• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Games Drawing Near? Luminaries Of The Legendary Line Registered In US

Square Enix still hasn’t said anything about releasing more Dragon Quest games, but something is cooking. Siliconera found a trademark for Luminaries of the Legendary Line registered by Square Enix in the USA. Last year, Siliconera found that same potential Dragon Quest subtitle registered along with The Seeds of Salvation in Japan. Both trademarks follow the same alliteration Square Enix has used for Dragon Quest games in the past.

The question is which Dragon Quest game will this be for? It could be the Dragon Quest Monsters remakes for 3DS or perhaps the Nintendo 3DS remake of Dragon Quest VII. The more I think about it Luminaries of the Legendary Line seems to fit Dragon Quest III’s story, which would might mean this is for the suite of smartphone remakes.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/02/1...ries-legendary-line-trademark-registered-usa/

Celegus

Isn't III supposed to be one of the better ones? I'd be down for that (as long as I don't have to play it on my tablet).

Hsieh

Luminaries of the Legendary Line has "Dragon Quest III" written all over it.

Sounds like Dragon Quest II because "Luminaries" is plural. Dragon Quest I and III each only had one character from the line of Erdrick/Roto. Dragon Quest II is the only game to have more than one character from the line of Erdrick/Roto.

clem84

Gold Member
Sounds like Dragon Quest II because "Luminaries" is plural. Dragon Quest I and III each only had one character from the line of Erdrick/Roto. Dragon Quest II is the only game to have more than one character from the line of Erdrick/Roto.

Unless you refer to all 3 games together? All the heroes from DQ 1 to 3 are the luminaries of the legendary line.

The more I think about it, the more I think that it could be some kind of DQ 1-3 compilation. Could this be the Wii 25th anniversary compilation from 2011 that had the NES and SNES versions of DQ 1 to 3? 2014 marks the 25th anniversary of DQ in North America so it's possible.

OmegaDL50

Luminaries of the Legendary Line is definitely about DQ1 through 3.

1 and 2 go heavily into the fact the heroes are descendants of a legendary hero named Loto (Erdrick for those that liked the original NES localization),
which said hero Loto, is actually the main of DQ3 make it a direct prequel to DQ1 and 2.

The subtitle makes this a no brainer this is probably about DQ1,2, and 3.

It wouldn't be about DQ4,5, and 6 as that was about the Zenithian Race and Heaven, and the Zenithian trilogy already has subtitles for the DS remakes, and DQ7 is about
recreating a world piece by piece that was sealed away by God to prevent a great Demon from reviving.

So yeah, the Loto trilogy seems the most logical answer, In fact said trilogy was actually a Wii release in Japan, which was never localized.

dq123_anniversary_thumb.jpg

I really don't see a reason for them to localize this after all this time for the Wii U, so I'd say Android / iOS is more likely at this time.

KiTA

The reason they would localize them is this year is the 25th anniversary of Dragon Quest in the US. Those Wii remakes were made for the 25th anniversary of Dragon Quest in Japan.

But no, I was thinking this was DQ2, with DQ3 being the Seeds of Salvation. DQ2 involves the DQ1 hero's decendants, DQ3 has some other plot related things AND is the first game to introduce the Seed items that increase your base stats. However, the fact that they haven't registered Seeds in the US throws that one for a loop.

steveovig

A collection of these games would be beyond awesome. I hate SE for their treatment of the franchise. It seems like a total afterthought for them, outside of Japan. If it ain't their overly melodramatic Final Fantasy games, they don't care.

KiTA

A collection of these games would be beyond awesome. I hate SE for their treatment of the franchise. It seems like a total afterthought for them, outside of Japan. If it ain't their overly melodramatic Final Fantasy games, they don't care.

Square Enix US used to be Squaresoft US. They fired the Enix side of things outright when Enix bought out Squaresoft. They have a far greater passion for the Final Fantasy side of things, and it shows.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The more I think about it, the more I think that it could be some kind of DQ 1-3 compilation. Could this be the Wii 25th anniversary compilation from 2011 that had the NES and SNES versions of DQ 1 to 3? 2014 marks the 25th anniversary of DQ in North America so it's possible.

Haha, I wish I could share your optimism. It's gonna be the iOS ports.

Even Final Fantasy Zero didn't get released. I'd say we need Nintendo to publish if we want to see that collection or DQ7 at all. If it wasn't for Nintendo we never would have gotten the DS remakes in English.

Pharaun

I really don't see a reason for them to localize this after all this time for the Wii U, so I'd say Android / iOS is more likely at this time.

