• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

MercuryLS

Banned
I wonder how many units Amazon got it, considering it's been in stock for a few days and it's selling really fast...must have been a very large shipment.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Amazon should make the PS4 page look like a QVC special with a live ticker counting down the units.

Lemondish

They're also completely different games. MGS4 is a SP game focused on storytelling in an era where MP games dominate. Titanfall has the potential to be so much bigger. Titanfall has also received an incredible amount of hype, deserved or not, and is actually coming very early in the generation.

The last point is really reaching. Most people on here seemed convinced that the same would happen with MGS4. I doubt the average gamer really thinks that at all and even then it won't be for ages.

Titanfall has the potential to have way, way more impact than MGS4. It may flop or just sell average but imo it has the potential to have a bigger impact just by nature of the type of game it is.

So just out of interest what are these big multiplayer games on the xbone and PS4 right now? Titanfall is coming out before that MP audience has been gobbled up.

Also your second sentence is exactly what people are arguing. The hype around titanfall is because it is supposed to something that really stands out and that's why it is being talked up. The question is whether or not it lives up to the hype.

Yet another Titanfall mention in a PS4 sales thread. At this point this game is so hyped that it'll be considered a failure if it doesn't launch Xbone sales to three times the current PS4 WW numbers.

I wonder how many units Amazon got it, considering it's been in stock for a few days and it's selling really fast...must have been a very large shipment.

Had to have been hundreds of thousands at the rate they sell. It looks like they are almost all gone now though(1-2 day processing message).

Yet another Titanfall mention in a PS4 sales thread. At this point this game is so hyped that it'll be considered a failure if it doesn't launch Xbone sales to three times the current PS4 WW numbers.

Yeah you're right it is way off topic and i agree that if it doesn't have a huge impact it will be a failure considering how much weight MS have put behind it.

Mikey Jr.

Would it be possible to measure how many they sold in 2 hours, and from there extrapolate how many units Amazon got?

Yeah, I know there are a lot of variables, but maybe it could give us a rough estimate?

Mrbob

I'm disappointed that the PS4 is going to sell out tonight. Curious to see what rankings would be later in the week after Tuesday when the TF bundle is officially out.

Yeah you're right it is way off topic and i agree that if it doesn't have a huge impact it will be a failure considering how much weight MS have put behind it.

You might want to tone down your expectations. TitanFall will help, but XB1 isn't the only platform it will be on. EA is pushing it pretty hard for PC. Go look at the origin website, as there is a count down to unlock time.

Dodecagon

The PS4 on Amazon.com is showing 930 left and still dropping fairly quickly. Go Sony.

Had to have been hundreds of thousands at the rate they sell. It looks like they are almost all gone now though(1-2 day processing message).

Would it be possible to measure how many they sold in 2 hours, and from there extrapolate how many units Amazon got?

Yeah, I know there are a lot of variables, but maybe it could give us a rough estimate?

06:35 - 930
10:37 - 382

4hrs 2min - 548 units

( 548 / 242 ) * ( 4 * 24 * 60 ) ~= 13K units

There yah go, some fuzzy back of an envelope math. I know zero about hardware shipments and all that, so this bit is all from my butt, but a 20k order of ps4s seems reasonable for amazon. Probably a huge initial surge and then a steady slightly oscillating stream of sales.

ClearData

I've seen a lot of mentions of Amazon but how are other retailers doing with stock?

I know this sounds crazy, and it's anecdotal, but I haven't seen a PS4 on store shelves in several retailers here in Tampa since November 15. Only a few Xbox One units in my local Walmart.

Others may have but everything looks picked clean from what I've seen.

I've seen a lot of mentions of Amazon but how are other retailers doing with stock?

I know this sounds crazy, and it's anecdotal, but I haven't seen a PS4 on store shelves in several retailers here in Tampa since November 15. Only a few Xbox One units in my local Walmart.

You can check here for online sites

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/ps4/

Sam's Club and Walmart are selling bundles while Amazon has the standalone console. They're the only site that isn't forcing a bundle right now.

So sad. I on the other hand have grown out of it! Ha!

371 :|

lol Viv, you and me are stuck in here tonight until they actually sell out :p

You can check here for online sites

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/ps4/

Sam's Club and Walmart are selling bundles while Amazon has the standalone console. They're the only site that isn't forcing a bundle right now.

Personally I find the stock tracker history even more fascinating :)

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/ps4/full_history.php

You can tell when retailers got stock in and how long it took to sell out

They're also completely different games. MGS4 is a SP game focused on storytelling in an era where MP games dominate. Titanfall has the potential to be so much bigger. Titanfall has also received an incredible amount of hype, deserved or not, and is actually coming very early in the generation.

The last point is really reaching. Most people on here seemed convinced that the same would happen with MGS4. I doubt the average gamer really thinks that at all and even then it won't be for ages.

Titanfall has the potential to have way, way more impact than MGS4. It may flop or just sell average but imo it has the potential to have a bigger impact just by nature of the type of game it is.

So just out of interest what are these big multiplayer games on the xbone and PS4 right now? Titanfall is coming out before that MP audience has been gobbled up.

Also your second sentence is exactly what people are arguing. The hype around titanfall is because it is supposed to something that really stands out and that's why it is being talked up. The question is whether or not it lives up to the hype.

Edit: That's super off topic in a thread about PS4 sales though.

Yes Titanfall has great potential but you did not address the fact that it's also being released on two other platforms with much much larger install bases. And when I said people think Titanfall will come to the ps4, in talking about the casual gamer who doesn't follow the industry closely. If you talk to people you'll see what I mean. People actually feel that way. They also think MP is free on the ps4. A lot of misinformation out there.

Legend has it that finding a PS4 on a store shelf is more rare than finding a four-leaf clover.

Cryoflar3

Think I saw 1 or 2 at gamestop by USF last week.

What was the initial number? Do you know? Thanks :) I'm west coast too! :D

Amazon only shows stock levels up to 999. Anything 999+ only allows you to add 999 to the cart

This seems the earliest post

The PS4 on Amazon.com is showing 930 left and still dropping fairly quickly. Go Sony.

So less than 5 hours to sell 500 consoles on Amazon

Building off of the nowinstock tracker history

Mar 07 2014 - 7:23 AM EST
Amazon - Console In Stock for $399.99

It's been in stock for around 2 and a half days. At 100 units an hour that would be 6000 units sold in less than 3 days but the average is taken from a small window on a sunday night so it could be higher

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I think the rule is that every single PS4 that ships sells. This shipment seems to have been a lot larger than their normal shipments to Amazon. Will be a couple of months before we actually see them in the wild, I think.

viveks86

Unless 6 million people play in their underwear, this tweet is off topic, but seemed worth sharing!

FIQZUF2.png

What was the initial number? Do you know? Thanks :) I'm west coast too! :D

Knowing that it's selling around 100 an hour now and they came in stock on the 3rd there have most likely been at least 25,000 units sold. I'm sure that they sold at a faster rate a week ago so I wouldn't be surprised if amazon received 45-55k units.

I'm sure these numbers are completely wrong but there's no doubt it's selling extremely well.

GobFather

Knowing that it's selling around 100 an hour now and they came in stock on the 3rd there have most likely been at least 25,000 units sold. I'm sure that they sold at a faster rate a week ago so I wouldn't be surprised if amazon received 45-55k units.

I'm sure these numbers are completely wrong but there's no doubt it's selling extremely well.

yeah I saw someone doing a little math estimation as well. I'm curious to know as well. I'm surprised its sold out in best buy. Do you think second son, is playing a small role as well?

06:35 - 930
10:37 - 382

4hrs 2min - 548 units

( 548 / 242 ) * ( 4 * 24 * 60 ) ~= 13K units

There yah go, some fuzzy back of an envelope math. I know zero about hardware shipments and all that, so this bit is all from my butt, but a 20k order of ps4s seems reasonable for amazon. Probably a huge initial surge and then a steady slightly oscillating stream of sales.
o.o

You might want to tone down your expectations. TitanFall will help, but XB1 isn't the only platform it will be on. EA is pushing it pretty hard for PC. Go look at the origin website, as there is a count down to unlock time.

Those aren't my expectations. I'm saying considering how much importance MS is placing on the game if it doesn't become a huge success than it will be a huge blow to MS. I'm not saying i think it will actually have that impact.

Dodecagon

If it went on sale 6 days ago, it'd be ~20k at it's current rate, I thought it was on sale 4 days ago. Either way, I think most of us agree the initial surge was probably high so doing the current rate is probably a lowball estimate.

Those aren't my expectations. I'm saying considering how much importance MS is placing on the game if it doesn't become a huge success than it will be a huge blow to MS. I'm not saying i think it will actually have that impact.

I walked into a Gamestop today and there was Titanfall everywhere. It was like a church in there. They even had a guy walking around handing out flyers full of Titanfall info telling us "the good news".

