• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unity 5 Announced

EDIT: Official site:

http://unity3d.com/5

Feature preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSfakMeW0lw

Enlighten in Unity 5 demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cYQeCMMmLc

http://venturebeat.com/2014/03/17/u...to-make-thousands-of-3d-games-more-realistic/

“We’ve got the most complex lighting in the industry now,” Helgason said.

Unity competes with rivals such as Crytek and Epic Games. Helgason said that Unity’s 3D graphics are more functional than Epic’s Unreal Engine 3, and new features will approach the quality of Unreal Engine 4.

“We think we can get to the point where we beat everything else out there,” Helgason said.

New features:
  • 64-bit support
  • Geomerics Enlighten (This is the lighting engine used in Frostbite 2/3 if you're curious what is is. Works on PC/console/mobile.)
  • PowerVR raytraced lightmap previews
  • Overhauled audio system
  • Physx 3.3
  • Unity Cloud ad-sharing network
  • WebGL support

Video by Mozilla on Unity's WebGL support:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWIRUaR9G4w

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
You will remember Geomerics as Frostbite's lighting system.

I think most people know what the other features are.

L~A

Hmmm, they're not mentionning which platforms will be supported?

And I wonder whether their current deal with Nintendo will also apply to this version of the engine, or if they'll have to make a new one.

Hmmm, they're not mentionning which platforms will be supported?

And I wonder whether their current deal with Nintendo will also apply to this version of the engine, or if they'll have to make a new one.

I doubt they are suddenly going to support less platforms.

So it basically is close to every platform that is currently used. Many effects that don't perform well on many platforms though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From someone that doesn't know too much about Unity. What does this mean?

64-bit makes it in line with the processors of modern consoles and mobile devices.

WebGL makes it conceptually better for making browser games natively without requiring the Unity plugin. Well, when WebGL performance improves enough that is.

Why have bigger game developers (on PC and consoles) been hesitant to switch to Unity? Is it because of additional licensing costs on high-profile titles, or profit-sharing? I can't imagine it's because it's too limiting, at this point...

epmode

I love Unity.

More specifically, I love how little it costs as well as how many platforms it supports. This is excellent news.

Why have bigger game developers (on PC and consoles) been hesitant to switch to Unity? Is it because of additional licensing costs on high-profile titles, or profit-sharing? I can't imagine it's because it's too limiting, at this point...

I guess it's mostly because of being used to engines that were more fully fledged earlier.

Orayn

From someone that doesn't know too much about Unity. What does this mean or what could be the outcome of this?

WebGL = Unity can be used for browser based games without needing to download any additional plugins
64-bit support = Unity games can use 64-bit instructions and a lot more memory

creid

I saw this announced on Polygon the other day but the story was quickly pulled. I guess some knew about it earlier?

Many developers are now using their own engines, big companies are always hesitant to switch. Unity is relatively new. And the performance can be pretty limiting.

Orayn

unity is going to be the defacto game development tool for any and every game at some point.

It's the 3D printing of game engines: Extremely useful for prototyping and certain small-scale applications, but not a magic bullet that replaces everything else.

Durante

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but every single Unity game I've played on PC has been plagued with (engine related) technical issues. Particularly large-scale games.

That, paired with what I saw Unity doing in a DirectX call log, makes me quite happy to see developers (particularly those of large-scale and high-end games) stick with other technology.

It's the 3D printing of game engines: Extremely useful for prototyping and certain small-scale applications, but not a magic bullet that replaces everything else.
Well said.

That, paired with what I saw Unity doing in a DirectX call log, makes me quite happy to see developers (particularly those of large-scale and high-end games) stick with other technology.

Well of course you have to expand on that one. What was it doing?

That will still come for Unity 4 in spring.

Sure and GRRM will release a new book then too.

Because its not really useful if you have time/money and some programmers at your disposal. Unity is better for studios that don't have time to develop their own renderer and engine but the longer you use Unity the more frustrating and limiting it becomes.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder what PhysX3.3 will bring.

I would really be able to plug in my own collision detection code while allowing physx to handle the rest.

Durante

Well of course you have to expand on that one. What was it doing?
Well, obviously I can't say if it was just that particular game or Unity in general, but among other things it was
- Querying the available resolutions 3 times
- More egregiously, setting tons of (mostly texturing-related) state parameters before almost every draw call, even if they weren't being used at all

Many games do things like that if you trace their behaviour on a low level, but that one was especially remarkable in that regard. And, well, that's on top of my general user-level experience with quite a few Unity-based games.

Sure and GRRM will release a new book then too.

Because its not really useful if you have time/money and some programmers at your disposal. Unity is better for studios that don't have time to develop their own renderer and engine but the longer you use Unity the more frustrating and limiting it becomes.

It is stated close at the top of the FAQ:

What is happening with the new GUI system?
The new GUI system will be in Unity 4.6, which will be released this Spring.

...nothing about the new GUI solution?

Does it even exist? :p

Hah yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I was at a Unity presentation this week actually, and the presenter was like "no, I'm not going to answer questions about the new GUI," haha. Still, new features look good. Maybe the GUI system in 5.1? ;)

Hah yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I was at a Unity presentation this week actually, and the presenter was like "no, I'm not going to answer questions about the new GUI," haha. Still, new features look good. Maybe the GUI system in 5.1? ;)

Here:

It is stated close at the top of the FAQ:

What is happening with the new GUI system?
The new GUI system will be in Unity 4.6, which will be released this Spring.

I wonder what games will utilize this engine?

There are already a huge amount of indie developers using the engine, I doubt the really big developers are going to use this.

Does the 64 bit thing mean Rust will stop running like shit?

No, from what I see it is only for the editor. Unity can very easily run like shit.

Top Bottom