• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Elder Scrolls Online Gameplay Video

jabuseika

I know it's cool that they got "real time" combat in an mmo.

But I'm just not interested in another elder scrolls where you run around in circles randomly swinging your melee weapons, with no skill and no strategy involved, just hit the mass of enemy anywhere and whittle them down bit by bit.

After playing so much Dark Souls, I just can't go back.

Hot damn, this is looking both beautiful and fun.

Don't need unnecessary numbers filling the screen, like they do with other MMOs. Breaks immersion.

I know it's cool that they got "real time" combat in an mmo.

But I'm just not interested in another elder scrolls where you run around in circles randomly swinging your melee weapons, with no skill and no strategy involved, just hit the mass of enemy anywhere and whittle them down bit by bit.

After playing so much Dark Souls, I just can't go back.

Requiem + Locational Damage.

Also lol at the fact that Skyrim + mods still has way better looking characters / armor.

Hulud

The best thing about this game is that they reused part of Morrowind's lockpicking audio. I played Morrowind so much that it was a nostalgia bomb the first time I heard it in ESO.

RoKKeR

Looks good, but not $15 a month good.

Knowing me though I'll probably buy it, play the shit out of it with friends over the summer and then dance.

ninjarr

Neo Member
I get the impression that the pacing of combat is very different from the pacing of the rest of the game. Is this true? Not saying that's good or bed, just want opinions.

Valhelm

contribute something
If not for the monthly fee, I would be all over this game. I also like how Redguards seem to have less stereotypically European features. It was weird how Skyrim's elves all looked very different from Nedic characters, but Redguards were just pallate-swapped Nords.

Yoday

6 months till F2P.
I agree that it will eventually go F2P, but you're delusional if you think it will go F2P that quickly. The game will sell well enough that box sales will keep them in the sub model for a little while. After playing the game some more this weekend I am fairly confident that it is going to be a pretty big hit early on, but it's subscriber numbers are going to fall pretty quickly. However, it will also be a good enough game that it will keep selling to the mainstream crowd on consoles for a decent while, even if they only play for the first month. The problem that the game is going to run into is that it is going to be primarily a questing focused MMO, and questing focused MMO's don't really retain an avid community large enough for a subscription in my experience. I expect the subscriber audience for the game is going to be comprised of super hardcore Elder Scrolls fans, and super casual MMO players that don't really group up much.

Syf

Banned
I'm interested after playing the latest beta. Have it pre-ordered. Whether or not it'll have enough content flowing to keep me paying $15/month remains to be seen.

LowParry

6 months till F2P.

Eh, I'd give it a year actually. If active subs are low, they may look to do it around the time EQN shows so who knows. They had such huge potential with this but sad to see it get tarnished. I may try it out eventually but I'm just not impressed with what I've seen.

Sobriquet

I'm interested after playing the latest beta. Have it pre-ordered. Whether or not it'll have enough content flowing to keep me paying $15/month remains to be seen.

Same. I pre-ordered it this morning after wanting to play it and realizing I couldn't anymore. :(

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Man. That "fighting" looks atrocious.

Stiff robotic animations.

The animations were definitely the worst part for me, however I was quite impressed with the environments I saw and I liked they way they are handling skills. My girlfriend loved the beta so I'll be playing it for at least the first 30 days. After that we'll see.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Meh, the world looks generic and it has the kind of combat system I loathe. At least FFXIV is pretty.

I thought so too in videos but when I was in game there were definitely many impressive areas. I didn't like the look of FFXIV very much.

UnrealEck

The thing I really don't like is the abilities in the game. In WoW your abilities for every class just seem to stand out. When you see yourself use them, when you hear yourself use them, when you see someone else us them, when you hear someone else use them. Accross every single class too. They pretty much all have a uniqueness to their mechanic too for each class that uses them and they have situational uses. In ESO it just doesn't seem like that at all. It seems you just hit buttons when they're not on cooldown.

Aces&Eights

The animations were definitely the worst part for me, however I was quite impressed with the environments I saw and I liked they way they are handling skills. My girlfriend loved the beta so I'll be playing it for at least the first 30 days. After that we'll see.

Problem is, after 30 days if it sucks you're out 60 for the game. Too risky for me. I am going to watch a crap-ton of videos before I spend 60 on this thing.

BLunted

Banned
Is there controller support in this game? It's coming out on XBONE and PS4 as well, right?

Don't know if the PC version has controller support. Coming to Xbone and PS4 in June. On PS4, PS+ not required to play, however, on Xbone, Live is required to play, which really sucks IMO.

Requiem + Locational Damage.

Also lol at the fact that Skyrim + mods still has way better looking characters / armor.

Doesn't really change the foundation of Skyrim's combat - swing and block. Requiem just turns you into a weakling that can only swing a sword a couple of time before getting tired and makes arrows inexplicably damaging. It's an apples and oranges discussion, anyway. There are plenty of things that Skyrim does that Dark Souls never even attempts, even without mods. I play both games for their respective strengths. I feel truly sorry for people who let Dark Souls spoil them to everything else.

Yaoibot

Character and armor designs are wretched across the board. Strangely, the enemy and environmental models aren't half bad. Then the lackluster effects come into play and we're back to being craptastic. Where has the money gone? Hookers and blow? Massages? Private jets? The voice acting cast? This whole game is shaping up to be a colossal fuck up. Not having cross-platform should kill whatever small, segregated communities form in a matter of months too.

Yaoibot

Don't know if the PC version has controller support. Coming to Xbone and PS4 in June. On PS4, PS+ not required to play, however, on Xbone, Live is required to play, which really sucks IMO.

PC does not have controller support, and there are no definite plans to add it. I'm too lazy to post the links, but a Google search will tell you the same. I'd be most likely to play this on PC if controller support was offered. As it stands its a 'wait till F2P' on whatever platform.

BLunted

Banned
PC does not have controller support, and there are no definite plans to add it. I'm too lazy to post the links, but a Google search will tell you the same. I'd be most likely to play this on PC if controller support was offered. As it stands its a 'wait till F2P' on whatever platform.

I don't get the "wait till F2P" people. I have tried a few F2P MMO's and they are all dogshit. Are there honestly any F2P MMO's that are any good?

Top Bottom