• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 4 - Your Vision

Let's say Rockstar put you in charge of Max Payne 4 for the PC and current gen consoles. How do you make this game? What story elements do you include? Gameplay elements? Locales? Max's personality? Narrative devices? Gunplay? Music? What do you keep from Max Payne 3? What do you throw away? From the first two?

Here's how I'd set it up: Insane cross-country noir road trip. Start in LA. Finish in NYC. Hit all the stops in the way. Start with Max as a low-rent PI in LA after the events of the third game. Unlike the first three games however, he's actually doing alright. Kicked the booze completely. However, he gets wrapped up in one final insane case.

There's a bounty put on his head by some mysterious figure and Max has to unravel the mystery all while protecting some witness or something. They have to escape LA and head to New York where the answers are. We'll figure out a reason why they can't just fly (lol). Perhaps the LAPD are corrupt and he's put on the no-fly list. A group of dirty cops would be the first set of enemies that come after Max, driving him out of the city.

LAPDSWAT.jpg

Anyway, each locale would have totally unique enemy groups all chasing after the bounty on Max's head. I would not want any location to feel the same. So, for example, I'd have some insane race car driver type chasing after Max in the Nevada desert at night (think Drive).

I have a few different locale ideas in mind with the various bizarre enemies that come after Max, a lot influenced from television and films. Maybe crazy cartel in the Southwest

Racist cowboy stereotypes in Texas. Meth head Bikers in Kansas. Basically every asshole in the country wants to kill Max. There's more stuff, but I kinda dig that as the setup.

In terms of gameplay, rather than just throw waves and waves of enemies after Max, I'd have fewer enemies that are just smarter and tougher and require you to be faster to deal with them. I'd take Euphoria and like, MAX that shit out to make it realistic as possible. The game has to be fast, but still have some weight and heft to it. I'd keep the Max Payne 3 style of carrying the guns and stealing weapons off of dead folks, and I'd make the environment in most areas pretty destructable to make it look like your actions have a lot of effect in the environment. I also want the player to take advantage of the environment as much as possible. Kinda like having the feel of doing insanely random things in GTA, but transferred over to a linear third person shooter.

I'd drop some of the Rockstar preachiness about America. Not there is anything wrong with it, but it's a specific Houser style that I wouldn't want to try. I would see if I could hew back to a Remedy style of plot and humour, but I don't want it to sound like a ripoff of them either. I'd like to try to blend the best of both writing styles. I liked Max Payne 3's storyline, but I don't think I want another Houser-written one. One's good enough, but two would wear out the welcome. I'd write the script (of course).

Also, skippable cutscenes. Return of McCaffrey. I wouldn't mind HEALTH returning to do the soundtrack, but it would need a completely different vibe, so I think I'd go with somebody else. The pacing would need to be pitch perfect, guaranteeing that when you go through the story the first time, you never feel like everything is rote or repetitive. Also want some replayability in there. I think Rockstar adding in those other modes afterwards is a good way of doing it. I also would bring back the insanely nightmarish dreams from Max Payne 1 and 2. I missed those in MP3. Probably take some inspiration from Hannibal in some fashion.

My use of colour pallete for the game would probably be inspired by Hannibal and David Fincher.

Anyway, what's your vision? How would you make and design Max Payne 3?

Silky

Banned
Anyway, what's your vision? How would you make and design Max Payne 3?

keeping Dan Houser away from the script as far as possible.

Rockstar has the gameplay of the classic emulated as crisp and perfect as they can in MP3. That, I can commend them for

Jokes at your typo aside, I don't think Max needs another sequel. I believe his story is done. At the same time, there's a lot to be explored for Mona Sax who just went...AWOL in MP2

Silky

Banned
How about instead we get a spiritual successor of Max Payne made by Rockstar

but it's called The Punisher, based on the comics

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Keep and refine the Max Payne 3 gunplay. Do whatever you darn well please with the rest.

Andrew.

Banned
Old Max coming back to train a wisecracking smartass rookie cop voiced by Nolan North. Like a Lethal Weapon of sorts.

