• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mikami may direct Tango's next game, talks about his changing views & studio history

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'll present this in timeline snippets, but I really suggest the full article which has way more in it.

Summary:
-Mikami starts off the article (historically?) noting that he felt directors should be in their 30's as 40 year olds and older are out of touch and 20 year olds are too young.
-When Mikami started at Capcom he was paid so little and worked so hard he couldn't get married or even go home most of the time.
-When he became a producer at Capcom he focused on setting up a director driven approach to game making with less collaboration.
-He left Capcom when they started operating more like a big Western publisher such as EA where ideas had to get through concept approval and market research.
-People kept asking him to make horror action games and he felt this was silly because why would he leave Capcom if he was just going to make the same type of thing when he left.
-After directing Vanquish and working on Shadows of the Damned, the latter of which he wasn't thrilled with turning into an action game, he decided to start a new studio focused on fostering talent and working on games as a collaborative instead of director only approach, while also fostering new, younger directors. Think of it like a hybrid of his old ideals and modern approaches.
-Tango's first six months were about making a joke game about a cockroach who used a gun.
-They then made an open world sci-fi game called Noah, but that got canceled when "something happened" and they ran into huge financial issues (I assume their publisher backed out).
-ZeniMax came along and saved the studio with a buyout.
-Mikami feels ZeniMax is more like a Japanese publisher (presumably historically speaking given his other comments) in that they will publish riskier ideas.
-The Evil Within was originally called Zwei because it focused on two players either in co-op or singleplayer who were attached by a chain, and AI would control the other when in singleplayer with them following behind.
-Later it became a big AAA singleplayer only project because ZeniMax wanted them to do one project and make it an action horror game instead rather than multiple smaller projects.
-ZeniMax also wanted Mikami to keep directing games so he pretty much implies he will keep doing that.
-Mikami names three staff members he would potentially like to see direct games at some point.
-All three staff members seem confused about why he wants them to direct games when asked about why he picked them.
-Mikami tries to micromanage less so it will be possible to prepare people for directing games in the future and everyone taking more notable roles, though he'd presumably still be directing one of their multiple games. He still works on setting up a structure so the vision of the game isn't lost however.
-Mikami is aware of the irony here that he's 48 and still their primary director and will likely direct a lot of additional games.
-Mikami's goals for the studio's next ten years is to make sure it continues to be a fun place to work and fosters younger talent.
-Hiroki Kato, lead designer of Vanquish and God Hand, has retired and become a farmer. I made a separate thread about that one.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/2/20/5425802/shinji-mikami-the-evil-within

Nemesis_

-Tango's first six months were about making a game about a cockroach who used a gun.

This makes sense given the concept art that Dusk managed to dig up - the team was doing a lot of research not only into guns but into insects. This makes me think it was for this project rather than for enemy or creature design for Evil Within.

-The Evil Within was originally called Zwei because it focused on two players either in co-op or singleplayer who were attached by a chain, and AI would control the other when in singleplayer with them following behind.

I assume this has been removed and/or reworked into the main game. We haven't heard ANYTHING about multiplayer yet, have we? Could be a scary kind of situation but could also get annoying really quickly.

rvy

Banned
Oh please master, yes. Make it so.

-Hiroki Kato, lead designer of Vanquish and God Hand, has retired and become a farmer. I made a separate thread about that one.

Dean-Winchester-Crying-Head-Shake-On-Supernatural.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This makes sense given the concept art that Dusk managed to dig up - the team was doing a lot of research not only into guns but into insects. This makes me think it was for this project rather than for enemy or creature design for Evil Within.

I assume this has been removed and/or reworked into the main game. We haven't heard ANYTHING about multiplayer yet, have we? Could be a scary kind of situation but could also get annoying really quickly.

The Evil Within is singleplayer only. That was a design change mid project and why we saw network programmer job postings early on.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Evil Within is easily one of my most anticipated games of this year, Mikami is one of the best developers in the industry.

But will we ever get a sequel to the best TPS of last gen?

Anteater

-They then made an open world sci-fi game called Noah, but that got canceled when "something happened" and they ran into huge financial issues (I assume their publisher backed out).

:0 Zenimax you know what to do

Chindogg

Wait.

He didn't want to make another Horror Action game...then Zenimax told him to make a Horror Action game...so he did it?

Am I misreading this at all?

EL CUCO

I've been for almost 2 months, about 2 hrs a day trying to beat challenge 6 in Vanquish. It is brutally difficult.

I hate you Mikami.
I'll love you when I beat it though :)

Hope Tango is successful. Love how he promotes from with in (No pun intended) Sounds like an awesome guy to work for.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
-ZeniMax also wanted Mikami to keep directing games so he pretty much implies he will keep doing that.

