• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quixel Megascans CryEngine trailer

-SD-

Banned
That lighting, them textures...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CeRcJHdJbo
Environment created entirely using Quixel Megascans, rendered in CryEngine.

For more information visit: http://quixel.se

EDIT:

Higher quality MP4 download: https://vimeo.com/89224023

365MB, 1920x1080, 30fps, 38462kbps.

http://dev.quixel.se/megascans
MEGASCANS is a new breed of material library, finally bringing full real-world surface scans to the art community.

- - -

Unrelated but, there's also this Quixel Suite trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkLFWFskgxE

What's the game that's quickly shown at 0:54? No Man's Sky? Homeworld: Shipbreakers?

Here's a pic:

SJRB

Gold Member
...not sure what I'm missing here, those textures look pretty bad. Might be the Youtube compression though.

Zaptruder

Banned
That's pretty fuckin' sweet.

For those that don't know what they're looking at - it's a procedural texture generation tool that has a massive range of inbuilt materials that you can tweak to your hearts content along a wide range of parameters.

Basically, it's a way for developers to leverage AAA assets at a fraction of cost and labour.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
by my reckoning it would take them about four months to make the whole of uncharted 3 with this

Quixel is the name of the company.
These are just art tools that are designed to streamline an artists workflow. So this'll only be interesting to you if you're an artist.

jaypah

For those that don't know what they're looking at - it's a procedural texture generation tool that has a massive range of inbuilt materials that you can tweak to your hearts content along a wide range of parameters.

Basically, it's a way for developers to leverage AAA assets at a fraction of cost and labour.

Hey, that's pretty cool. Devs need all the help they can get so it's nice to see tools like this.

schuey7

Any idea which games are featured at the end of the suite video.They look good and one of them reminds me of shipbreakers?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Hey Zaptruder,

Looking at their developers website that was linked in the OP, I am not getting the procedural generation part. It feels like I am missing something uber-obvious :).

"Browse, preview and download 1000+ materials scanned with Quixel’s groundbreaking HDR surface capture technology and experience real diffuse, specular, normal, translucency, AO and much more."

"Get true Diffuse, Specular, Gloss, Normal (Surface+Subsurface), Displacement, Ambient Occlusion, Translucency, Scatter (Deep+Shallow) and Transparency, all pre-tiled and in noiseless 32 bit HDR, identically exposed for 100% consistency."

"With Megascans there is no guesswork -- each pixel of every map has been physically scanned, and every material component has been fully separated. "

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Looks a bit like the Naughty Dog Lightning Engine.

u3-museum.jpg

Uncharted-3-Gameplay-Videos-Chateau.jpeg

Zaptruder

Banned
Hey Zaptruder,

Looking at their developers website that was linked in the OP, I am not getting the procedural generation part. It feels like I am missing something uber-obvious :).

"Browse, preview and download 1000+ materials scanned with Quixel’s groundbreaking HDR surface capture technology and experience real diffuse, specular, normal, translucency, AO and much more."

"Get true Diffuse, Specular, Gloss, Normal (Surface+Subsurface), Displacement, Ambient Occlusion, Translucency, Scatter (Deep+Shallow) and Transparency, all pre-tiled and in noiseless 32 bit HDR, identically exposed for 100% consistency."

"With Megascans there is no guesswork -- each pixel of every map has been physically scanned, and every material component has been fully separated. "

It's not fully procedural (as in drag some sliders around and create bricks of this size, etc) - but it is partially procedural - giving artists a large palette of textures that they can customize multiple properties of (colour, specularity, depth, blending, etc).

tauke

Their library is pretty awesome for any artists to work on as it is already processed to have their respective maps needed for photorealistic materials as used in CryEngine 3 (UE4, Fox Engine, etc).

Processing any photos as texture for PBR (physically based rendering) did add more work than the usual diffuse, specular and normal textures commonly seen in last gen so this plugins will help to accelerate any production pipeline especially the texturing part.

EDIT: Oh just realise they also develop NDO plugin to generate normal maps which is often used by a lot of game texture artist. With this gen demand of more accurate/realistic rendering, this softwares will soon be part of most studio pipeline.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The wording doesn't even specify that it was textured in ten days.
You heard it here first, modeling takes 0 seconds.
Straight up lies.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's not fully procedural (as in drag some sliders around and create bricks of this size, etc) - but it is partially procedural - giving artists a large palette of textures that they can customize multiple properties of (colour, specularity, depth, blending, etc).

Yeah, the demo showed how there are tons of knobs the artist can pull to mix and match and blend different materials and vary some of the properties they can apply to the materials, it was super impressive :). Especially considering that they say it is the result of a single (capable) artist working only 10 days on it (texturing only maybe).

Here is their website
Quixel's immensely popular NDO and DDO have been completely reimagined, bringing faster texturing experiences than ever.

MEGASCANS is a new breed of material library, finally bringing full real-world surface scans to the art community. Browse, preview and download 1000+ materials scanned with Quixel’s groundbreaking HDR surface capture technology
and experience real diffuse, specular, normal, translucency, AO and much more.

This is a library of textures for people to use.
Looks a bit like the Naughty Dog Lightning Engine.

u3-museum.jpg

Uncharted-3-Gameplay-Videos-Chateau.jpeg

No

Isn't just a tool demo? Lighting was pretty nice and textures looked good (if a bit inconsistant). Looked in keeping with CE3 really.

Metal-Geo

Isn't just a tool demo? Lighting was pretty nice and textures looked good (if a bit inconsistant). Looked in keeping with CE3 really.
From the looks of it, Quixel is a set of tools to help 3D model texturing. With integration support for Photoshop. Editing textures and previewing them in realtime in Photoshop.

Although not exactly revolutionary, it's definitely impressive looking.

joesiv

I think a lot of people are missing the point. It isn't about the engine, or the scene, it's about the shaders that make the scene possible by one artist in a matter of days.

These are pre-made shaders that you can just plunk onto some geometry and get a very advanced look, something that in the past artists would have to paint or model meticulously. Mixing the shaders and painting them onto geometry is how they get the brick coming through the other surfaces.

The Ivy shader is very impressive!

Hey Zaptruder,

It would seem that the textures are scanned in HDR, but perhaps there is some procedural generation in the shader for other aspects.

I've been out of this texturing game for a while, but I don't know if this is par for the course today, but I'm very impressed! I guess with all these advanced shaders and mapping techniques supported in all consoles and video cards, this stuff is a lot more feasible.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Easier and cheaper ways to create unique assets is the kind of tech that has my interest.

-PXG-

It's amazing how vast and user friendly tool sets have become over the years. This is really neat stuff. It's software like this that will leverage the alleged exuberant costs of AAA next gen development. And as a 2D guy, this will help me make the jump to 3D even easier.

Dennis

Banned
It's amazing how vast and user friendly tool sets have become over the years. This is rally neat stuff. It's software like this that will leverage to alleged exuberant costs of AAA next gen development

But then what will be their excuse?

SystemBug

It's hard to find documentation on some of this stuff. I'm working on an open world game with a friend and something like this would be useful - however we are going for more stylized look. Is it possible to feed your own textures into the program?

UrbanRats

The video looks amazing, but i hate how they don't mix it up just for shit and giggles.

Put the grass texture and material properties on the dude's supposedly metal mask!
Give him a brick-wall armor!

OryoN

Since it's procedural, that means textures would take up considerably less RAM, allowing artists to basically go nuts right?

Top Bottom