• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unlink your NN ID from you Wii U BEFORE you sell/get rid of it, obviously

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
I sold my launch Wii U to a family member a while back, but forgot to unlink my console from my Nintendo Network ID. I just recently got the Wind Waker bundle in preparation for DKC and MK8 and when I tried to retrieve my ID, it said it was already linked to another console. Called Nintendo, and they have to MANUALLY go in and unlink it which could take days due to them being backed up still from the Christmas holidays. Yeah yeah, I know, I should have done it before I sold it but I forgot. This post is just a reminder and friendly warning to those who are entertaining the idea.

Sucks though cause until I get the all-clear signal from them via phone call or email, I can't use eShop or redeem my Wind Waker code cause it will screw with the game's licensing between the two consoles...so im stuck looking at my download code slip for it and Hyrule Historia.

Also for those who don't know, you can only have one Wii U and 3DS linked to your account per console.

Lesson learned.

[QUOTE="D";101064458]Called Nintendo, and they have to MANUALLY go in and unlink it which could take days due to them being backed up still from the Christmas holidays.[/QUOTE]
What? How?

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
What? How?

They said from people calling about transfers, eShop purchases and whatnot.

Baffled me too lol

Oh I don't mean they have to take my console and do it physically, I mean that they have to go and work their magic between the two consoles to get it transferred

Nintendo makes things harder than they need to be.

For example, yesterday I wanted to transfer my stuff from my red 3DS to my purple one. The purple one had my kids NNID on it and I was forced to format the purple 3DS before I could perform the transfer. Then it had to connect to the internet to perform the format.

Just stupid shit like that shows how paranoid and incompetent Nintendo is in regard to digital content.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Did the they need any information about your old console? Because the European customers service told me once that they couldn't migrate my account to a new WiiU no matter what.

botty

Banned
So it can be unlinked (of course it can), but the person who paid money for the console can't do it.

N I N T E N D O ?

SmokyDave

This is a good place to ask.

Can anyone confirm with 100% certainty that if an NNID is properly unlinked from a Wii U, it can be used on another with no issues? By no issues, I mean literally fire up the console, enter my NNID and password and off I go.

I had a Wii U and created an NNID. I sold my Wii U after unlinking the ID. I know the ID is cool because I recently attached it to my 3DS. I'm now debating buying another Wii U to replay Zombi U, but I can't be arsed to fuck around with customer service. I just want to sign in and go. Anyone done that?

"D"

Did the they need any information about your old console? Because the European customers service told me once that they couldn't migrate my account to a new WiiU no matter what.

They just asked me for my Nintendo ID name and I think my email address and thats it. Oh yeah they asked me for the previous Wii U's serial number (which they already had) but I logged into my Club Nintendo account and gave it to them anyway just to confirm it was in fact MY console.

"D"

Can anyone confirm with 100% certainty that if an NNID is properly unlinked from a Wii U, it can be used on another with no issues? By no issues, I mean literally fire up the console, enter my NNID and password and off I go.

I had a Wii U and created an NNID. I sold my Wii U after unlinking the ID. I know the ID is cool because I recently attached it to my 3DS. I'm now debating buying another Wii U to replay Zombi U, but I can't be arsed to fuck around with customer service. I just want to sign in and go. Anyone done that?

Well the guy told me that's what I should have done, so i'm assuming yes, since you can only have one ID linked per console. Since you already unlinked it from the previous Wii U then in theory you should be fine. But after all we ARE talking about Nintendo, sooooo....yeah.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I'm wondering this as well.

Also, can you unlink one NNID from a console, leaving the others alone, or do they all unlink?

Madao

good luck finding someone willing to take that bullet with the NNID unlink business. the fear for losing purchases is quite high (i wouldn't even think about it. i have 4 digital games in my NNID)

"D"

good luck finding someone willing to take that bullet with the NNID unlink business. the fear for losing purchases is quite high (i wouldn't even think about it. i have 4 digital games in my NNID)

All I really had as far as digital purchases was Super Metroid on it back when they had that crazy sale, but I mainly want my account back cause I don't want to have to deal with making another one and have two accounts floating around unnecessarily.

[QUOTE="D";101066102]Their phone is off at the moment[/QUOTE]

oh, so once that phone goes back on all the drama could end with no input needed from nintendo, right?

that's the route i would be taking

they have email, or live close by?

rafbanaan

If you just format the console, isn't that enough? I'm going to sell mine too and I did this today.

