• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Shots ruined Top Gun for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gym has a cardio room that has a theatre like atmosphere with treadmills and bikes. They're playing Top Gun today and as I am on the elliptical watching this I am almost ready to bust out laughing because I'll think of the shot by shot parody that is Hot Shots. I don't think I can watch Top Gun anymore without laughing. It's a shame they can't make parody movies like this anymore.

http://youtu.be/ih78dz2XyLc
http://youtu.be/qAfbp3YX9F0

Shadybiz

One of my favorite parody movies. Lloyd Bridges really seals the deal.

"Who put that crab there?"
"I didn't see any crab, sir."
"Don't give me that, there were 2 crabs, they work in pairs. I went to Annapolis for Christ's sake."

Kinyou

It's hard to take Top Gun seriously after having seen Top Gun.

rs_400x167-13123010368pk88.gif

Hot Shots is good. I like Hot Shots! Part Deux slightly more though.

Interesting looking back and seeing Charlie Sheen, Jon Cryer and Ryan Stiles in the same movie.

I saw Top Gun in theaters when it was re-released in 3D. I wasn't a big fan to be honest. The conflict wasn't that compelling for a drama movie and there wasn't enough action for it to be an action movie. It had good music, attractive actors, some cool fighter scenes, and that's about it.

Edit: I guess it could be described as a "love story", but it wasn't particularly moving. At least Hot Shots was funny.

SJRB

Gold Member
My gym has a cardio room that has a theatre like atmosphere with treadmills and bikes. They're playing Top Gun today and as I am on the elliptical watching this I am almost ready to bust out laughing because I'll think of the shot by shot parody that is Hot Shots. I don't think I can watch Top Gun anymore without laughing. It's a shame they can't make parody movies like this anymore.

http://youtu.be/ih78dz2XyLc
http://youtu.be/qAfbp3YX9F0

Hahaha even the Hot Shots trailer gets me rolling. Amazing movies, for sure.

If you have no nostalgia for Top Gun, you aren't going to like Top Gun. I am clueless when people tell me they love Independence Day or Jurassic Park because I saw those when I was older and knew those where shit movies.

Platy

For a while I REALLY confused the two movies.

The fact that Hot Shots received the title of "Top Gang" on brazil surely didn't helped =P

But my favorite is the sequel where it takes on Rambo

Damn you, I was getting work done started watching Youtube clips then found myself back at Airplane! and am in a Youtube spiral of ZAZness. Damn you!

AC!D

If you have no nostalgia for Top Gun, you aren't going to like Top Gun. I am clueless when people tell me they love Independence Day or Jurassic Park because I saw those when I was older and knew those where shit movies.

Independence Day, fine. But Jurassic Park? Really?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I enjoy Top Gun... but I am unsure how you can ruin Tom Gun when it was so silly to begin with. The only part where Top Gun really takes itself seriously is when Goose bumps his head, and even then it's not drama, it's melodrama.

Watching Top Gun recently I was STRUCK by the overt hidden gay 'jokes' or whatever.

INT Pilot briefing room - Day

While watching Vietnam air combat reel

Pilot #1:
'this is giving me a hard on'

Pilot #2 (leans in)
'dont tease me'

and so on....

Independence Day, fine. But Jurassic Park? Really?

Yeah it was just people screaming at dinosaurs for 2 hours. I wanted every one of those stupid characters to die. Especially annoying Laura Dern.

What age were you when you watched it? You can tell how old a person is by the shitty movies they like.

bryanee

Yeah it was just people screaming at dinosaurs for 2 hours. I wanted every one of those stupid characters to die. Especially annoying Laura Dern.

What age were you when you watched it? You can tell how old a person is by the shitty movies they like.

*leaves thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom