• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Game Delayed Indefinitely for Xbox One [Up: Released]

Foffy

Banned
MrK2PXY.gif

Yesssssssssssssssss. Living for this.

I'm more concerned with the quality of the game. I want this to be good. It's been too long since the last great Spiderman game.

Eusis

i really don't understand the hype of this game
i hated all spiderman games , should i skip this too ?
Hype? I think people are just seeing a juicy story. Hell, the only other reason I paid attention was Activision dumping their Marvel games yet still developing/publishing this one.
Neither would be the Xbox One edition of this tie-in. :)

Is people really rushing to conclusions like "Xbox One is is trouble" due to this?
It IS possible a better performing console would've seen Activision willing to take extremes for the sake of better sales.

Though honestly with that logic they'd probably just as eagerly shitcan the PS4 and Wii U versions due to a last minute issue hitting them, so I wouldn't take it by itself as indicative of XB1 troubles. They're new systems, likely with a more hardcore and possibly selective audience, the meat of sales was always going to be on PS3/360.

Solidone

Neo Member

If you "hate" the previous ones, you'll probably hate this one as well.

I love the free roaming spider man games so this is right up my alley, I might even enjoy this more than infamous, was kinda bored with infamous.

Castef

Banned
It IS possible a better performing console would've seen Activision willing to take extremes for the sake of better sales.

You serious?

I mean, that could REALLY be the reason, according to you? Or is this just some kind of provocation?

Proponent

Banned

If you didn't like them then sure.

I personally loved the Spiderman 2 game.
And this game looks like it'll be some fun swinging around New York again.

The game doesn't look too bad to me at all to be honest. Imho at worst I see an awesome Friday night rental, with beer. Donning the Spidey tights and getting some swinging action in. Goodtimes.

And maybe It could hold collectibility potential, as a 20$ budget buy?
Maybe it could end up as a suprise and be a solid 40$ purchase. Either way, this isn't good XBO news to me.

It's not a game I would get and most movie tie in games are quite poor.

However as an Xbox one owner it does seem a bit unsettling. I hope there is a reasonable excuse for this, And doesn't start a trend of "too difficult to programme for let's skip it"

Eusis

You serious?

I mean, that could REALLY be the reason, according to you? Or is this just some kind of provocation?
This isn't a "PS4 sold better so it's OK to delay for that" statement, it's a "PS3 and 360 have huge install bases so it's OK to delay for them" statement. I kind of went straight to that with the next paragraph really, for a cheap cash-in getting huge revenue from a large base would matter more than hitting the barely started next-generation at all.

nampad

PS4-to-Vita Remote Play says WAZZAP!

The Vita actually has a native version of Amazong Spiderman 1 which Activision just ported some weeks ago.
Will never understand why they ported the first game so late just to not release the second in time, lol.

IHaveIce

Banned
Really weird, of course it isn't out of reasons like " Sony wants to play a number on MS"

Maybe they found a system breaking bug on the ONE way too late? And bo Certification said "fuck of we don't want that" ?

Who knows. But fact is, the game looks like crap.

Really weird, of course it isn't out of reasons like " Sony wants to play a number on MS"

Maybe they found a system breaking bug on the ONE way too late? And bo Certification said "fuck of we don't want that" ?

Who knows. But fact is, the game looks like crap.
First game looked and was great on PS3, no reason to think the sequel looks like crap on PS4 since it at least has a better resolution and framerate. That walkthrough video also really wasn't as bad as some of the usual naysayers on GAF says.

spekkeh

Banned

You serious?

Personally I consider it a possibility. I don't think it's the case here, seeing as, as far as we know, the game was already pretty much finished. Canning it then would just be throwing away money (presuming it didn't require much more QA and patching). However, Xbone so far has a smaller installbase than the Wii U, and, Titanfall peak notwithstanding, there were indications that it was starting to trend similarly to the Wii U too, meaning it wouldn't overtake the Wii U (at least by much) in the near future. Certainly not before the sales of the current games would have trailed off. If Xbone games are not expected to do much better than Wii U games, then canning the development of one would logically mean canning the other.

Jonty

I'd probably guess it's more due to a crippling bug in the Xbone version than anything more conspiratorial. You have to wonder whether it's even worth them releasing the game in six or eight weeks once the hype from the film has all passed.

I endorse this theory. The game will be dreadful, it'll only sell off the back of the film marketing, and if the XB1 version isn't there to catch that there's no point releasing it. If it comes out even two weeks later it'd go straight to the discount section.

Wii U might have a miniscule install base but it is at least a known development platform. Given that even proper long-lead properly-resourced titles had trouble getting up to speed on Xbox One (resolutiongate etc etc) it seems to reasonable to assume a rush-job last-minute licence-approval-hell title like this would struggle.

cacildo

Lol xbone haz no third partiez

(and, once again, like everytime someone says WiiU haz no third party, we must ask: Do someone needs 3rd parties today?

