• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone Miss the Old 1st Generation Pokemon Art Style?

I haven't played a pokemon game in over twelve years and upon picking up X on 3DS, to relieve some of that Nintendo nostalgia, I realized just how much the art style has changed since Pokemon fell off my radar.

I have a lot of memories with the first two Pokemon games on the Game Boy, particularly Blue, and what I remember most is the art style of the original box and manual along with the Pokemon cards. In the newer games gone are the sharp contours of the pokemon and trainers, the watercolor highlighting and the hyper-real vibrancy. I know the original cartoon had a different art style than the first games, but even that was better than the sepia color motif of the 3DS games.

Anyone else miss this?

8-machamp-trainer-deck-a-brock.jpg

Pok%C3%A9mon_Green_Artwork.png

Pok%C3%A9mon_Red_Artwork.png

Pok%C3%A9mon_Blue_Artwork.png

WuzcL.jpg

As opposed to this?

pokemon-x-y-trainers.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I really, strongly agree. Sugimori's art peaked for Gold/Silver, now we just have some weird animu stuff that totally betrays the unique artistic legacy of the series.

kubus

New characters suffering from Sonic Leg Syndrome :(.

Yeah the old style is awesome. Loved going through the "Trainer's Manual" (Red/Blue manual) back in the day, just to look at the awesome artwork.

FSLink

Banned
I miss it not in the sense that the art sucks now, but I'm really curious to see what the newer Pokémon would look like.

Pretty much. I do wonder if some of the hate against the new designs is partly due to the new art style. Looking at the old Pokemon with the new art and the new Pokemon side by side they look like they fit in the same universe just fine to me imo.

BWNar1G.jpg

Just imagine, haha.

Kade

It was crude and imperfect in a way that made it charming and awesome at the same time. It was raw. Shit's too clean and web 2.0 for me now.

Lijik

I think the way the art is drawn has improved over time, but i really miss the watercolor look. Pairing the modern lineart with the watercolor rendering would be ideal imo

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yes. A thousand times, yes. I flip through the RB trainer's manual, and the water colour art is charming. Pokémon has changed, and it's left me behind. Buying and reading through the RBY manga reminded me of that.

Foshy

Pokemon Yellow had fucking amazing sprites, even with the limited color palette. I like the style more than all the generations after it. Shame they didn't upgrade the back sprites from R/B too.

Toxi

Banned
I miss the old Sugimori watercolor roughness in promotional artwork.

The actual games look better than ever. We've gone from this...
Spr_1b_006.png

To this.
charizard.gif

Copenap

For me it's not necessarily the art direction as I think it is nice to have new interpretations each generation in this regard but the general Pokemon design has been a complete desaster. A Pokemon that is a key chain? Seriously?

the watercolor was great, it looks too clean and like everything else now.

For me it's not necessarily the art direction as I think it is nice to have new interpretations each generation in this regard but the general Pokemon design has been a complete desaster. A Pokemon that is a key chain? Seriously?

here we go!

linko9

oops... wrong thread

I will say I don't think the problem with a lot of the new designs would be fixed by the old artstyle. I think gen 1 had a combination of that great style, and overall solid designs.

khaaan

I don't mind the newer art direction, but I agree that the Sugimori stuff is awesome. I'm sure I'm in the minority but I also like the way the sprites looked in R/B.

The great thing about the older artstyle is that it made the Pokémon look like they were watercolour paintings that you would find in an old journal. If the Pokédex was more like a big old dusty book, the art in that style would fit right in!

Toxi

Banned
Pokemon have always had weird inspirations. It's part of what makes them so likeable; there's a Pokemon for every imaginable thing, even a cluster of eggs or a key chain.
250px-102Exeggcute.png

Someone drew and painted the starters' Mega Evolutions in the classic Sugimori style:
Did it with some other Pokemon too.
volcarona___old_s__style_by_tomycase-d6mrmpt.png

metagross___old_s__style___youtube_link_by_tomycase-d6mtkdi.png

Link to the sauce

Klefki is based off the myth of fairies stealing keys and other bits and bobs. It's not that out there compared to the older Pokemon.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Those fan-arts are pretty good, but I think they exaggerate a bit too much - the originals aren't quite that washed out/colourless.

David___

Banned

You say it like pokemon that are literally magnets and pokeballs are any better.

Old school Sugimori art is best Sugimori art.

Almost Toriyama-esque.

Bravo, sir, you hit the nail on the head. Incidentally DBZ was one of my favorite cartoons growing up, and I generally disliked the other animes. Something about this style just speaks to my sensibilities.

Serena's design is fine. The other guy's design is the one I dislike.

But yeah, as many have already said, I think we like the old style better because of the distinctive watercolor-like art.

lewisgone

So so much! It used to be so distinctive. I love Sugimori's art style. Nowadays it looks like it could have been drawn by anyone, there's no character to the art anymore.

tumblr_n0fw4rOTfG1rms5n7o1_500.png

Check out that Ditto! Nowadays it's just a standard pink blob. But back then, oh man. I treasure my Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon Crystal instruction manuals because of artwork like this. The designs of most Pokemon are still usually good (wasn't a fan of most B/W Pokemon though) but I feel like the artsyle makes them a lot less lovable in their promotional art.

tumblr_mw81u8IKPt1rv97cno1_500.png
tumblr_m8xcsavOXM1rv97cno1_400.png

So good.

Urgh, is that a sensible topic? Just recently finished Y after not playing Pokemon for quite some time.

Do you mean sensitive? Then yes, you pointed out one Pokemon as evidence that newer Pokemon suck, either ignoring that there are plenty of gen 1/2 Pokemon that are awful or just forgetting it. Every gen has it's hits and misses, but then we eventually get to the "yeah but the gen 1/2 Pokemon had a certain charm that's missing in the new ones" argument. Every damn thread it's the same story.

Josh7289

I agree. The old watercolor art had a unique style. Like others have said, the modern digital flat color artwork looks more generic.

Top Bottom