• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the order 1886 new details from engine Gdc 2014

luca_29_bg

you can find much more here http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/03...nd-new-details-on-the-engine-emerge-from-gdc/

"We learn that work on The Order: 1886 began in early 2011, and it originally only had two graphics programmers. Now the team has five. The game employs a total of about 100 developers.

The latest version of the in-house engine used by Ready at Dawn is compatible with DirectX 11 and PS4, but it’s heavily geared towards PS4, and it includes physically based rendering from the start. it also involves fine-grained task scheduling, Low-overhead, multithreaded command buffer generation and relies on the “PS4 Secret Sauce™” (no, I’m not inventing this one)."

The memory is allocated in the following way (MiB doesn’t stand for Men in Black but for Mebibyte, which is pretty much an equivalent of a Megabyte used in technical literature):

2 GB textures budget
128 MiB sound budget
700 MiB level geometry
600 MiB character textures
250 MiB global textures (FX, UI, light maps, etc..) -Even characters have lightmap data
700 MiB animation

We also learn that Environmental art is mapped at 512 pixels per unit and standard environment tiling textures are 1024×1024 pixels.

More (and very technical) information can be found directly on the slides of the panel, that can be downloaded here http://mynameismjp.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/rad_gdc_2014.pptx

The slides also includes some extremely interesting pictures, starting with an environment in four different lighting conditions:

TheOrder1886-GDC-4-670x376.jpg

TheOrder1886-GDC-3-670x376.jpg

TheOrder1886-GDC-2-670x376.jpg

TheOrder1886-GDC-1-670x376.jpg

I'm already sick of hearing about this game's tech. Just finish the game and make it play great. The recent "gameplay" showing didn't exactly inspire confidence. Don't turn into another Guerrilla Games, where it's all about tech, but the actual game part comes up short.

Mraggoth

Neo Member
Adding those numbers up it seems they're using approximately 4.3 gigabytes of the PS4's available memory pool. I guess they're not using all the available memory since it was in development before the ps4's official specs were established.

stryke

I'm already sick of hearing about this game's tech. Just finish the game and make it play great. The recent "gameplay" showing didn't exactly inspire confidence. Don't turn into another Guerrilla Games, where it's all about tech, but the actual game part comes up short.

What the fuck is your problem? This info comes from a dev session at GDC from a guy willing to share what they're doing with their tech, because you know, it's a talk dedicated to tech.

It's not Sony PR parading how next gen their game looks.

orochi91

I'm pretty sure you're aware of what GDC entails. Stop being daft.

What the fuck is your problem? This info comes from a dev session at GDC from a guy willing to share what they're doing with their tech, because you know, it's a talk dedicated to tech.

It's not Sony PR parading how next gen their game looks.

No need to get angry with me. I just want this game to be great, and it feels like every time I hear something about it they want to talk about the tech. That's a pattern that I've grown weary of.

Well someone is a bit salty.

It's their first game on a new engine, made by a relatively small team. Let's just chill it down a bit...

stryke

No need to get angry with me. I just want this game to be great, and it feels like every time I hear something about it they want to talk about the tech. That's a pattern that I've grown weary of.

Then go make a thread complaining about the lack of gameplay info if you care so much instead shitting up this thread with your whining.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It's GDC, son. We welcome all technical talks. If you don't like it, tough shit.

thuway

Whoa meltdown here.

stryke

Are there any other games known to be forward+?

Interesting comment:

"At one point or another our engine has gone through just about every version of deferred rendering that’s out there. We went from light prepass, to traditional deferred rendering with a fat G-Buffer, and then tiled deferred shading using a compute shader. In 2012 or so we ended up trying tiled forward rendering, after it got a lot of popularity due to AMD’s Forward+ demo. At the time we had around 5 or 6 G-Buffers in order to store all of the material parameters needed for shading our various BRDF’s, and switching to Forward allowed us to more easily experiment with our lighting models without having to constantly re-arrange our G-Buffer. It also has some performance-friendly characteristics on the PS4 GPU, especially when MSAA is used. And we love MSAA! We still haven’t come up with a real-time area light model that we’re happy with, so unfortunately we don’t have dynamic area lights yet."

Clott

Whoa meltdown here.

I actually relate to his rant, but this being a tech conference it definitely had its place. I think they will show more gameplay during E3. There is also the art of not showing everything and leaving things up to discovery.

The team is surely putting everything they have into it, the hardware is there so they just need to make it fun, and I don't doubt for a second that they want the same.

Facism

This is a graphics/tech thread.

Maybe if they showed some gameplay that gave confidence than worry.

Sadly, the worry came from a single button press as a part of a scripted fight sequence.

Even more sadly, Tomb Raider and TLOU, both GOTY 2013 nominees / winners, both had scripted fight sequences with some button commands lol.

I think people are overreacting on the whole damn thing. Majorly.

Awesome tech out of Ready at Dawn. Really awesome. I think E3 will see the unveiling of the destruction engine / physics engine of the game during live gameplay demonstrations. Cant freakin wait.

Sadly, the worry came from a single button press as a part of a scripted fight sequence.

Even more sadly, Tomb Raider and TLOU, both GOTY 2013 nominees / winners, both had scripted fight sequences with some button commands lol.

I think people are overreacting on the whole damn thing. Majorly.

Awesome tech out of Ready at Dawn. Really awesome. I think E3 will see the unveiling of the destruction engine / physics engine of the game during live gameplay demonstrations. Cant freakin wait.

There is no soft-body/destruction engine. They already said that wasn't happening. Not sure where people heard this...

There is no soft-body/destruction engine. They already said that wasn't happening. Not sure where people heard this...

No destruction engine? So that was just a rumour? I remember Amir0x being excited for it:

looks very evocative, but I want to see stuff like this in action. Some of the areas I've heard about sound insane and I bet they will look insane when they're unveiled (especially when they do it and showcase the destruction engine), but they are definitely making us fight for scraps right now :p

Destruction like this:

image_the_order_1886-lgkx6.jpg

that takes into account the type of material being destroyed and the physics behind it

man that does look swell. doesn't look like they're showing off the integral destruction mechanics yet though, so I hope we get some of that in the previews or I'll be a little disappointed

Top Bottom