I've personally never seen anything like that before from Gamestop.

yeah I saw someone doing a little math estimation as well. I'm curious to know as well. I'm surprised its sold out in best buy. Do you think second son, is playing a small role as well?

o.o

See my math was off lol

I don't think infamous has a large part in the consoles success. Price is most likely the biggest factor. Considering no games really came out in the last two months and the PS4 generally sold out one would assume that the amount of sales will only be as high as Sony's production.

thethirstisreal.tiff

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
You know I've thought about it and I think that PS3's current price actually helps PS4. I see it like this: if I see an older product in a series like the PS3 retailing for only a hundred and fifty dollars less I would say to myself, "I might as well get the PS4, it's only X amount more." Now obviously I don't think this would work if the PS4 was 499, so I think they work off each other, more so the PS4.

If it went on sale 6 days ago, it'd be ~20k at it's current rate, I thought it was on sale 4 days ago. Either way, I think most of us agree the initial surge was probably high so doing the current rate is probably a lowball estimate.

Not sure we can do anything with it but for reference

Code:
Mar 07 2014 - 7:23 AM EST Amazon - Console In Stock for $399.99
Mar 05 2014 - 7:50 AM EST Amazon - Console In Stock for $399.99  
Mar 05 2014 - 7:43 AM EST Amazon - Console Out of Stock  
Mar 05 2014 - 7:31 AM EST Amazon - Console In Stock for $399.99  
Mar 05 2014 - 7:25 AM EST Amazon - Console Out of Stock  
Mar 05 2014 - 6:18 AM EST Amazon - Console In Stock for $399.99  
Mar 05 2014 - 6:12 AM EST Amazon - Console Out of Stock  
Mar 05 2014 - 5:32 AM EST Amazon - Console In Stock for $399.99  
Mar 05 2014 - 5:26 AM EST Amazon - Console Out of Stock  
Mar 05 2014 - 4:24 AM EST Amazon - Console In Stock for $399.99  
Mar 05 2014 - 4:19 AM EST Amazon - Console Out of Stock  
Mar 05 2014 - 4:08 AM EST Amazon - Console In Stock for $399.99  
Mar 05 2014 - 4:03 AM EST Amazon - Console Out of Stock
Mar 05 2014 - 1:19 AM EST Amazon - Console In Stock for $399.99  
Mar 05 2014 - 1:13 AM EST Amazon - Console Out of Stock  
Mar 05 2014 - 1:02 AM EST Amazon - Console In Stock for $399.99
Mar 05 2014 - 12:56 AM EST Amazon - Console Out of Stock 
Mar 04 2014 - 10:47 PM EST Amazon - Console In Stock for $399.99  
Mar 04 2014 - 10:42 PM EST Amazon - Console Out of Stock 
Mar 04 2014 - 9:17 PM EST Amazon - Console In Stock for $399.99  
Mar 04 2014 - 9:11 PM EST Amazon - Console Out of Stock  
Mar 04 2014 - 8:46 PM EST Amazon - Console In Stock for $399.99  
Mar 04 2014 - 8:42 PM EST Amazon - Console Out of Stock  
Mar 04 2014 - 6:43 PM EST Amazon - Console In Stock for $399.99

That's the total PS4 in stock history on Amazon in March

Maybe later I'll calculate how long it was in stock for total in March thus far and try to extrapolate an estimate off the 100 units/hour rate that is most likely underestimating the sellthrough

hawk2025

You know I've thought about it and I think that PS3's current price actually helps PS4. I see it like this: if I see an older product in a series like the PS3 retailing for only a hundred and fifty dollars less I would say to myself, "I might as well get the PS4, it's only X amount more." Now obviously I don't think this would work if the PS4 was 499, so I think they work off each other, more so the PS4.

Yep, this is how I see it.

The price gap is juuuuust small enough to make a lot of people go "hey, might as well go for the brand new PS4!".

EhoaVash

hmm interesting, I always see 2 or 3 ps4 at my local Target every time i get there, ofcourse they also have bunch of unsold Xbox ones and wii u's too.

meh don't plan on getting a ps4 not until probably mgs v

GobFather

hmm interesting, I always see 2 or 3 ps4 at my local Target every time i get there, ofcourse they also have bunch of unsold Xbox ones and wii u's too.

meh don't plan on getting a ps4 not until probably mgs v

oo where do you live? In SF, local Target and Bestbuy are out of stock for PS4. Was in Target just yesterday.

Sunday nights are usually the busiest for online stores.

what's the reason? Buying before the weekdays begin? :eek:

FiggyCal

Banned
oo where do you live? In SF, local Target and Bestbuy are out of stock for PS4. Was in Target just yesterday.

Target has been getting a steady supply throughout the week, at least that's what I've been told. They sell out very fast.

what's the reason? Buying before the weekdays begin? :eek:

Most people don't work or go to school on Sunday, and unlike Saturday are more likely to be at home, to prepare for the work or school the next day. Peak hour for shopping is at 8 P.M. Eastern or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom