• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft level 90 boost has been set at 60$

Nugg

i8WyAttWZiVWA.jpg

Source: MMO-Champ

I hate this. This is cool for free to play games, but has absolutely no place on top of a monthly fee. I'm glad it's at least a little bit expensive.

Edit: I was under the impression that "pay to win" was the accepted term in the industry referring to any paid transaction allowing you to skip content, even insignificant content (ie. not cosmetic upgrades). You can keep the bitching to yourself and give your impressions on the actual topic. Feel free to keep insisting how awesome you are by grinding your way to level 90 in 2 days or whatever, though.

Khezu

That's about what I figured it would cost.

Considering how much stuff like server transfers and race changes cost, no way was it going to be as cheap as some people thought.

Right now it seems like it's more for high end raiding guilds, then normal players.

Its expensive because they know people will pay for it, and have paid for it in the past.

Blizzard sure does love imitating the third party marketplace. Did the same with Diablo.

Berordn

Just to be fair, that was grabbed during server maintenance, and hasn't been announced to be available for purchase yet.

So it's still unconfirmed and may not be final, even if it seems really likely.

Boogdud

Love it, now give me epics.

Seriously getting to 90 is nothing today. Why do people care about this? If folks want to spend money on a new character rather than grind out for a couple weeks of meaningless old content, who cares?

Having a 90 doesn't "win" you anything. It's pretty much the equivalent of putting quarter in an old arcade cabinet.. Welcome to the start of the game.

Giolon

In a game where getting to max level holds no challenge, only a significant time investment, I have no problem with this. Being Level 90 confers upon you no advantages over other players. In fact you'll likely be worse, since you won't have the proper gear (does this boost give out starter 90 gear or something?)

Not that I plan on coming back to WoW any time soon, it having this available makes it more likely I would since I can skip panda-land.

$60 seems a bit high though. I'd expected $30-40.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Pay to win? More like 'Pay if you want to skip the stuff you already did on 4 alts." I have no problem with this. Hell, I'm surprised they did charge for it.

cormack12

Gold Member
I remember the days of those Chinese/Korean sites offering power level to 60 for like £150, how cheap things become.....

Chindogg

Meh pay a stupid amount of money for roughly two weeks worth of work.

Not a big deal.

Edit: Oh only to 90? Hell that's four days work if that.

riceandpea

Neo Member
At this point I don't see the problem; everyone who was going to play the game 'properly' (and who am I to tell someone how they should play the game) will already have a level 90, and it's not like the sheer act of buying an insta-90 would actually be a detriment to anyone else.

Still gotta grind the gear to compete in PvP and work through the instances to get the PvE items too. So it's not really going to affect other players.

As something of an alt-oholic, I may actually make use of this once or twice (not too often, it is expensive) because I've always wanted a Shadowpriest and Druid but I've done the 1-90 so often now (almost four times in total, plus countless new alts) that I kinda don't want the grind anymore.

doesn't seem that bad. I know leveling in wow is a joke but $60 for the hours it takes to level a new toon to 90 seems fairly reasonable if you are a busy guy but want to try another toon at end game stuff without having to do the same quests agin.

Draft

Implying that attaining level 90 is somehow a competitive boon?

Most of WoW takes place at the level cap. Many players have been in the game for years and when they roll up an alt it's not to do the sub 90 content again, it's to get a healer/tank/different type of DPS to play around with at the level cap. Now they can skip grinding for a few days with $60. BFD.

edit: That being said, I do believe this is a slippery slope and soon (TM) lower tier epics will be available for purchase.

UnrealEck

So the people that buy WoD that are returning to the game from last leaving off at a pre-Pandaria expansion will log in, get their free 90 boost, use it and think "I've won at WoW?"

I wonder if they'll remove the level 10-90 achievements since you're not really achieving them now.

SoupyFlow

Banned
Horrible, just horrible.

Every time I think about going back to WoW again stupid crap like this comes up. Part of an MMO is the whole process of leveling your character and being proud of what you have accomplished. This ruins all of that.

Yaoibot

Kudos on the biggest microtransaction grab in the PC space (let's not even go mobile with their $10K worth of diamonds, kitty bobo tokens or whatever the fuck they're hooking people with now). Oh wait, Alloids might have had one worse, but no one should ever come close to the greed of the gPotato. And yet you did, Blizz. So proud of you. I'd cry, but then I'd have to ask you for a tissue that you'd charge me $60 for.

rrs

That's a lot of money, but considering level boosts can and will sell Blizzard is milking the fanbase dry just in time for a new mmo.

