• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bink 2 runs faster on PS4 GPU than XB1 GPU, but same on either CPU

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Non news I guess, but still.

EDIT:

The article was updated:

Since it's so fast, Bink 2 can play 4K video (3840x2160) on PCs, Sony PS4 and Xbox One - using 4 cores, it can decode a 4K frame in 4 ms on PC, and 11 ms on PS4 or Xbox! Using compute shaders on the GPU, it can do 4K frames in 1.3 ms on PC, and 2.3 ms on PS4! Crazy fast!

Well... :|

While you may not explicitly know about it, catching a glimpse of its logo before the beginning of each video game, Bink Video is a very well-known video format. It’s been used for nearly decades now to present cutscenes and full motion video in games ranging from the original Xbox to the PlayStation 3. Bink Video has gotten even better with the reveal of Bink 2 but developer RAD Game Tools pointed out something interesting about the same.

First, it proclaims the speed of Bink 2 thanks to “multi-core scaling and SIMD design (up to 70% of the instructions executed on a frame are SIMD). It is really fast – it can play 4K video frames (3840×2160) in 4 ms on PCs and 11 ms on Sony PS4 or Xbox One using the CPU only (or 1.4 ms and 2.3 ms using GPU acceleration)!”

The last part is especially interesting, because it indicates the PlayStation 4 is faster than the Xbox One’s GPU for this particular instance. Sure it’s only slightly faster but it still counts. The similarity in both systems’ CPU speeds is understandable since they both rely on AMD CPUs with 8 cores. But this is perhaps the first solid instance of the PS4′s GPU being superior.
http://gamingbolt.com/new-benchmark...ay-4k-video-frames-faster#kSAkS4uTlzgIlK6X.99

jayu26

a012b0f2e8e23f30ee3ecbec409b821576192a430f7ab99c22f24a77f5b4003f.jpg

I mean in terms of tech, not in terms on sells. Jury is still out on that....at least until March.

Piggus

But this is perhaps the first solid instance of the PS4′s GPU being superior.

Yes, all those multiplatform games with a 100% difference in framerate or resolution didn't indicate that at all. Nope!

Well the PS4 GPU is significantly more powerful spec wise although I wonder if this is indicative of the special tweaks they made to the GPU to better allow for GPGPU compute

The last part is especially interesting, because it indicates the PlayStation 4 is faster than the Xbox One’s GPU for this particular instance. Sure it’s only slightly faster but it still counts. The similarity in both systems’ CPU speeds is understandable since they both rely on AMD CPUs with 8 cores. But this is perhaps the first solid instance of the PS4′s GPU being superior.

lol first instance

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Zeppeli

Banned
Wonder if the PS4 GPU can keep up with the 750ti.

Probably not, considering BF4 runs better on the 750ti...

Nvidia really should have tried to lend MS and Sony their Maxwell tech for the consoles. Low power consumption while being high powered? Sounds perfect for the console hardware ecosystem.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Does the CPU clock speed affect this at all? If yes, then it would indicate that both run with a fairly similar clock.

both cpu only benchmark report exactly the sms speed. Could mean more cores available on ps4 at lower clock, or same clock on both with same number of cores. Nobody really knows at this point.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
The article was updated:

Since it's so fast, Bink 2 can play 4K video (3840x2160) on PCs, Sony PS4 and Xbox One - using 4 cores, it can decode a 4K frame in 4 ms on PC, and 11 ms on PS4 or Xbox! Using compute shaders on the GPU, it can do 4K frames in 1.3 ms on PC, and 2.3 ms on PS4! Crazy fast!

Well... :|

The Cowboy

I wonder if this means we'll get games on the PS4 running at higher frame rates or higher resolutions or even both?.

Because seeing several multiplats running with higher resolutions and/or better framerates didn't prove it...

EDIT: GOD DAMN YOU AND YOUR QUICK FINGERS COWBOY

jond76

Banned
I think I'll wait wait for what misterxmedia has to say...

but really, there is no argument there. Its common knowledge that the PS4 has better gpu silicon.

The ongoing argument is whether the output of the two machines are drastically different. Some say yes, some say no. The people that say yes berate the people that say no.

Radec

I wonder if this means we'll get games on the PS4 running at higher frame rates or higher resolutions or even both?.

We should. Can't wait for them to show. But I do wonder though, MS created direct x, they won't let sony get more than 30% advantage on this.

Ape

Banned
Sorry guys, this is just the GPU. Don't get too excited. We all know that a console is the sum of it's parts and a Corvette with 9 million horsepower can lose in a race to a Porsche with a paltry 500. You have to look at the tires, the fuel, the transmission and most importantly the driver. This is very well a victory for the PS4, albeit a small one.

ascii42

both cpu only benchmark report exactly the sms speed. Could mean more cores available on ps4 at lower clock, or same clock on both with same number of cores. Nobody really knows at this point.

Benchmark seems to use 4 cores on all systems. So it would appear they have have the same clock speed.

Since it's so fast, Bink 2 can play 4K video (3840x2160) on PCs, Sony PS4 and Xbox One - using 4 cores, it can decode a 4K frame in 4 ms on PC, and 11 ms on PS4 or Xbox!

Top Bottom