Payne and Drake personas bouncing off one another. This is my dream.

atr0cious

The Max Relax Simulator

Max chills on the beach, but he really likes to lay in the sand after the tide has receded; it's really nice and cool on a hot day, and mud between his toes makes him giggle. So Max lays out on the beach, and every 30 minutes you can tilt your phone to make Max roll away from the tide. But the tide changes every 2 minutes, so you have to pay $50 for 20 rolls or you lose the game. Made with Frostbite.

I think Max Payne as a series is done. Max Payne 3's ending suggested that he was going into the sunset (somewhat literally).

I liked MP3, don't get me wrong, but I don't see where they could take the series from there. That said, I'll echo suggestions to have Health's Tears included in a sequel if they find some way to do it.

legbone

flashback to max in the 80's in miami. he's working undercover trying to catch cocaine smugglers with his speed boat, ferrari, and faithful alligator elvis. he teams up with a new york cop whose brother was killed by one of the biggest and most ruthless drug kingpins ever. it tells the story of you and your partner trying to bring this guy calderone down through investigation work until you eventually have enough info and balls to go after him. balls would actually be a meter you have to fill.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Even though they left that Italian mob boss alive for potential revenge if they ever wanted to do a sequel I don't think there's any need.

However if they do make a sequel and I don't even care WHERE they take Max but if Mccaffrey doesn't return for likeness and voice acting of Max then there's no sale.

Draft

Max Payne the character is tapped out. Max Payne gameplay can still be entertaining. Max Payne storytelling can still be entertaining. New character, new setting, still bullet time dodging through noir set pieces. I like the idea of doing things in the South. The noir of today. .

• Continue with the gameplay approach Rockstar started with actual shootouts rather than frequently coming across two or three static enemies like in 1&2
  • allow for constant player movement (sliding, rolling while prone, better vaulting/running over scenery) in addition to constant player aiming
  • bring in Sam Lake so that he can writer the dialogue but let Houser create the overall plot because Lake would likely have a rote/safe setup and Houser would have weak dialogue
  • avoid using mid game cutscenes unless they're setting up a particularly cool bullet time moment
  • a more serviceable (but not more fleshed out) cover system
  • human shields/shootdodge-into-humanshield-into-prone-into-whatever
  • better shotgun sprea/ area of effect
  • co-op

sn00zer

Keep the MP3 gameplay...absolutely best TPS mechanics last gen....and graphics....incredible design...I guess fix the story is all

Outsource the story and game direction to Sam Lake (or at least consult with him heavily). Rockstar did a fine job with the gameplay on 3, Houser just wasn't able to write a good Max Payne story.

Old Max coming back to train a wisecracking smartass rookie cop voiced by Nolan North. Like a Lethal Weapon of sorts.

Payne and Drake personas bouncing off one another. This is my dream.

I like this idea. Rockstar could probably do a hilarious buddy comedy cop game with MP style gunplay.

OH MY GOD, THEY SHOULD

Andrew.

Banned
I like this idea. Rockstar could probably do a hilarious buddy comedy cop game with MP style gunplay.

OH MY GOD, THEY SHOULD

Man, you and I have been behind this idea since MP3 released =P Someone needs to make this pronto.

Stick a female in there too. Have Laura Bailey or someone do the part. Make her badass like Rene Russo in LW3.

DirtyLarry

Would be pretty damn easy...
The gritty story and vibe of 1 and 2 +
Bring back the graphic novel like presentation +
The GamePlay mechanics of 3 =
A great Max Payne game.

With that said, I did not mind Max Payne 3 at all. Sure it was nowhere near the classic level of both 1 and 2, but I feel even a not so great Max Payne game is better than most other games out there when all is said and done.

I just love the series overall. I still remember being glued to my monitor screen when playing 1 with nearly no breaks straight through. It is one of the fondest gaming memories I have actually, so perhaps sentimentality clouds my judgement some, but I pretty much think Max Payne as a video game series is fantastic stuff.

