• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunrises/Sunset/Awesome light effects in games.

Silky

Banned
Here are some shitty, compressed, unedited screens of Just Cause 2 that I took of when the sun rises in the game.

0HJJykZ.jpg

xzwBnva.jpg

qmAyqrr.jpg

MQJo30s.jpg

I usually don't care for the lighting of an open world game, but Just Cause 2's lighting is top notch. Every sunrise/sunset, light spot or whatever you call specific lighting gives the look of the game a distinct 'pop' of color that gives it a very vibrant appearance--something you don't see a lot of in open world titles.

Share your favorite sunrises or something.

hawk2025

Kind of a freebie since everyone is posting pictures of it these days, but my first thought was Infamous Second Son:

big_thumb_de37e4685731de265f7f5c0f74dfa53d.jpg

mcfrank

I typically find this annoying in games when I am playing as it usually makes your character too damn dark to see what is happening right in front of you. Great for screenshots, bad for gameplay IMO.

vypek

Original and first post were the only two games I thought of right away and seeing the screens in the original post make me want to mess around in Just Cause 2 again. In fact, I think I will go do that now.

250px-001b.jpg

The Adrian and the Fortress, from Soulcalibur. Gorgeous stage when you fight on it, because the lighting effects silhouette the characters

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
The sunsets and sunrises in Just Cause 2 were awesome. Far Cry 2 had some pretty amazing looking ones as well.

(Obligatory) Journey gif
ikg39hgma6wze7hjd2.gif

Fou-Lu

There's a part from Dragon's Dogma I'd like to post but since it's kind of the end of the game it's super spoilery...

ss_lemonade

I was just playing Project CARS a few minutes ago. 240x time progression plus some clouds here and there = amazing! Hope someone could post a video of it

There's this one water level in either Super Mario Galaxy or 2 where when you get to the end, there's this garden-like area where there is a chest with the star in it, with the sunset overlooking the whole area. I thought it looked amazing.

Also, Twilight Princess tends to have great sunsets and sunrises, especially if you go to the part of Hyrule field behind the castle with the waterfall that goes down into the lake. The sun sets right over it and it was absolutely stunning, especially seeing the light glimmering off the water. Really, that goes for all of Lake Hylia.

Sorry, no pics of either though :( If someone want to search some out that would be great.

SJRB

Gold Member
GTAV, made a fuckton of pictures. Some of my favorites:

Gr5n3y1.jpg

XvZLc0z.jpg

LfoEXFS.jpg

Pn1nssZ.jpg

The last one is an early morning shot. I love that one because of how freakishly realistic the lighting is. GTAV\s lighting engine is one of a kind, truly incredible.

Tawpgun

RDR is a diamond mine for amazing environmental lighting.

539.png

21d34f2b83c8bfd640f32c70627d2a9d.jpg

Was gonna post this or GTAV

When me and my friends would play Red Dead Free roam we would try to make it to some kind of high point and watch the sun set. Like literally stop killing each other and just enjoy that lighting. No other game has wowed me as far as their environment goes like that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
No Majula in Dark Souls 2 yet?

Two of my favorites, Flower and Super Mario Galaxy 2:
flower-game-screenshot-6.jpg

galaxybig_3515.jpg

The best part is that they both come as a surprise at the end of their respective levels.

RoKKeR

Was gonna post this or GTAV

When me and my friends would play Red Dead Free roam we would try to make it to some kind of high point and watch the sun set. Like literally stop killing each other and just enjoy that lighting. No other game has wowed me as far as their environment goes like that.

My friends and I would do the same thing. God damn, Red Dead...fucking fantastic game. Online free roam was great, the whole thing was just sublime.

Top Bottom