• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo to host "Smash Bros. Invitational" at E3

BmZIor2CUAE0-AA.png

Announced this morning via a Mega64 video detailing the big N's E3 plans.

Super Smash Bros. Invitational
2014 will see the arrival of not one, but two new Super Smash Bros. games: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. To commemorate this occasion, Nintendo is inviting 16 highly skilled Super Smash Bros. players to the NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles to compete in a Super Smash Bros. for Wii U tournament. Thousands of fans in the audience and countless more watching a live stream online will see new Super Smash Bros. characters clash with existing favorites in action for the first time. More important than declaring a winner, however, this event is a celebration of all things Super Smash Bros., and a great way for new and veteran fans to take part in a tribute to this legendary franchise. More information about the 16 invited participants in the tournament, the identity of the announcers, and how fans of the franchise can view the tournament in person and via webcast, will be communicated shortly.

BmZI2pzCQAEqx6h.png:large

Nintendo also announced a Best Buy "Smash Fest" that will allow the public to play SSB for Wii U at participating locations during the week of E3, much like they did for Wii U games last year.

Super Smash Bros. Smash Fest @ Best Buy
In 2013, Nintendo broke new ground by expanding its E3 activities outside of the walls of the Los Angeles Convention Center and letting fans play some of the games being played on the show floor at participating Best Buy stores. The partnership between Nintendo and Best Buy continues in 2014 and will mark the first time around the world that fans have had the opportunity to get their hands on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

More details about each event, including dates, times, locations and game content will be revealed shortly. To follow all of Nintendo's E3 activities, keep an eye on Nintendo's Facebook page, Twitter feed and YouTube channel. Or visit http://e3.nintendo.com.

Full Press Release

Smash like a bro if old.

Kimosabae

Banned
This may be the best news I've heard related to this game so far. No, scratch that - it is the best news related to this game so far. Implications of this are far reaching. I eagerly anticipate E3.

Zeeman

Now we will finally know the answer to the question of whether any of them can play Smash without a Gamecube controller

entremet

Do we know what Control methods Smash supports? I'm guessing Gamepad and Wii U CC?

But only one Gamepad obviously.

Wii U version? That is great news! I figured with the 3DS version much closer to release we'd only see a few kiosks of the 3DS version up. Much cooler to play on a big screen TV in a big social setting.

Last time Best Buy had nearly 400 people in line. And that was for Marios and Wind Waker. (Like 3 played Kong)

For Smash it'll easily be 500.

I wonder if they'll actually invite some of the melee crowd like M2K, Mango, Armada, etc. There wouldn't be anyone better to give first impressions on how good the gameplay is.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I can imagine that they would invite all skilled players from video games journalism. That would be terrible but hilarious at same time.

It really is crazy that they said nothing about the 3DS version. Of course, the Wii U version has to be the more competitive just by its nature, so it makes sense that the tourney would use that, but not even having it at Best Buy? Makes me wonder if maaaaybe it'll already be out by then... ;)

Zalman

It really is crazy that they said nothing about the 3DS version. Of course, the Wii U version has to be the more competitive just by its nature, but not even having it at Best Buy? Makes me wonder if maaaaybe it'll already be out by then... ;)
I imagine both versions will be playable at Best Buy.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It really is crazy that they said nothing about the 3DS version. Of course, the Wii U version has to be the more competitive just by its nature, so it makes sense that the tourney would use that, but not even having it at Best Buy? Makes me wonder if maaaaybe it'll already be out by then... ;)

ho7Kg38.jpg

I doubt that. I think they really want to push Wii U pretty hard. Wii U is more likely to be competitive since I kept hearing people preferring Wii U over 3DS for tournament scenes which isn't surprising tho.

Kinsei

Banned
How early do you think we'll have to line up at Best Buy in order to get a shot at playing? The lines last year were crazy, and this is Smash.

They want Wii U to be the version people are drooling over because it's the only chance it has to succeed.

Hylian7

Nintendo actually cares about competitive Smash Bros... I am impressed.

The closest thing I can think of that was like this was Dota 2 being revealed by The International. If this is anything like that, then it is going to be great for both Nintendo and the competitive scene.

I wonder how much this will be like Gamestop's Brawl tourneys. Nobody had played Brawl much at all, so everyone was just trying Melee characters to little avail, from what I remember. It'd be awesome if they let the players spend a day or two with the game before the competition.

wildfire

Banned
LOL I wonder how many people in this thread bothered to watch the youtube vid. There was hints at more than Smash in there. For example if you can't get to E3 you can play Smash and who knows what else at Best Beuy during E3 week nationwide.

This was a shrude announcement by Nintendo. Hilarious to collaborate with Mega64 after VGX.

udivision

I wonder how much this will be like Gamestop's Brawl tourneys. Nobody had played Brawl much at all, so everyone was just trying Melee characters to little avail, from what I remember. It'd be awesome if they let the players spend a day or two with the game before the competition.

At least in this case, the game is a lot more similar to it's prequel.

OmegaFax

Last time Best Buy had nearly 400 people in line. And that was for Marios and Wind Waker. (Like 3 played Kong)

For Smash it'll easily be 500.

I'm surprised they're doing this again. Didn't go because there were no Best Buy stores in my area hosting it (GA only had two total and only one in Atlanta).

+

Half of the games they demo'd last June didn't even ship for the holidays and Mario Kart 8 is only getting released at the end of this month.

Lunar15

I'm assuming this means we'll have all characters announced by then?

I guess it doesn't necessarily mean that, they could keep some characters hidden and restrict the tournament to only the ones they've shown off at that point.

I guess it doesn't necessarily mean that, they could keep some characters hidden and restrict the tournament to only the ones they've shown off at that point.

Yeah, I mean look at the MK8 demo they let people play last year. We hardly knew anything about it compared to what we know now. They can still hold plenty of stuff back, and I expect they will.

Gardex

I just hope they won't be only playing on Final destination...
Competitive players traditionally avoid Final Destination because it scews up some matchups. Smashville and Battlefield are more popular picks(and both are also in Smash 4)

Lunar15

Also, hopefully this event is a little eye opening in that competitive smash players don't just play on FD. Platforms are OK too, Sakurai!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I'm pretty sure that they would locked those characters until they are formally announced.

True, but that was a demo, not a tournament.

I'm pretty sure that someone did used demo for a tournament. I would like to say that it's Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 or Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 but I can't really remember which one.

Top Bottom