Good thing the price is high, if such a service was inevitable (because you always could just make a new 90 by buying warlords and transferring that 90 to your main account) I prefer it to be high price as gating mechanism (same reason transfer cost are high; so that people don't just transfer on every whim).

Chindogg

Horrible, just horrible.

Every time I think about going back to WoW again stupid crap like this comes up. Part of an MMO is the whole process of leveling your character and being proud of what you have accomplished. This ruins all of that.

Not when you have three characters already at max level. Sometimes its ok to not have to redo it all over again.

Berordn

Horrible, just horrible.

You still have ten levels to go when the expansion hits (which is always the most significant portion to level), not to mention the whole process of gearing your character after you buy the boost if you're using it for MoP content.

It's not like you'll be any good, you'll just have passed most of the irrelevant content.

Yaoibot

doesn't seem that bad. I know leveling in wow is a joke but $60 for the hours it takes to level a new toon to 90 seems fairly reasonable if you are a busy guy but want to try another toon at end game stuff without having to do the same quests agin.

Stockholm syndrome.

Majine

Banned
Hey, what people choose to do with their money and gametime is up to them. As long as I can get a party for instances...

riceandpea

Neo Member

But I don't think this is targeting new players, but those who want to create an alt as a different class. Expensive, but a fair price imo..

RealMeat

Banned
My main concern with stuff like this is it encourages the devs to make leveling to 90 less enjoyable to prompt people to but their way there. At the very least it could cause them to focus less on revamping old content.

Qwell

Love it, now give me epics.

Seriously getting to 90 is nothing today. Why do people care about this? If folks want to spend money on a new character rather than grind out for a couple weeks of meaningless old content, who cares?
QFT, as long as they don't drastically alter the way that leveling is done I see no problem in this. I'll admit I'm one of those people that have bought WoW accounts and WoW gold. Almost all of my friends bought WoW gold because we just weren't good at gaming the economy like a lot of others. We didn't have the patience to corner the market of an item on the AH or anything else and sometimes we were just playing catch up after a break from the game.

I haven't played WoW in quite a while, but back when I did I wouldn't have minded paying money, even $60 to get a high level character because I always wanted to be able to fill a role for my friends or guild. I was the kind of player to read up on how to play this class or that, what kind of rotation to use etc. And I liked playing all the different classes, more than anything I just wanted to play with friends or guildmates and being able to fill that Tank roll quickly without having to level up a character over a few weeks / months would have been great.

Kudos on the biggest microtransaction grab in the PC space (let's not even go mobile with their $10K worth of diamonds, kitty bobo tokens or whatever the fuck they're hooking people with now). Oh wait, Alloids might have had one worse, but no one should ever come close to the greed of the gPotato. And yet you did, Blizz. So proud of you. I'd cry, but then I'd have to ask you for a tissue that you'd charge me $60 for.

Curious, would you have been happier if they just didn't offer the option at all? It's there for people who really want it and find it's worth 60$.

border

I don't have a problem with this and think calling it "Pay To Win" is stupid.

But it is a little troublesome to think about how far they might take this. How long before they are selling gold, selling rare crafting recipes, selling upgrades to profession levels, etc?

mr stroke

So this means if I have never played WOW I would have to pay-

$20 for base game+$20 x3 expansions+the $60 to boost to level 90 to catch up to everyone else?(plus the $12 per month fee) :eek:

Yaoibot

Implying that attaining level 90 is somehow a competitive boon?

Most of WoW takes place at the level cap. Many players have been in the game for years and when they roll up an alt it's not to do the sub 90 content again, it's to get a healer/tank/different type of DPS to play around with at the level cap. Now they can skip grinding for a few days with $60. BFD.

edit: That being said, I do believe this is a slippery slope and soon (TM) lower tier epics will be available for purchase.

Are we sure this isn't just for the current content? Wouldn't they up the cap to 95 with WoD? In either case the price is absurd.

scoobs

its absolutely not pay-to-win. The game doesn't even start until your max level. Price has to be high so theres still a reason to do the old content and level characters. If it were any cheaper nobody would ever level a character again. Think about it.

Copenap

Who is this targeted at? I always assumed it's to gain new players who are put off by the grinding in order to get to the late game content, especially if they are getting in with a new add-on and hence it should be free put apparently not. Really wonder what kind of people throw their money out of the window like that.

Top Bottom