• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the deal with Dragon Quest games no longer getting localized?

border

Square Enix probably doesn't think there is a market for them in the USA.

Who is going to play a Wii-exclusive MMO?

gngf123

Square Enix don't consider it worthwhile.

Nintendo pushed it and had success with it, but they shouldn't be expected to fill in for third party incompetence.

Sorian

Banned
Lightning will be in the next DQ game and it'll be over here before you can finish your first groan.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Any idea on why they aren't coming over? I doubt sales are the reason.

Which DQ game are you talking about? DQX? Never going to happen unless its the PC version. The mobile games? Those are possible. I believe most or all of them have come out here in one form or another. If you're talking about the DQVII 3DS version? Well, sales are the reason. =P

DJIzana

Fewer and fewer Japanese games are getting localized. (Funny, I remember asking if Gametrailers thought the same thing on an episode IW where they were taking questions but they were too blind to see it, obviously.)

Peff

No longer? There have been only two since DQVI DS, one of which is an MMO on the Wii and Wii U and the other is a remake of one of the biggest JRPGs ever released, quite possibly THE biggest. Even then, DQX will probably come over once the PC version is out, but understandably until then it's commercial suicide, and DQVII will probably be published by Nintendo worldwide later this year. The spin-offs aren't likely to come out, given how badly the latest ones bombed.

Aeana

I thought did okay for what they were? Unless SE was expecting it to catch on like FF.

It's a bit more complicated. Square Enix themselves did give up on Dragon Quest because of 5 DS's sales, and although in Nintendo's hands, 6 DS did better, and 9 did way better, DQMJ2 did extremely poorly and I think that's kept SE from really changing their mind about non-mainline DQ releases. As far as Nintendo goes, it's a bit of a mystery about what they choose to pursue and what they don't.

No longer? There have been only two since DQVI DS, one of which is an MMO on the Wii and Wii U and the other is a remake of one of the biggest JRPGs ever released, quite possibly THE biggest. Even then, DQX will probably come over once the PC version is out, but understandably until then it's commercial suicide, and DQVII will probably be published by Nintendo worldwide later this year. The spin-offs aren't likely to come out, given how badly the latest ones bombed.

The PC version has been out since December.

Nintendo showed that DQ can be successful if they put in the promotion effort, but I guess SE can't be bothered. Such a shame cause DQVII3D seems awesome.

As for X, even if they don't want it on Wii or WiiU, there's no reason why they can't release it on PC.

Freaking SE...

Aeana

Dragon Quest doesn't sell.

This is a bit silly to say as a blanket statement. Dragon Quest 9's sales were really good, and most Japanese RPG developers wish their games would attain sales like that. The remakes and spinoffs aren't selling very well, though.

Takao

Banned
I imagine SE feels that DQ isn't successful enough in the west to support a subscription based MMO.

Turn-based RPG's are a niche. Dedicated Handhelds are becoming a niche in the west. It doesn't seem worth it at this point to localize. Now look at this:
58.jpg
That is the script to Dragon Quest 7. Is it worth the man power and resources to completely localize rather than other games that would seemingly do better sales-wise and less work involved?

As much as would love Terry's Wonderland 3D, North America is not really a key market for these types of games any more.

Shinta

Banned
I think SQEX is more interested in the market that wants modern RPGs in NA, like Mass Effect, Skyrim, Dark Souls, and Dragon's Dogma.

Dragon Quest and Bravely Default are turn based, and retro-focused; and both have been brought over by Nintendo because SQEX doesn't think there's much of a market for it in NA. I think they're basically correct. The market for it exists, but its pretty small. Going with Nintendo in NA seems to be working for them.

Dezzy

if companies like XSEED and NIS can bring over the super niche games they do and still make money, I don't see why anyone couldn't do the same with Dragon Quest. Just be realistic with your budget and sales projections. Don't be like Squeenix and think everything has to sell 5+ million.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
We are talking about the company that wasn't satisfied with Tomb Raider selling millions in its first month on the market. With realistic expectations and localization efforts the series would be with a western publisher like Atlus USA or NIS. But SE would never let these companies publish their DQ games.

Turn-based RPG's are a niche. Dedicated Handhelds are becoming a niche in the west. It doesn't seem worth it at this point to localize. Now look at this:
That is the script to Dragon Quest 7. Is it worth the man power and resources to completely localize rather than other games that would seemingly do better sales-wise and less work involved?