Otherwise I will have to unpack him again to do this :p

Edit: I had to connect to the internet for it. Might unlinked it that way?

hwy_61

Banned
So, if you remove your account from one machine, and add it to a new one, can you redownload all of your eshop games?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
[QUOTE="D";101065427]They just asked me for my Nintendo ID name and I think my email address and thats it. Oh yeah they asked me for the previous Wii U's serial number (which they already had) but I logged into my Club Nintendo account and gave it to them anyway just to confirm it was in fact MY console.[/QUOTE]
Thanks man,
I'll see if I can get my old serial number via Club Nintendo and send them another email.
But even if you unlink your NNID, which I'm pretty sure did... Once you try to login on a new WiiU console it tells you that the ID was created on a another console and only can be used on the Origin console. This happened to me a couple months back and pissed me off - haven't touch a WiiU since then, Nintendo will have to step up their shitty account system before I can support it again.

"D"

oh, so once that phone goes back on all the drama could end with no input needed from nintendo, right?

that's the route i would be taking

they have email, or live close by?

Neither, also they aren't very "tech savvy" so trying to explain to them how to go and unlink it from my account will be a nightmare. I just went ahead and called Nintendo cause I wasn't sure when I'd get to talk to them again and I wasn't about to wait around

DonDraper

Banned
If you just format the console, isn't that enough? I'm going to sell mine too and I did this today.

I'd like to know this as well. Gonna sell mine and just did a format. That should unlink and remove any NNID, right?

"D"

Thanks man,
I'll see if I can get my old serial number via Club Nintendo and send them another email.
But even if you unlink your NNID, which I'm pretty sure did... Once you try to login on a new WiiU console it tells you that the ID was created on a another console and only can be used on the Origin console. This happened to me a couple months back and pissed me off - haven't touch a WiiU since then, Nintendo will have to step up their shitty account system before I can support it again.

No problem bro. Yeah its pretty ridiculous how ill prepared they are concerning online/account management. The way I feel right now, I feel like if they didn't have a solid understanding of how to go about handling online then don't fool with it at ALL. Don't come into a gun-fight with a Super Soaker, for crying out loud. People take online gaming seriously and when you factor in them giving you their personal information like credit cards and stuff then they damn well expect things to be working smoothly or easily accessible if a problem was to arise. Im just glad I didn't sell it to a nobody nor had invested heavily in digital purchases cause I'd be pretty damn paranoid if I felt like there was a chance I couldn't get my console unlinked.

"D"

I have yet to go through the process of unlinking it myself so honestly i'm not sure which method they are going to require you to use, but I can imagine it would have to be connected.

"D"

I'd like to know this as well. Gonna sell mine and just did a format. That should unlink and remove any NNID, right?

To be on the safe side I'd check to see about unlinking

rafbanaan

Uhu, I guess.

Well, it won't be a problem for me, since I won't buy another Wii U this generation :p And I didn't bought anything digital. Just hoping that the new user won't see an account link or something on the system when they buy it.

"D"

Has the unified account system already gone into effect?

I doubt it. Then need to get on the ball, this foolishness not only inconveniences the customer but themselves as well, having to go in and move stuff around to accommodate the new console, thus making more work for themselves. I want to go all digital on my 3DS but I ain't spending a DIME on eShop until they have a unified account system...i've seen too many sob stories here on GAF about some poor soul losing their 3DS or it being stolen, and having to jump through hoops just to get all the content back.

So, if you remove your account from one machine, and add it to a new one, can you redownload all of your eshop games?

I'm pretty sure you can't. The games are bound to the console not the NNID I think.

Actually, I was able to. Last year I bought a Wii U and the Game Pad ended up being defective. But before it started happening I had bought The Wonderful 101 on the eShop. So, once the problems started occurring I returned the system and since they didn't have anymore of the Mario & Luigi bundles in stock I had to wait a few days before I could get another. Eventually I did, and called Nintendo to get my ID back because I forgot to unlink it from the previous console. It took a few days but I was able to get the ID I originally made on my new system. But then I couldn't access the eShop and kept getting an error. So I call them back, explain the issue, and within a few days not only can I get back on the eShop but I had The Wonderful 101 sitting in my purchase history and I was able to download it without any issues. Surprised me because I was under the impression that the purchase would be lost but Nintendo did something on their end to fix it, which I'm very thankful for.

Nintendo has some of the best customer service I've ever experienced.

hwy_61

Banned
Actually, I was able to. Last year I bought a Wii U and the Game Pad ended up being defective. But before it started happening I had bought The Wonderful 101 on the eShop. So, once the problems started occurring I returned the system and since they didn't have anymore of the Mario & Luigi bundles in stock I had to wait a few days before I could get another. Eventually I did, and called Nintendo to get my ID back because I forgot to unlink it from the previous console. It took a few days but I was able to get the ID I originally made on my new system. But then I couldn't access the eShop and kept getting an error. So I call them back, explain the issue, and within a few days not only can I get back on the eShop but I had The Wonderful 101 sitting in my purchase history and I was able to download it without any issues. Surprised me because I was under the impression that the purchase would be lost but Nintendo did something on their end to fix it, which I'm very thankful for.

Nintendo has some of the best customer service I've ever experienced.

