• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Keeper Microtransaction, goes mainstream.

Moosichu

pay to
delete if old, but I saw this on the frontpage of bbc.co.uk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26033685

Electronic Arts is facing strong criticism over the in-app payment system in its Dungeon Keeper game.

Many said the game was "unplayable" unless they spent significant sums to speed up progress and get upgrades.

EA said it had designed the game to fit in with typical patterns of mobile play and people did not have to spend money if they did not want to.

Peter Molyneux, maker of the original Dungeon Keeper, said EA had not got the game's balance right.

There is more at the link. Consumers really do have a voice don't they? :)

edit: Took a screenshot, what is a recommended site to upload to display here? ( sorry about noob question )

I don't even think EA cares anymore about bad press, I think they've embraced it almost. To be honest, everything they've done from Sim City's launch, BF4's launch, brokering exclusivity to MS for Titanfall, PvZ 2, Dungeon Keeper on mobile, etc, there hasn't been one example of giving the customers more value or an attempt to improve the reputation of their company.

Hah, didn't expect the BBC of all places to pick up this story. Very cool. Maybe this will put some pressure on EA?
Probably not. :(

They even quote Sterling on there:

Reviewer Jim Sterling from The Escapist said the constant need for hundreds of gems undermined the game's claim to be "free to play".

"It's free to wait, but not to play anything," he wrote. "There's nothing to actually play."

<3

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sarcasm? People still bought Cim City 2013 in droves, making EA lots of money.

SimCity's engine also cost EA a lot of money. If they were still making plenty, I doubt they'd be adding an offline mode. It made all that money upfront, but I'd be surprised if any of the DLC is doing well.

Peter Molyneux, maker of the original Dungeon Keeper, said EA had not got the game's balance right.

Microtransaction is now replaced by balance.

"Guys... you didnt got it right. We need to add more Gem actions!"

Top Bottom