As much as would love Terry's Wonderland 3D, North America is not really a key market for these types of games any more.

It was already localized on PS1. You think they could just reused that script and do small fixes and add anything new.

bryehn

I'd buy DQVII remake both digitally and physically. Hell, I'd even take a PSN release of the PS1 game at this point.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The phone games seem to have English so I suspect they might be coming through that channel soon.

Very little risk when you don't have to make retail copies.

What I don't get is why S-E can not bring games to the west clamining bad sales, when you have Atlus, Xseed and NISA bringing all kind of niche stuff.

Shinta

Banned
We are talking about the company that wasn't satisfied with Tomb Raider selling millions in its first month on the market. With realistic expectations and localization efforts the series would be with a western publisher like Atlus USA or NIS. But SE would never let these companies publish their DQ games.

I'd choose Nintendo over Atlus, or NIS every time when looking for a publisher.

injurai

Banned

Holy shit, that has to be more than just the script. That probably is explaining design and narrative decisions, and lore right?

my god.

Peff

The PC version has been out since December.

Huh, so it is. Don't know why I thought it was March. I guess now it'll depend on what SE thinks the overlap with FFXIV's audience would be.

EDIT: ^Nah, man :p DQVII is huge.

Aeana

It was already localized on PS1. You think they could just reused that script and do small fixes and add anything new.

No way. The standard of editing isn't up to modern standards, first of all, but it also does not match the new style for Dragon Quest localizations established in DQ8. They'd also still have to translate it to other languages (all DQ releases post-8 have been available in English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish).

Yawnier

Banned

There is like well over 50 binders in that picture. Sweet jesus.

Nerokis

No way. You're saying that entire bookshelf constitutes the script? How is that even possible? I feel like I'm misunderstanding you, and that I must be dumb for even contemplating that possibility.

I think DQX's chances at going international were stymied by FF14's reboot being a far bigger priority. Now the boat has long sailed.

Is DQX free to play anyway? Cause if it isn't I doubt it would do much of anything in the west.

Of course they could do a different pricing model for western release.

Shinta

Banned
I agree. My innocent eyes must be protected from tummies, thighs, butts and other similarly lewd things.

The Nintendo name alone gives it the kind of stature it deserves, and Nintendo has a lot of additional advertising resources on N. Direct or eShop. Small bits of clothing alteration don't mean much. If no one pointed it out I wouldn't have even noticed.

And Nintendo is wise to value the trust parents have in them as being family friendly. It means major $$$.

Aeana

Is DQX free to play anyway? Cause if it isn't I doubt it would do much of anything in the west.

Of course they could do a different pricing model for western release.

It's not free to play. It's also not the kind of game that would appeal to typical western MMO gamers, at all. And I say this as someone who played and really likes the game. It was always a bad idea to release it, although it was being considered at one point.

Effect

Dragon Quest 7 has already been localized. It was first released on the PS1. The 3DS game is a remake but no changes to the story as far as I know.

Dragon Quest was never as popular outside of Japan as Final Fantasy was. Combine that with sales expectations that likely were never realistic given the state of the franchise outside of Japan just makes Square Enix not give a damn anymore. Unless someone like Nintendo decides to foot the bill and do it themselves. However with Nintendo having their own RPG series is there really any need or desire for them to do so? I was actually surprised they did it for Dragon Quest 9 but then again Nintendo has always backed Dragon Quest when they could even if that just means they benefit from it in Japan only.

Edit: Sorry got the systems mixed up. 7 was PS1 while 8 was PS2.

Famassu

I thought did okay for what they were? Unless SE was expecting it to catch on like FF.
The spinoffs and remakes didn't sell all that well, some sold like shit. There's a reason why BOTH SQEX and Nintendo have shown no interest in bringing more DQ to the west.
They'll probably bring DQXI over if it's a normal DQ but don't expect them to bring any more ports, remakes or spinoffs here. The lackluater sales of pretty much every DQ but IX made sure of that

Dragon Quest 7 has already been localized. It was first released on the PS2. The 3DS game is a remake but no changes to the story as far as I know.
It was a PS1 game and if I've understood correctly, the original localization is a shitty rushjob, so SQEX would likely want to do it again. They'd probably do it again even if it wsn't that bad, they've certainly done it to a lot of ports/remakes in the past even if they didn't have to.

Xater

I still remember people gushing over their import copies of DQ7. To this day I haven't played and would totally pick it up for the 3DS.

Top Bottom