EDIT - I also think it needs to take place in New York and the surrounding Tri State area. Some great opportunities and environments for mob related themes in video games to happen in New Jersey, Staten Island, and Long Island.

I don't give a damn what they do as long as they keep that glorious gunplay and remove all those useless cutscenes (OMG Max opened..... A DOOR, and then he........WALKED IN)

Jessica Snow, the illegitimate child of Max and Mona that was left an orphanage and adopted by a powerful mob boss to be his personal bodyguard/contract killer. She tries to find out what happened to her parents while indulging in Agent 47 style mission but with a lot more shooting. Set the game in Paris, the birthplace of Noir and give it to Remedy. Return to live-action comic book style cut-scenes. Tara Strong can voice

Jerrod

Before MP3 was revealed I always hoped they would go out of the country, but I was expecting something gloomier like London.

Story wise, everybody from MP1 and 2 are dead, so the only person Max knows is Passos, so they should explore that. Max mentions not remember Passos and that Passos seemed disconnected with their job sometimes, so maybe he was playing Max for himself or somebody put him up to it? Him being a shady figure in 4 would be neat.

I really love Max Payne 1&2 and thought 3 was totally alright but I think the last thing I want is another Max Payne game. Put those resources on a new IP.

DocSeuss

keeping Dan Houser away from the script as far as possible.

Rockstar has the gameplay of the classic emulated as crisp and perfect as they can in MP3. That, I can commend them for

Jokes at your typo aside, I don't think Max needs another sequel. I believe his story is done. At the same time, there's a lot to be explored for Mona Sax who just went...AWOL in MP2

I'm not sure I agree with you about the gameplay. In New Jersey's levels, absolutely. That was pure Max. Simply having a cover system hurt the game. A lot of the maps had rooms too small to do much jumping around in, a sighting system that could end up with bullets hitting geometry, and stuff like that. Last Stand was okay... but no, contrasted with Max Payne 2, Max Payne 3's gameplay had some big problems and a core failure at understanding bullet time.

What it did best was audiovisual feedback. The gameplay itself sucked. It's not as responsive as the first games, for instance. The AI isn't particularly good for a third-person shooter. Most of the maps lack the openness that benefits shoot-dodging. They're too cramped, too tight. The way it looked was next level. It's kinda like FEAR in that regard, except that FEAR has both top-notch feedback and gameplay.

I'd like to see more inspiration taken from this. Kung Fu Mod is awesome.

But seriously, kill Houser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCj-I4LoqtQ

I really liked the gameplay of Max Payne 3 but the story of Max ended with Max Payne 2

Pretty much. I'd rather have a spiritual successor.

I'd also like my script to be TRIPPIER than Max Payne 3 was. That stuff was too grounded. It sucked. Needs waaay more pink flamingos and captain baseball bat boy. All the important stuff. Max Payne 1 and 2 are very much psychological noir tales, somewhere between John Woo, David Lynch, and Dashiel Hammett. Max Payne 3's is straight-up a Tony Scott movie.

Andrew.

Banned
I'd LOVE a Max Payne 3 Remastered.

1080P
Skippable cutscenes
Director/writer commentary
All MP content
60FPS(?)
A couple new weapons thrown in for shits and giggles (grenades!)

I'm with the skippable cutscenes guys.
I played through the damn game three times. I've seen enough Rockstar, thank you.

Also I want the dark city style to return. I didn't have much problems with the Brazilian levels but honestly that's what Max Payne means to me - a cop shooting his way through a dark snowy city in the name of revenge.

Also Max is all out of revenge. Honestly a new game would probably tarnish the legacy unless Sam Lake thinks of something great. Rockstar could never continue it in a way I'd like.

More of the day to day trials of Max Payne.
Incredible

They ran out of usable story after the first two games. I didn't give a shit about organ harvesting or whatever. The story really suffered when Max didn't have a personal stake in things. I love the series, but I'm fine with letting the franchise rest indefinitely. If a writer can come up with a story that fits with the tone of the first two game, then by all means.

Top Bottom