Ok. So customer service is able to transfer all of your purchases, but it takes a few days. Sounds like YMMV on it though. You had a situation where there was a hardware failure. I wonder if they would still do it if you sold your system and bought another down the line.

Ok. So customer service is able to transfer all of your purchases, but it takes a few days. Sounds like YMMV on it though. You had a situation where there was a hardware failure. I wonder if they would still do it if you sold your system and bought another down the line.

Yeah, it might be a YMMV situation. You could always just tell them your system malfunctioned and you exchanged it at a store for a new one rather than tell them you sold the old one and bought another. I mean, if you're comfortable with lying about it. They never asked me any in depth questions about the situation.

I'm pretty sure you can't. The games are bound to the console not the NNID I think.
False.

Not sure if you can unlink an ID and sign it into another system without customer assistance though. Games were always locked to the NNID; it is the ease of moving the NNID that is the real issue.

rpmurphy

Purchases are tied to the NNID, as far as we know: if you delete your NNID, you shouldn't be able to retrieve the games bought on that NNID from another NNID login that's tied to the same console. The question here is whether the NNID is tied to the originating console, which seemed to be the case back when the console launched.

False.

Not sure if you can unlink an ID and sign it into another system without customer assistance though. Games were always locked to the NNID; it is the ease of moving the NNID that is the real issue.

I bought a used WiiU with more than 20 eshop titles... so i better not remove the last owners user/Mii or nnid? I feel a little at unease now, what if the seller talks to Nintendo and unlinks his old ID?

Shiggy

I bought a used WiiU with more than 20 eshop titles... so i better not remove the last owners user/Mii or nnid? I feel a little at unease now, what if the seller talks to Nintendo and unlinks his old ID?

They are not allowed to remove the games if you purchased the console with the games. Just shows again how shitty Nintendo's system (yes, the Wii U too but in this case I mean their online account system) is.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The evidence so far is that the Nintendo Network account system does in fact work pretty much like anybody else's, including purchases tied to the account. The problem is Nintendo won't give the end user a magic button on the console interface to de-authorize old systems and authorize new systems themselves. That administrative authority is locked inside Nintendo and a rep has to do it for you.

It's stupid, but I've always wondered if it is partly due to Nintendo's fear of children having their account login stolen / socially engineered. Resulting in little Johnny wondering why all his games are gone or won't start on his console.

terrisus

That would seem pretty obvious, yes.

Also format a computer's hard drive (or remove it entirely) before selling it.

Shiggy

That would seem pretty obvious, yes.

Also format a computer's hard drive (or remove it entirely) before selling it.

Do I also need to keep my old and new PCs connected to the manufacturer's servers to copy the files from the old to the new one?

"D"

This is one of many reasons never to buy anything digital on a Nintendo console unless you have no other option.

Yeah its what's holding me back from going all digital on my 3DS. No unified account system, no dice.

They are not allowed to remove the games if you purchased the console with the games. Just shows again how shitty Nintendo's system (yes, the Wii U too but in this case I mean their online account system) is.

Good to hear, because the only reason i bought this console are the games that went with it and it did cost a little more than a new Wii U without games. So i won´t delete the nnid, just for the case i have to download the games again. I think nintendo won´t bother to transfer the games to my new nnid...but i could give it a try.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
As someone in the early stage of deliberation re: selling the console- if I want to sell it and allow the buyer to access the games I purchased, I simply unlink my NNID and the buyer should still be able to access the games since they are tied to the hardware?

terrisus

Do I also need to keep my old and new PCs connected to the manufacturer's servers to copy the files from the old to the new one?

That doesn't change the fact that it's the safe and sensible thing to do to remove your personal information from something before giving it to someone else.

kick51

Banned
goddamnit, it's already boxed up to sell.

fucking nintendo, i swear. gives you the option to clear everything, says nothing about this
*insert pic with a clearly marked warning about this that I missed before clearing a console*

Shiggy

That doesn't change the fact that it's the safe and sensible thing to do to remove your personal information from something before giving it to someone else.

That just doesn't really help in this case. First, the current system seems to only work in the US with the NoA customer service (sasuke said it doesn't work that way in Europe), second even the current system invites people to do some fraud.

When I sell my HDD I'm not dependent on some third party when it comes to recovering the games - I can just log into my account and download them again. So your comparison is pretty flawed and not too helpful in this particular case.

If you remove the NNID the games are attached to, my understanding is that you will indeed lose those games because the NNID is what the purchases are actually tied to. Not sure how Nintendo would handle the old owner making a claim to get them back.

As someone in the early stage of deliberation re: selling the console- if I want to sell it and allow the buyer to access the games I purchased, I simply unlink my NNID and the buyer should still be able to access the games since they are tied to the hardware?
This isn't a long thread. It has already been stated several times that games are not tied to the hardware.

M3d10n

No, the games are tied to both the NNID which made the purchase *and* the hardware. The buyer won't access your games unless they know your NNID login and password.

Top Bottom