I don't see a WiiU version happening either, but I'd buy like 12 copies if it did. iOS/Android is much more likely, and if all three come in one package then I'd probably buy it. I'd hate myself the next morning for doing it, but DQ needs all the support it can get outside of Japan.

terrisus

Siliconera found a trademark for Luminaries of the Legendary Line registered by Square Enix in the USA. Last year, Siliconera found that same potential Dragon Quest subtitle registered along with The Seeds of Salvation in Japan. Both trademarks follow the same alliteration Square Enix has used for Dragon Quest games in the past.

So... "We found the same trademark that we found last year... Nothing was done with it last year... But maybe things will be different this year!..."

KiTA

Nintendo only published DQ VI and IX, the other two were published by SquareEnix.

And Joker2, which apparently killed the franchise in the US.

So... "We found the same trademark that we found last year... Nothing was done with it last year... But maybe things will be different this year!..."

Things ARE different this year, because it was registered in the US.

I believe the turnaround between trademark registration and release of DQ6 was what, 2 months?

KiTA

I wouldn't go that far, but the fact that we had to wait so long for it, and we still got the version without all the upgrades was truly ridiculous.

It was even more dumb when you discover that SE had finished the Joker 2 localization long before the eventual US release. After doing all that work, they decided to just abandon it and waste the money they paid to localize it. Nintendo swooping in pushed it back to the Joker2 Professional era, meaning we got the version with no one playing the multiplayer. =/

Jucksalbe

Banned
And Joker2, which apparently killed the franchise in the US.

Going by the prices you can find this for new, this must have bombed pretty hard. But I don't think they would project the sales of a spin-off games to a mainline game. The sales of VI might have been a bigger factor. But it certainly killed our chances for the 3DS DQM remakes.

Pikma

Banned
If DQ7 doesn't come this year, I'm going to be severely disappointed. Seeing the 3DS 2014 releases schedule, I'm sure Nintendo could use a few more localizations. Also, the audience is there, Lots of RPGs already paved it's way. And well, everything with a remote chance of coming has made it outside JP so far*, including Senran Kagura, Kokuga and PxZ.

*And no, EX Troopers never had a chance, not with the dumb way it's assets were created.

Famassu

Just give the west VII. It's like SE just doesn't like money.
Dragon Quest have generally sold so NOT-well that both Square Enix AND Nintendo are hesitant of bringing more DQ games outside Japan. Your argument doesn't hold much water. It's more like Square Enix LIKES money and unprofitable (or not profitable enough for big publishers like SQEX & Nintendo) ventures like Dragon Quest remake/port localizations are a no-go for any publisher looking for titles to localize

B.K.

Getting some juicy iOS ports I imagine

Probably this. The ESRB has already rated the iOS/Andriod versions of Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest II and we know the first eight games are being ported to iOS/Andriod, so it's probably just one of them.

KiTA

Dragon Quest have generally sold so NOT-well that both Square Enix AND Nintendo are hesitant of bringing more DQ games outside Japan. Your argument doesn't hold much water. It's more like Square Enix LIKES money and unprofitable (or not profitable enough for big publishers like SQEX & Nintendo) ventures like Dragon Quest remake/port localizations are a no-go for any publisher looking for titles to localize

This. I really think SE needs to look into a subsidiary in the US for their smaller titles. I get with the royal mess that SE US is, games that sell less than 3 million copies are a sales flop, but I'd like to at least see a small fragment of SE US survive the upcoming crash.

Probably this. The ESRB has already rated the iOS/Andriod versions of Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest II and we know the first eight games are being ported to iOS/Andriod, so it's probably just one of them.

Except the ESRB DQ 1+2 isn't by Square Enix...

I only want the remake of VII or the Monster games, I wouldn't buy anything else.

I've already convinced myself it won't happen, at this point I just hope BD was popular enough so we get Bravely Second.

If DQ7 doesn't come this year, I'm going to be severely disappointed. Seeing the 3DS 2014 releases schedule, I'm sure Nintendo could use a few more localizations. Also, the audience is there, Lots of RPGs already paved it's way. And well, everything with a remote chance of coming has made it outside JP so far*, including Senran Kagura, Kokuga and PxZ.

*And no, EX Troopers never had a chance, not with the dumb way it's assets were created.

I'm sure it is coming, but Nintendo keeps the release schedule close to their chest. They like announcing things quarter by quarter, hence the Directs. Personally, I think they should announce things a year at a time, because right now, the impression is that 2014 is a bit barren.

clem84

Gold Member
Haha, I wish I could share your optimism. It's gonna be the iOS ports.

It's not a done deal. Reggie's tweet from last year possibly points to some kind of DQ game coming to Nintendo consoles. There are reasons to be optimistic for a console version.

Stage On

I have a hard time swallowing that when 9 sold fairly well.

Top Bottom