• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Dino Crisis and Dino Crisis 2 (Watch Out For Big Ass Lizards)

Jawmuncher

*This is my last Dino Crisis Thread until the 15th Anniversary I swear*

Just got done playing both 1 and 2 these past 4 days. Took me about 8 hours to complete both of them. It's been awhile since the last time I played both of these, but they were just as fun as the first time I played them.

Dino Crisis 1 was just as scary as I remembered. You're always on your toes while playing that game. Due to the extremely limited ammo for most of the game and even having to rely on tranquilizers to get past dinos. The Dinosaurs being able to chase you through doors is absolutely terrifying.I had completely forgot about that aspect and was pretty scared when I had a jump in music and a raptor right on my heels as I was low on health.The entire game is actually in 3D, no prerendered backgrounds in sight which is quite nice. Since that really adds to the games atmosphere since it made the entire research facility feel far more real. The inclusion of Aggressive or Passive actions really helps give the game a lot more room for the player. More than once I was unsure if I wanted to go with Gail (Aggressive) or Rick (passive) since each always had it's pros and cons. Now if there's one bad thing I have to say about the game it's the music there's not a lot of noteworthy tracks.However the good tracks are REALLY good. Most of the time the game is eerily quiet however which works far better in making things tense.

Dino Crisis 2
While I really do enjoy a scary research facility full of dinos. I have to say that running through a jungle killing dinos in droves is very satisfying. DC2 feels like a platinum/clover type game had they been around on the PSX (Not by mechanics, but rather the pure action). I'm not sure if anyone on that team worked on it, but i'm sure some here on GAF might agree. Whether it's keeping the combo meter going for more extinction points so that you can buy better items, or just the numerous over the top moments. This is an action game through and through and one that no one should not be missed. If I had to be negative about DC2, it would be that playing it recently definitely showed that it was a bit simpler in terms of gameplay than I remembered. Though that's not entirely a bad thing. I think if anything RE6's combat just spoiled me and made me realize that a DC game in that style would be amazing. The ending in DC2 sure was great....up until DC3 came out and didn't resolve it. Seriously I don't think I have ever seen a game leave a cliffhanger that big open and then just ignore it in the next game. No Dino Stalker doesn't count as resolving it in my eyes.

All in all if you haven't played Dino Crisis 1 and 2 yet, what are you still doing here? There's a reason I love the games and it's not just because they have dinosaurs.

I have fond memories of both, the first more so.

Both games are different styles, but both work really well. We really need a Dino Crisis 3 as we never got one.

Played and loved them both, cool games. Would play again if they were on PSN, would sit alongside the Resident Evil games on my Vita.

I actually played them on PS1 and Dreamcast. Maybe just the first one on DC actually, and both on PS1. So good.gif

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Dino Crisis 1 to me is worth experiencing for anyone who is interested in the genre of survival-horror. It obviously is very Jurassic Park-like in a lot of ways, but also quite different. Many describe it as Resident Evil with dinosaurs, and that certainly is a fair assumption, but I also felt that somewhat diminishes what the game does very well. The enemies, while a bit limited, are interesting for this type of game. Having velociraptors be your main foe as opposed to zombies changes the gameplay up quite a bit, as they're fast, nimble, and often has you thinking quick on your feet to how to respond. The other dinosaurs are often more challenging as well, and make the dinos feel like a force to be reckoned with.

But even outside of the survival elements and dinosaurs, the game has some fantastic puzzles, some of the best I've personally experienced in a horror game. They're not usually hugely brain-teasing, but most are actually pretty fun, and the puzzles as a whole seem to have a focus on what'd be fun or interesting as opposed to being convoluted for the sake of being convoluted. The characters are also enjoyable, if not hammy.

I still need to beat Dino Crisis 2, but I've really enjoyed what I've played so far. It is definitely an action-game, and it reminds me of those battle games in the Resident Evil series mixed with an early adaption of the Mercenaries of Resident Evil 4 onward, but fleshed out into a full game with a story. The enemy variety is much larger, and very interesting, there still are a few puzzles here and there, and the locations and situations you find yourself in are well-done from where to I've played.

I also feel the dinosaurs shine more in this entry, simply as they have a lot of variety and are fun to fight. It becomes addicting combating them and trying to keep combos going for points. But then the game also has some good atmosphere and slow-down moments as well. It happens to have one of my favorite water levels in it.

Both are fantastic, yet very different, games.

Played and loved them both, cool games. Would play again if they were on PSN, would sit alongside the Resident Evil games on my Vita.

I actually played them on PS1 and Dreamcast. Maybe just the first one on DC actually, and both on PS1. So good.gif

They are on PSN, I know this as that's how I played them.

http://us.playstation.com/games/dino-crisis-psp-ps3.html

http://us.playstation.com/games/dino-crisis-2-ps3-psp.html

Jawmuncher

Capcom snuck 1 and 2 on PSN about 2 years ago actually.

killatopak

Gold Member
I freaking love this game. Completed both games to 100% including the Dino Colosseum in 2 .

I hope there's a real sequel to the series.

We really need a Dino Crisis 3 as we never got one.
51F5SR45SGL.jpg

Never played, but I'm curious about it. And if you've got a Guncon 2, Dino Stalker is sorta okay.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
51F5SR45SGL.jpg

Never played, but I'm curious about it. And if you've got a Guncon 2, Dino Stalker is sorta okay.

He was being a bit fallacious with that comment.

But I actually bought Dino Crisis 3 not too long ago, I'll definitely be making a thread on that when I happen to play it, as I actually know next to nothing on the game, other than it's terrible and has a terrible camera.

I need to play the Dino Crisis Gun Survivor game as well, but need to secure a copy first.

Jawmuncher

I never knew the games weren't released on the EU PSN. Definitely a huge oversight they need to fix.

As for Dino Crisis 3......screw that game. Dusk Golem at most you're are in for mediocrity and that's on a good day of playing it. It's being issue is that basically ignores the first 2 games story wise. Aside from that as you said the camera is atrocious and the story is possibly the worst thing capcom has ever managed to press on a disc. Also they some how ruined space dinos. I remember actually hating the game so much the first time I played it that I returned. Didn't buy it and beat it until years later just to see if there were any redeeming qualities.
In all honestly Dino Stalker is basically the real sequel to Dino Crisis 2 even if it's not a sequel story wise per se.

Vorg

Banned
Played dc2 for the first time e few weeks ago. Didn't care much for it, tbqh. It's extremely repetitive.

Tizoc

Dat ass 8)

I've got both DC1 and 2 on my Vita and they look really good in it. It is alas part of my Vita backlog but I don plan on playing them when I get around to.

How's that FPS Dino game from the PS2? Is it at least a decent shooting game?

Stein3x

So many great memories of these games :) Dino Crisis 1 was actually the first survival-horror game i played on psx before Resident Evil/Silent Hill/Alone in the Dark 4 etc.. I still remember the scene in the beginning where you find the first human corpse, completely torn in half. Such amazing games, too bad they didn't make a new game after the crappy DC3

kunonabi

didn't care for the first one much since it was just too easy to run past everything and completing any action(mo disk doors in particular) was just really tedious since everything felt like they took 2 more steps than they needed.

Haven't played DC2 but i get the feeling i'll probably like it better.

Regina was awesome though.

Top Bottom