• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Community Thread: Come in! Would you like a Puff-Puff?

My DQ Experience so far :

Beat the 1st on NES.

Got lost in 2 on the NES and never managed to finish it... I have the GBA versions of both but can't seem to find the time to finish it! Is it worth it?

Rented 3 a dozen times but never made it very far, it's my favorite of the NES games though.

I've beaten 4 on the DS

I've got 5 but haven't started it.

I'm right at the end of 9 but I got so obsessed with the treasure maps and character classes that I got super sidetracked and have now lost my motivation to finish it...

And Rocket Slime was one of my favorite games for the DS hands down, the multiplayer is really the best part of it.

Great thread!

Joqu

Man I wish there was a patch out there that added party chat back in the DS version of Dragon Quest IV. I know there have been several attempts but they always died out of a lack of interest. :(
I'd do one myself but I'd first have to work on my hacking skills.... and my Japanese. .__.

Anyway, I love Dragon Quest. I'm bad at keeping up with community threads but I'll try to post here some more~

Man, after Dragon Quest 9 I didn't think we would be where we are today with the series. I remain hopeful that we Americans will get some localizations in the near future...but the past few years has been very tough as someone who has been there since the first game on NES. As sad as the lack of recent localizations has been, I can at least find solace in the fact that importing is an option, albeit an expensive one and I do have experience playing a couple of the games in Japanese. Even still I would really love for this classic series to have a Western presence again, preferably on console (DQ8 style game in HD is pretty much my dream project at this point) as I'd love to share the games and experiences with my friends.

Hang in there fellow DQ fans!

KiTA

One of my favorite gaming memories was sitting at school, waiting for a ride, playing hours upon hours of Dragon Warrior Monsters, walking around dungeons with my Metal Slime, "Dood." (Hey, it was limited to four characters, give me a break.)

I check gaming news websites daily to see if Square Enix has come to their senses and announced a DQ7 / DQM1 localization. No such luck. =/

I did import a J3DS and DQM1, actually, and I think DQM2 / DQ7 are on the Japanese eShop.

It's not THAT hard to read (only ~100 kanji), maybe I should pick up my copy of Heisig's book and try to break through the language barrier...

KiTA

Okay, what's a Puff-Puff?

An in joke based on Akira Toriyama's legendarily dirty mind. Most games have a fake out where you think you're getting one, and it invariably turns out to be someone pranking you. Jessica had it as an ability in one of her trees in DQ8.

Nice thread! My first experience was Dragon Warrior on the NES and I believe that was it until years later I played the Super Famicom remake of I and II and I played most of VIII but I gave it a break near the end. I'm hoping to really upgrade my HTPC and replay VIII via emulator. Recently, I've played IV, IX, and Fortune Street.

Alena is my waifu.

Also, something to contribute. There's a fan translation of DQ AND FF Itadaki Street Portable

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2077/

It's not the cleanest looking translation, but it's thorough and very playable.

Also, I'm now helping the guy, Moto Queiba, fix up and translate the graphics. I would post screens but I'm half a world away from my computer right now. As someone who's never worked on something like this before really proud of the results so far.

P3P5I

So I started the series with Dragon Warrior Monsters I and II, and they were probably the best JRPG's I've ever played. The depth with breeding was just incredible (though goldslimes were plain OP). I like the monster system of the earlier games more than the people party system of the newer games, but both systems are so fun to play in the end. It seems like everyone likes the people party system, so can someone tell me why they like the new system more than the old one?

neoemonk

As much of a Dragon Quest fan that I am, I've never finished DQ VIII. It came out when I was in the throes of my WoW addiction, so I missed that and Final Fantasy XII. Secret shame revealed.

I did play all of the NES games growing up, and I played fan translations of V and VI back in 2001 or 2002. I have the DS games still sealed on my shelf at home, and I played IX all the way to completion twice, not to mention playing it a ton with a group of guys at my old job during lunch every day for a few months.

I've basically given up on VII remake and X coming out in the US though. It's more likely that I'll learn Japanese and import them at this point.

Dragon Quest will forever live in my heart as the game that really got me into RPGs and gaming in general. I remember playing it several times as a kid on the NES and loving each play. This was my gateway game to other RPGs including Final Fantasy. I've played all of them except the third one and DQVIII is probably my favorite thus far.

Great thread idea!

Ourobolus

Banned
Better known in the west as motorboating.

image.php
image.php
image.php

Ahhh....this thread makes me happy. I just bought DQ I & II on GBC to hopefully help a bit in my Japanese studies. DQ in general is probably one of my top 3 favorite series of all time.

KiTA

That actually sounds awesome.

It should. Rocket Slime 3 ("Rocket Slime" in the US is actually the second game) involves a bunch of Slimes getting pissed off at being XP Fodder and deciding to become freaking PIRATES instead.

jackal27

Banned
My favorite video game series hands down.

My first experience was Dragon Warrior on the NES. I bought it alongside my NES around 2000. It didn't really hook me, but I still played it for a while.

The one that really did it for me was Dragon Warrior 3 on the Game Boy Color. Maybe that was actually my first? I don't know. Anyway, it was one of my first 8 bit/16 bit RPGs and it really blew me away. For some reason the art in the instruction booklet, the simple story, the personality test, and creating my own characters with THIER own personalities really drew me in.

The head canon I had while playing that game was the best. It was everything I loved about the Final Fantasy games, but it felt so much more light-hearted.

I continued to dig Dragon Quest games, but VIII didn't really hook me like III did. What really pulled me back into the series were the DS games, especially V (my favorite RPG ever at this point) and DQM: Joker 1&2. DQIX sealed the deal. I poured over 250 hours into that game and there is still tons of stuff I have left to do. I adore Dragon Quest IX. It was a shame when the servers got shut down...

turnbuckle

Subscribing!

I was listening to the Dragon Warrior/Quest episode of Retronauts last night and one of the guests mentioned something that I haven't been able to find someone else talk about yet - something that happened to me a couple of times.

On Dragon Warrior III (NES) there were a few times when I turned on the game and I got a message saying that Zoma deleted my Imperial Scrolls of Honor. I had an NES that would crash every now and then (who didn't) and a few times when this happened I got that message when I'd turn the game back on. I feel like the game also gave that "cursed" sound effect when it'd happen, although that may be a memory I'm making up. But the Scrolls getting erased occasionally after a game crash definitely occurred and I was so glad I heard someone else mention it.

Anyone here experience that? For the life of me I can't find any images of it online.

Nicely made community thread, hopefully Dragon Quest 7 for the 3DS is announced for localisation soon.

Dragon Warrior 1 was my intro to the series and the first RPG I beat on my own (I watched my dad play through FF1). I borrowed DW2 but never got that far, and it wasn't until years later when someone recommended the SNES version that I really got that far.

I think 3 is probably the mainline entry I've put the least amount of time in. I know I tried the GBC version on emulator at one point but didn't get that far.

CorvoSol

So I have beaten Dragon Quest III, IX, Monsters and Joker 1. Currently playing DQ IV when I get free time to do it. I'm not the world's biggest fan of Dragon Quest, but I really think it's a solid series. I'd kill to have the 3DS version of Monsters released in America.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I love DQ. I did get into them until the DS Zenithia trilogy and number 9.
I'm gonna play the PS2 one next, either on iOS or through emulation.

Even though I was a late comer to the series it still gives me huge nostalgia. Wonderful music as well.

Mothman91

Only played VIII and man, that game is fucking awesome. I can see why people say that game has the perfect jrpg elements. I would hope on Vii if they did localize it.

I <3 Dragon Quest. And it's one of my Top 5 favourite series in all of gaming. Too bad this generation seems like the polar opposite of the last with zero localisations so far.

Teknoman

It should. Rocket Slime 3 ("Rocket Slime" in the US is actually the second game) involves a bunch of Slimes getting pissed off at being XP Fodder and deciding to become freaking PIRATES instead.

Wasnt there one on the way for 3DS?

Nista

I want to play VII 3DS so badly. It's a shame it's not in localization right now, now that bravely default is all done.

Feels wrong not having a DQ game to look forward to.

To my great shame I never even tried it.

Sell me on it?

Let's see - first off, it's not a Dragon Quest game except for the setting. It's an action RPG kind of like Zelda, but you play as a slime (adorable) and there's a stretching mechanic with the touchscreen iirc where you launch yourself at enemies. The story is fine, and there's a collection/town building mechanic but it really shines in the tank battles, especially multiplayer. You are in control of a huge mechanical tank (in the shape of various enemies from the DQ series) that has three(?) cannons on board, and you have to manually load ammunition into each cannon to shoot at the other player.

So you're frantically running around your ship picking up ammo to shoot at the other guy, deciding to fire high or low (your ammo can collide in mid-air), deciding which items to shoot (there are TONS of different items, all of which do different damage and can have various other effects on the enemy tank). The coolest thing to me is just how frantic it all is, you can bring in NPC characters to help you, you can invade the enemy tank, you can even jump into your own cannons and fire yourself at the enemy tank, which is just bonkers. It's surprisingly deep and strategic for how simple and cute it appears on the surface, and the action is fast paced and always varied... I loved it, my brother and our friends played the hell out of it when this game was new.

Hope that helps.

Edit : I was way late with my reply, sorry, I'm at work. This guy's answer was way more efficient, and completely accurate :

Imagine Zelda, if Link got pissed off and jumped into a goddamned tank mecha... and so did Ganondorf.

Faustek

snip

Edit : I was way late with my reply, sorry, I'm at work. This guy's answer was way more efficient, and completely accurate :

Hell yes. Why the hell did I ignore this!? Life? Pfft, I was probably drunk and forgot about it for years.

Amazon Canada here I come! Can't find it in Sweden or from a trusted UK seller :)

Was there any plans to bring DQ7 over? I haven't heard much but any news would be great.

Honestly? Low, now after Bravely Defaults success? Higher. I would guess that a remake of VIII is already happening in the land of the rising Sun.

Omfg jgfjmiytgnhdrjkbferiolbfdykvdun

Welcome to old children's entertainment.(screw children I'm old and I still like it)

Aeana

Thanks.

Actually this reminds me:
Between DQ 1-6, what're the best versions of each game to play?
1, 2, 3: SNES
4: DS
5: PS2
6: SNES is my preferred version, I like the DS version a lot less, but the fan translation of the SNES version leaves a fair bit to be desired.

Tizoc

I'm patiently waiting for DQ7 to be released for 3DS in EU, I got DQ 4, 5 and 9 on NDS, and have 8 on PS2 =)

@Aeana: Thanks, but what about the GBC versions of 1-3?

Aeana

I'm patiently waiting for DQ7 to be released for 3DS in EU, I got DQ 4, 5 and 9 on NDS, and have 8 on PS2 =)

@Aeana: Thanks, but what about the GBC versions of 1-3?
The GBC versions are what I would call second best. But they're close enough to the SNES versions for the most part, graphics/sound aside.

Top Bottom