• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paradox Interactive to distribute Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity

LuuKyK

Paradox Interactive has announced a partnership deal with developer Obsidian Entertainment to distribute crowd-funded role-playing game Pillars of Eternity.

"Ultimately we're a developer, and I worked for a publisher for 12 years, and there are certain things I just don't want to have anything to do with, as it relates to distributing games. I don't want to have a warehouse, I don't want to build up a customer service department. We'll totally support our game online and in forums, but I don't want to have to figure out how to get something where people can call in and ask about the game. [...] There's these things, these legitimate things, that publishers provide and we just don't ever want to do.

It made clear that Obsidian still owns the Pillars of Eternity IP and was absolutely in charge of development. Crucially, "The partnership has no influence over our projected launch date," Obsidian wrote

"By handing off duties not related to development, Obsidian can focus on making the game that much better. We truly believe this is for the good of the game and, by extension, for the good of the community," the FAQ added.

More at the link.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ing-pillars-of-eternity-obsidians-explanation

Hmm. I kind of assumed what with the crowd funding and digital release (presumably?) that Obsidian would handle the distribution themselves.

Distribute, not publish.

Yep-distribute and marketing, not publishing. Paradox agrees to do this work for Obsidian (because they don't want to), and in return Paradox gets paid for their effort. Obsidian still owns the IP and controls all of the development funding and decisions. Obsidian is basically contracting out the services of PI for this, instead of the usual (and corrosive) arrangement the other way around.

It's very unlikely anyone else in the mid-range PC space would be as flexible as Paradox to agree and accept this arrangement.

I chose "publish" because of this quote here:

A mod can edit it if its wrong.

You chose "publish" because it will generate a 20 page thread when people that don't know how to read like this poster:

They should've been upfront about this when the Kickstarter was launched.

freak out at Obsidian thinking that they went behind their backer's backs and got a publisher.

LuuKyK

You chose "publish" because it will generate a 20 page thread when people that don't know how to read freak out at Obsidian.

Are you kidding me? Why would I even do this? How would that even benefit me? I don't even plan on buying the fucking game. Honestly, some people are just unbelievable...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seems a good fit for a more hardcore CRPG like this. Especially for Europe.

Are you kidding me? Why would I even do this? How would that even benefit me? I don't even plan on buying the fucking game. Honestly, some people are just unbelievable...

The same thing happened with Broken Age, with the thread title stating that they asked for more money when that never happened. Just trying to make sure things are accurate.

Predict the future? I doubt the fact they don't like handling customer service and distribution came up just now. What's next? "Songs of Eternity $3 DLC"?
What are you basing this off of? Do you even know anything about Paradox?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They should've been upfront about this when the Kickstarter was launched.

Honestly, why?

The Kickstarter was to fund the development of the game. This publishing/distribution agreement changes nothing in that regard.

There is a lot of work involved with putting a game up for sale and supporting it, especially if you want to have a physical product, too. I don't see why there would be an issue here.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Predict the future? I doubt the fact they don't like handling customer service and distribution came up just now. What's next? "Songs of Eternity $3 DLC"?

I believe it's going to be always online DRM.

LuuKyK

The same thing happened with Broken Age, with the thread title stating that they asked for more money when that never happened. Just trying to make sure things are accurate.

Dude, I don't even know what Broken Age is, much less what thread about it you are talking about, I am just reporting what was posted on twitter. If the title is inaccurate you can send a PM to a mod for him/her to change it instead of supposing other people's intentions to create a thread.

Edit: Well, and thats exactly what happened. :)

ArjanN

Hmm. I kind of assumed what with the crowd funding and digital release (presumably?) that Obsidian would handle the distribution themselves.

It makes sense to outsource that stuff to someone who has the setup for it instead of wasting a ton of time and resources on doing it yourself, a lot of kickstarters do this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Ouch, man... right back at you.

Check the Steam pages for Europa Universalis III, IV, Crusader Kings, Victoria II, etc.

I still like Paradox, though.

As long as the terms are reasonable, Obsidian still owns the IP, and has full control of the content (all of which appear to be true, going by the FAQ) then this seems like the right move. While gamers love to hate publishers, they do provide developers with a number of services that have to be performed by someone, and most devs don't want to be in the business of packing boxes.

If publisher are willing to provide those services on a for-hire basis, that's fantastic for devs that have their own funding, but don't want to spend time on things that aren't directly related to making a game.

Ogimachi

Seriously? Isn't their history enough?
Honestly, why?

The Kickstarter was to fund the development of the game. This publishing/distribution agreement changes nothing in that regard.

There is a lot of work involved with putting a game up for sale and supporting it, especially if you want to have a physical product, too. I don't see why there would be an issue here.
The fact it's Paradox is irrelevant. People would go nuts if KS projects suddenly entered the "EA Partners" program. EDIT: Even if the arrangement was identical.

let's be real about this for a second-Obsidian did not want to have to take people off of the team to manage things like press betas, events/shows scheduling, press releases, pre-release marketing, and such. Yuck. I can see why they contracted distribution and marketing out to Paradox.

That is the arrangement here.

edit: These DLC cheap shots are hilarious. Paradox can't add them into the game without Obsidian providing them. Obsidian is in complete control of the property.

The fact it's Paradox is irrelevant. People would go nuts if KS projects suddenly entered the "EA Partners" program.

The whole point is that paradox isn't EA partners

just because a game has a publisher doesn't mean the game is going to drown in DLC, especially considering paradox has nothing to do with the games development outside of distribution.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously? Isn't their history enough?

Those are for Paradox developed games. The stuff they merely publish are typically not as crazy with the DLC.

The fact it's Paradox is irrelevant. People would go nuts if KS projects suddenly entered the "EA Partners" program.

Some people might, but they'd be equally as ridiculous. If anything, this decision is letting Obsidian focus even more of their resources on the development by choosing to share revenue with a partner to handle the distribution, customer service, and other not-so-fun stuff.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

No, its not irrelevant. People's reactions would be entirely different if they announced they were partnering with Valve or Activision.

JDSN

Banned
This is so much bullshit, when I ask for consumer support I want Avellone to pick up the fucking phone himself!...Is what I would say if this werent such a trivial thing.

epmode

edit: These DLC cheap shots are hilarious. Paradox can't add them into the game without Obsidian providing them. Obsidian is in complete control of the property.

Right!

That said, Paradox's approach to DLC is pretty awful. They're one of my favorite publishers in spite of that but yeesh.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The more they can focus on the game the better for me as a backer. I have no problems with that. Paradox is not necessarily known for caring about "mass appeal" as far as I know.

Right!

That said, Paradox's approach to DLC is pretty awful. They're one of my favorite publishers in spite of that but yeesh.

I kind of disgree here. they are very upfront about what is cosmetic DLC. The "big" DLC expansions have content well worth the price, and include features to the base product as well. It's more or less the Firaxis expansion model with faster turnround times.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The more they can focus on the game the better for me as a backer. I have no problems with that. Paradox is not necessarily known for caring about "mass appeal" as far as I know.

Paradox is known for their strategy games about European history with interfaces that are slightly less complicated then a space shuttle. I wouldn't say mass appeal is something they're too concerned with.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Some people acting real fucking alarmist in here, showing severe lacking of understanding of this arrangement.

Almighty

Seems like good news to me. Obsidian is still in control of the project and they don't have to spend time and money on things they would rather not. I don't see why some are upset as I always figured that Obsidian would find a distributor for at least the physical copies of this game and you can do much worse then Paradox.

As for the CK2 DLC well I guess I am part of the problem as I buy all that stuff up. I am so weak when it comes to CK2, but then again since they keep releasing fun expansions for it I regret nothing.

Top Bottom