgo

Aww man.. we still have to wait till April for both the movie and the game. By then the Blu-ray will probably be out already in the US :(

ito007

awesome! sounds like you and your daughter are gonna have a great time

Top Bottom