The Mikami cycle will keep going then I guess.

CCNuWUe.jpg

Tango's first six months were about making a joke game about a cockroach who used a gun.

rebrand it as Fallout and release it. do it.

-Mikami starts off the article (historically?) noting that he felt directors should be in their 30's as 40 year olds and older are out of touch and 20 year olds are too young.

I'm not sure about this. many great games we got are from older directors. then again some old people like Kojima are indeed out of touch.

-Mikami's goals for the studio's next ten years is to make sure it continues to be a fun place to work and fosters younger talent.

That will depend on Zenimax. hope they don't turn the studio to wasteland like id software.

zenimax is the publsher, afterall.

Not only their publisher they are their owner.

Neff

I really hope TEW pays off for Tango. If not, I hope Zenimax looks at their investment as a longterm one. If they don't, I hope Nintendo is waiting with a briefcase of cash.

This industry needs Mikami, and others like him.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I've been for almost 2 months, about 2 hrs a day trying to beat challenge 6 in Vanquish. It is brutally difficult.

I hate you Mikami.
I'll love you when I beat it though :)

I beat Challenge 6 about a week or two back and it is honestly one of the greatest feelings as far as video game accomplishments go. Remember to abuse the slide/roll mechanic, don't let any enemy get near you (unless you want them to such as the Viper on round 1 or to blow up a fuel tank at the beginning of round 3), and pop an EMP grenade if your shields get drained and you feel vulnerable. Don't get greedy, and be patient.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I really hope TEW pays off for Tango. If not, I hope Zenimax looks at their investment as a longterm one. If they don't, I hope Nintendo is waiting with a briefcase of cash.

This industry needs Mikami, and others like him.

it's not a publishing deal, Zenimax own the studio.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice

CCNuWUe.jpg

I don't understand this picture. Dino Crisis is awesome, up there with RE1. PN03 is flawed but also great fun, and God Hand is amazing. None of those three comes even close to being "bad".

Grief.exe

When it's debugging time and Zenimax decides to release the game anyway.

I guess it won't be as bad as the situations with iD, Human Head, or Arkane. Where its debugging time and Zenimax/Bethesda halt all funds until the bugs are fixed, forcing them to sell ownership of the company to cover costs.

EL CUCO

I beat Challenge 6 about a week or two back and it is honestly one of the greatest feelings as far as video game accomplishments go. Remember to abuse the slide/roll mechanic, don't let any enemy get near you (unless you want them to such as the Viper on round 1 or to blow up a fuel tank at the beginning of round 3), and pop an EMP grenade if your shields get drained and you feel vulnerable. Don't get greedy, and be patient.

Oh man.. I've just recently been able to master rounds 1-4. The other day I was down to the last Bogey at about 15% life left of him and I did exactly what you said not to do...got greedy and played it offensive. Got sniped out of nowhere. My hands were literally shaking and my heart was racing. I wanted to cry when I died Lol.

I can only imagine how good it must feel to finally beat it!

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
That's what I'm saying. If the worst should happen and TEW flops, I'm hoping that they don't sell Tango off and stick it out instead.

The Evil Within don't seems like a huge budget game to be honest( on in-house engine, Tango is not that huge). I think they are safe even if it bomb since Zenimax kept id software alive after Rage (which was a big game).

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
WHAT DO YOU MEAN A FARMER

Like...an MMO-gold farmer? Well, I'm sure there's more money in that than designing games anyway

I'll buy your gold baby :(

CCNuWUe.jpg
YOU are the reason for all of this

What a fantastic article!

I love Mikami, he seems to be a great guy to work with. He gets the whole industry, not just the Japanese side, he understands all of it.

Seems he is a bit stuck too, kind of like Kojima. They seem to be fated to just keep making the games they are known for.

One thing that struck me were the comments of the three employees he said would make excellent directors:
Nishikawa, who previously directed black and white action game MadWorld at Platinum Games, takes the praise modestly. "I know that I don't have any special genius creativity," he says, "but maybe Mikami thinks I do? I mean, why is he always nominating me? When I look back at my past accomplishments, I don't see it."

And

Nakamura, the first woman whom Mikami has chosen as a potential director, takes her own modest approach. "Mr. Mikami seems to think I am a strange animal," she says. "Maybe that's why he's taken interest in me? The other two above me, Mr. Katakai and Mr. Nishikawa, have their own distinct personalities. I wouldn't say I'm in the same league."

Come on, have some confidence people! Is this happening all across Japan? It sounds like Kojima can't find anyone to succeed him.

Top Bottom