• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Rohde on Amy Hennig's Departure [Up: Naughty Dog responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonboy

“Amy’s one of my favorite people,” he noted. “ love Amy. How can you not love Amy, right? [She was] an amazing contributor to Naughty Dog and PlayStation. I’m always going to have the deepest admiration for her. But things change, and sometimes change involves very high profile individuals. That’s all that’s happened here. There’s nothing else. There’s no more to dig at.”

Pressed for more information on the fact that Hennig was seemingly fired – our sources note that she didn’t leave on her own accord – Rohde said that he’s “never going to agree with the term ‘pushed out’” when it comes to Hennig.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03...people-change-business-changes-things-changea

Update:

Naughty Dog said:
Earlier this week we had to confirm the regrettable news that Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog. She will be missed and, as we stated before, we appreciate the significant contributions that she has made to Naughty Dog and the industry in general. We wish her the best.

However, we feel it necessary to clear up a very important point that was unprofessionally misreported when the story broke. Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann were NOT involved in what transpired. It was very upsetting to us that dozens of stories were run, linking back to the same hurtful accusations in the original report. As co-presidents of Naughty Dog, we are responsible for all studio affairs.

Normally, we wouldn’t respond to rumors and speculation on matters that are internal to Naughty Dog, but because the personal reputation of two of our employees is being damaged we needed to set the record straight. There is nothing left to be said on this subject. Now we’re going back to what we should be focused on – making games.

Official statement from Naughty Dog Co-Presidents Evan Wells and Christopher Balestra here: http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/statement_from_the_co_presidents1/

So then...

She asked for too much when renegotiating her contract?

EDIT: For the record I should have put 'too much' in brackets; I reckon Hennig is worth a fuckload. But Sony in a state of restructuring isn't necessarily able to afford it?

Well, seems like some shady shit went down. There's more to the story and they aren't saying anything. Doesn't look good on Naughty Dog, but it probably won't affect much, if anything.

pa22word

While I want to believe everything is cool over at Naughty Dog, after the blow up with Irrational I find it hard to trust anything anyone in the AAA gaming industry says on the record.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
"I won't agree on pushed out. More like booted out."

The lines between the lines... =)

Not buying their statement either.

Curufinwe

However, we feel it necessary to clear up a very important point that was unprofessionally misreported when the story broke. Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann were NOT involved in what transpired. It was very upsetting to us that dozens of stories were run, linking back to the same hurtful accusations in the original report. As co-presidents of Naughty Dog, we are responsible for all studio affairs.

Who were the professional misreporters?

Dr.Acula

Banned
Wow. Nothing like "Amy left to pursue opportunities elsewhere?"

"Things change?"

All I get from that release is "forced out."

Pop

Who knows what truly happened but let's not start blaming people. Probably a little bit of both parties fault here.

Whompa

Statement from the Co-Presidents of Naughty Dog on the situation.

"However, we feel it necessary to clear up a very important point that was unprofessionally misreported when the story broke. Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann were NOT involved in what transpired. It was very upsetting to us that dozens of stories were run, linking back to the same hurtful accusations in the original report. As co-presidents of Naughty Dog, we are responsible for all studio affairs. "

People. Please read. you can say "damage control" all you like, and you can believe whatever you want, but this is what was said, so take that how you will.

Naughty Dog said:
Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann were NOT involved in what transpired. It was very upsetting to us that dozens of stories were run, linking back to the same hurtful accusations in the original report. As co-presidents of Naughty Dog, we are responsible for all studio affairs.

Normally, we wouldn’t respond to rumors and speculation on matters that are internal to Naughty Dog, but because the personal reputation of two of our employees is being damaged we needed to set the record straight.
IGN running bullshit again?

SHOCKING NEWS!

IGN really need to come out give more details on that "forced out" accusation.

Its a big word to be tossing around without something to back it up.

"Forced Out" could be something as simple as contract negotiations not working out so they parted ways.

Like I said. Need details.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Good on them for calling out IGN/Greg Miller on the unprofessional phrasing and backing up their dudes. Would still like to hear from Amy though

Jonboy

The damage has already been done. Even if they are telling the truth (Personally, I have no doubt in my mind that they are) people will choose to believe that it is a big cover up.
Yep. A good name is worth more than riches and it's so easy to lose it. I'd be absolutely ticked if I were Bruce or Neil.

The fact that they won't tell us anything further apart from "things change", insist on dropping the whole affair to get back to making games, say they're setting the record straight to protect their employees (and not Hennig), and having nothing nice to say about Hennig, and having not heard a message from Hennig herself, pretty much seals the deal that this wasn't an amicable departure.

Terrell

Hmmm....

... because the personal reputation of two of our employees is being damaged we needed to set the record straight. There is nothing left to be said on this subject. Now we’re going back to what we should be focused on – making games.

Except you didn't "set the record straight" because there was no account of what actually happened.
There's fucking PLENTY left to say on the subject, Naughty Dog just doesn't want to embarrass themselves by telling us the truth of the matter.
This is some "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" bullshit.

Those trashing IGN for posting it... Please don't let me find you discussing and revelling in GAF's own insider threads in your posting history, because I hope you realise it's all the same information.

People hear things, and repeat. It's not always 100%.

So I have three questions;

1) The presidents message doesn't say that she wasn't pushed out, specifically, it just says that Straley and Druckmann weren't involved. Does that mean someone else pushed her out, or was that part of the IGN post wrong, too?

2)And if she wasn't pushed out, at least on some level, why only deny that Straley & Druckmann weren't involved in what 'transpired'?

3) Will, as the IGN article said, Straley & Druckmann (or one of them) be taking over Uncharted 4?

IGN really need to come out give more details on that "forced out" accusation.

Its a big word to be tossing around without something to back it up.

Shots have been fired back by Naughty Dog.

IGN either need to clarify their sourced details or hit back against Naughty Dog's position on what transpired.

Although it's IGN. They only care about clicks so they probably won't say a thing.

Jarmel

Banned
The fact that they won't tell us anything further apart from "things change", insist on dropping the whole affair, say they're setting the record straight to protect their employees (and not Hennig), and having nothing nice to say about Hennig, and having not heard a message from Hennig herself, pretty much seals the deal that this wasn't an amicable departure.

Pretty much, this wasn't a happy split. They're using a lot of words to try and avoid saying fired.

Carl

Gosh, they statement comes across a bit blunt doesn't it. Mind you, that's probably what's needed... I have no reason to think they'd lie about why it happened.

Shame on IGN

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Honestly, if she'd left on good terms, she would have said so by now. Her silence says more than anything from ND.

Kuro

Hmmm....

Except you didn't "set the record straight" because there was no account of what actually happened.
There's fucking PLENTY left to say on the subject, Naughty Dog just doesn't want to embarrass themselves by telling us the truth of the matter.
This is some "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" bullshit.

So you're going to believe a random rumor from IGN over the co-presidents of Naughty Dog. Nice job. For all we know Hennig went apeshit over not getting a raise or something.

Who knows what truly happened but let's not start blaming people. Probably a little bit of both parties fault here.

Pretty much. TBH, I think its none of our business.

Wont be surprised if the speculation here goes out of hand again. inb4gamespoilers. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom