• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #266 cover: Can MS turn things around for XONE?

mocoworm

Can Microsoft turn things around for Xbox One? We speak to the execs in charge to find out

E266.jpg

http://www.edge-online.com/news/can-microsoft-turn-things-around-for-xbox-one-we-speak-to-phil-spencer-phil-harrison-and-more-to-find-out/

EDGE said:
We talk to leaders at Microsoft to discover how the company intends to turn its console division around in the new issue of Edge magazine, published on Thursday April 10. You can subscribe now in print, on iPad, Google Play and Zinio.

There’s insight from top Microsoft executives Phil Spencer and Phil Harrison plus former Microsoft employee Peter Molyneux and key partner Tim Sweeney, founder of Epic Games, as we find out how the platform holder plans to put Xbox back in the number one spot after a troubled launch.

One thing that’d help, of course, is launching Xbox One in more than just 13 territories. “I’ll just say it: I wish we were in every country on day one,” Microsoft Studios corporate vice president Phil Spencer tells us. “Accelerating our country rollout is really, really important to us. We built a box that natively understands the country it’s in – the language and television and other things – [so] let’s make sure we do a complete job in bringing the console into those markets. When we do, I think it will have an impact, but I want to do it in the right way. I don’t want to get there early if the box isn’t ready for the market it’s being launched in.

The new man in charge at Xbox touches on a wide range of topics within our new issue’s cover feature, not least the continued presence of Kinect within its console offering. To justify its presence, there are more Kinect games coming – “There are a number of games on the ID@Xbox programme that use Kinect, and you’ll see more games in the fall,” he tells us – and Microsoft still doesn’t feel the need to remove it from the Xbox One package just yet, though it would reduce its price.

“We’re always trying to match what consumers are asking for,” he says. “I always want to make sure that we’re in tune with what current or potential customers are asking for from us. Right now, [dropping Kinect is] not the number one request from people. Usually it’s, ‘Where are the great games?’”

One prominent Xbox One owner and former Microsoft employee sees Kinect rather differently, however. “I actually wish Kinect wasn’t a requirement,” 22cans’ Peter Molyneux tells us. “It feels like an unnecessary add-on to me. Maybe it’s because we’re in England, and it doesn’t really use the TV stuff, but it feels more and more like a joke. My son and I sit there saying random things at it, and it doesn’t work. They could cost-reduce it [by removing Kinect]. I’m sure they’re going to release an Xbox One without Kinect. It would be unthinkable that they wouldn’t.”

Elsewhere, Spencer also promises new Xbox One exclusives, suggesting that E3 2014 will be “great… a real moment for us in this generation.”

“I run first party studios, so I’m all about exclusives,” he says. “When we talk to people, that exclusive content is the number one reason that gamers buy a given console.”

He is also keen to stress that Microsoft is doing the best is can to ensure that Xbox One’s performance continues to improve in order to match the power of its rival PS4. “The resolution and fidelity of things that people will be playing on Xbox One will be top notch,” he tells us. “You ship with a certain idea about what the profile of a game running on your box will look like, but you learn in terms of what people are really doing, and how you can make it most effective for developers.”

Spencer also shrugs off the continued rumours that suggest Microsoft could sell off its Xbox division. “Xbox is maybe the most relevant brand that Microsoft has with consumers today,” he tells us. “We’re going to maintain our consumer focus. We’re spending a ton of money, bringing in Nokia [with] 30,000 people joining the company to go build consumer phones. Consumer is part of what this company is. You think about the Xbox brand and all the equity around it, people lining up at midnight outside of Game to go get the console – how many Microsoft products have that? It’s an asset that’s extremely valuable, and since our future ambition is to grow our consumer relevance, Xbox has to be at the centre of that.”

There’s a great deal more insight and analysis of Xbox One’s plight in the new issue of Edge magazine, which is available on Thursday April 10 in print, on iPad, Google Play and Zinio.”

samar11

Off course they can and they will, but they will always be behind PS4. There is nothing they can do to change that,PS is a stronger brand unfortunately.

I see no issue... er problem.

Is there a database of covers to show what was printed during the PS3 launch? If they painted that all rosy, then Edge is the one needing help.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I would guess the article ultimately rounds off on an optimistic/hopeful note.

Reminds me of their 'Operation Xbox' cover feature back in the PS2 days.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Xbox One is not doing THAT bad! All things considered. by itself, it's not doing bad.

Is this for real!?

yeah official price drop is coming in June for E3
jeez at that cover tho.

yeah Xbox one probably passed Wii u already so I don't see the need for the cover.

where's the help cover for Wii u and vita? my poor systems taking L's

m@cross

Pretty funny cover, though I think it is a bit early to say XB1 is a failure.. maybe it failed at maintaining its market, but it can get that back.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
"We deliberately didn't target high end graphics".

Yeah. How is that working out for you MS?

It seems like hyperbole...but then again isn't it only doing well here in the states? Plus, they are selling TF Bundles with Gold for $450. Cover is still a bit much though.

Molyneux said something sensible for once!

Right now, [dropping Kinect is] not the number one request from people. Usually it’s, ‘Where are the great games?’”

Should have had a hashtag campaign.

Kinyou

I see no issue... er problem.

Is there a database of covers to show what was printed during the PS3 launch? If they painted that all rosy, then Edge is the one needing help.
The have a database on their site. Just google edge cover + year

They had this one in 2007.

Hard to say if it's meant to be positive or negative

edit: already beaten

The Xbox One is not doing THAT bad! All things considered. by itself, it's not doing bad.

Is this for real!?

Edge is an EU magazine. It's getting annihilated in the EU right now, including the UK which WAS a strong market for the 360.

StuBurns

Banned
I like that they used an actual image of the controller instead of just the buttons.

EDGE have been a joke for years though.

kuppy

What is it with the negativity around the Xbox One, the console is selling very well, just not as well as the PS4.
Yes, the competition to Sony is import and we may see a trend right now that could keep on going, but that doesn't mean that Microsoft will have to dump the Xbox One, no, quite the reverse, it is completely fine if you just look at the console without comparing it to another product
which has the best selling console launch to date
. And if Microsoft can deliver their promised amount of games (15 exclusives) within the first year you may as well ask how Sony can get back on track software-wise.

Edge writes so many wonderful features, but when it comes to their major for the next print they can't keep it together.

Ape

Banned
The have a database on their site. Just google edge cover + year

They had this one in 2007.

Hard to say if it's meant to be positive or negative

edit: already beaten

Are you serious? That one is my favorite one.

Top Bottom