We are not in 2002 anymore. Konami and Capcom are almost dead. 90% of the games you all are waiting for are first party exclusives from each console.

And this Spiderman game.... really, it will be released and forgotten in less than 18 hours)

dreamfall

This is pretty strange, to be completely honest.

The game didn't look technically that amazing from the PS4 footage, and Beenox's past titles were solid if a bit lacking. I did play the first Amazing Spiderman game on the 360, but the multiplatform gap seems to be of some issue.

I want to see how this turns out, but I also do want to know what's going on!

and, once again, like everytime someone says WiiU haz no third party, we must ask: Do someone needs 3rd parties today?

Obviously not, third party offerings are over rated. It's why the Wii U is selling like no console before it based off all those exclusive Nintendo games.

I think we're onto something.

jim2011

Not enough resources probably to work on all versions. You can bet the wii u version is mostly a straight port of 360/ps3. Maybe they didn't have enough time to port their ps4 code to xb1. It's no secret that was their lead platform for nextgen. Movie Licensed games are almost always rushed.

JP

Not sure it's going to be much of a loss for Xbox 1 owners but it's more than a little strange that a publisher like Activison is doing this. I wonder if some games just aren't selling well enough to make money on the Xbox 1?

Theecliff

Banned

(and, once again, like everytime someone says WiiU haz no third party, we must ask: Do someone needs 3rd parties today?

We are not in 2002 anymore. Konami and Capcom are almost dead. 90% of the games you all are waiting for are first party exclusives from each console.

And this Spiderman game.... really, it will be released and forgotten in less than 18 hours)
...What? You do understand why the WiiU is selling like shit and the PS4 and XBO are both selling much better, right? Despite the vocal disbelief from many people on this forum who can't possibly understand why someone would want to by a console with so little exclusives, multiplatform games like COD, FIFA and AC are big reasons as to why so many people bought these new consoles at launch.

So, uh, yeah, people want third party games. They matter. Whilst this game might not be (I'm kinda interested to see how it turns out at least), many of the biggest and most hyped games of the year are multiplatform games. And without them it's amongst the reasons why the WiiU is half dead in the water at this point.

and the WiiU is doing great! What about Fifa, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Minecraft? No need for third parties ... sheesh.

Proponent

Banned
First game looked and was great on PS3, no reason to think the sequel looks like crap on PS4 since it at least has a better resolution and framerate. That walkthrough video also really wasn't as bad as some of the usual naysayers on GAF says.

This.

And anyone trying to downplay the announcement are kidding themselves, fooling themselves.

There is a huge market for comic book fans, spidey fans, regardless of movie licenced tie-ins. And the Spiderman franchise still carries and holds weight, dating back to Spiderman 2 !

There's going to be interest in this game from all sorts of people. And the fact that the XBO isn't getting a copy, is a big deal.

This game looks good to me, and if I exclusively only owned the XBO, I'd personally be very pissed.
Thankfully I bought a PS4.

bryehn

Not enough resources probably to work on all versions. You can bet the wii u version is mostly a straight port of 360/ps3. Maybe they didn't have enough time to port their ps4 code to xb1. It's no secret that was their lead platform for nextgen. Movie Licensed games are almost always rushed.

This idea is far too logical to be in this shitty thread.

I think this is less interesting that it appears.

My guess is the 360, ps3, pc, and WiiU all share the same assets and are relatively cheap to finish and push out.

The ps4 and X1 are both something new and maybe it was decided a profit couldn't be made with the X1.

Chairhome

A little disappointed as my son and I have been playing Amazing Spider-man on PC in preparation for the movie, and I thought the XBO version of AMS2 would likely run smoother than my PC. Thinking if I should get it for PC (which I can pre-order for about $20), or wait to get this on PS4 when I eventually get one this year.

Lucifon

I think this is less interesting that it appears.

My guess is the 360, ps3, pc, and WiiU all share the same assets and are relatively cheap to finish and push out.

The ps4 and X1 are both something new and maybe it was decided a profit couldn't be made with the X1.

I'm pretty sure it's even less interesting than that. There's absolutely no way they decided a profit couldn't be made, that thing has been in development, and of course a profit can be made on the Xbone version. The current-gen versions are practically bumped up last gen versions, not the other way round. It probably just failed cert so is pushed back indefinitely til they fix whatever was busted and get it re-certified.

This idea is far too logical to be in this shitty thread.

They made time for the dead-as-a-doornail-for-third-parties WiiU, but didn't bother making any time for xbone? Or to bother even porting the x86 PC code?

And you say that's the most logical explanation?

Top Bottom