• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge: Blu-ray is dying faster than expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

Sony's Blu-ray bet returns a 'bag of hurt'

Sony is warning shareholders to expect poor financial results for its fiscal year ending March 31, 2014. The electronics giant previously expected to pull in an operating income of 80 billion yen ($782 million) over the financial year, but is today adjusting that figure down to just 26 billion yen ($254 million).

The sharp reduction — the new operating income estimates are 68 percent down from a February forecast — can be attributed to a pair of somewhat unexpected events. Roughly 30 billion yen ($293 million) of the drop is due to "additional expenses" from Sony's exit from the PC business. The company announced it's to sell its PC division to a Japanese investment fund earlier this year.

The second charge to due to what Sony calls "demand for physical media contracting faster than anticipated," especially in Europe. Because of this, Sony says it does not believe the business will generate "sufficient cash flow in the future to recover the carrying amount of long-lived assets." It anticipates an impairment charge on those assets, and a second charge on the overall value of its disc manufacturing business, which will amount to 25 billion yen ($245 million).

Blu-ray was officially introduced in 2006, backed by Sony and other manufacturers, and briefly battled against competing "next-generation" format HD-DVD. Buoyed by widespread adoption thanks to integration with the PlayStation 3, the popularity of Sony's format of choice saw HD-DVDs die without trace.

Winning this battle required heavy investment from Sony, an investment that it expected to recoup with years of strong sales. Instead of the market moving from DVD to Blu-ray, consumers began to embrace downloads from Apple's iTunes service and streaming from sites like Netflix and Hulu. Although Blu-ray is integrated with some Windows laptops, it was never offered by Apple — Steve Jobs famously called the format a "bag of hurt." With the rise of movie streaming and downloads, Sony is now accepting that its disc business is not worth as much as it hoped.

Sony will give a full rundown of its financial performance over the past year in two weeks.
Its revenues from operations are likely to actually be higher than originally expected — the new forecast adds some 70 billion yen ($685 million) to the previous figure — but the company still expects to book a net loss for the year.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/1/5670786/sony-earnings-adjustment-impairment-charges

Mengetsu

I can see this with the way things are going with digital movies and streaming. Shame for people who love to collect I would not want physical copies of anything die out.

Azih

I remember almost getting banned as I was very obviously and rudely on the side of digital downloads making blue ray irrelevant and it being dumb of Sony to bet so much on it.

I doubt it is dying too soon, and I am not surprised that sales are lowering with the digital alternatives, but I really do not want to see it go anytime soon.

I love Netflix and such, but the quality of a good blu-ray is so much more better.

LaNaranja

I feel like I am one of five people who enjoys watching bonus features and commentaries on films. Digital copies never include that stuff :(

Lynd7

Nooo.. I hope it's supported for years to come. I don't want worse quality digital versions..

Mass market snubs quality yet again.

Aaron

Maybe they should make watching blu-rays less of a hassle compared to netflix. Mandate no more crappy previews, no more flashy menus. No more multiple 'please don't steal this' in six languages. I bought the damned disc! I'm not the person you should lecture about stealing. Just make so when I put the disc in, the movie just plays. They should have done this years ago.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That really sucks.

While I appreciate streaming I really enjoy owning physical copies of movies that I love.

I typically only stick to Netflix and the like for streaming, though, and absolutely refuse to actually BUY films digitally. If I'm going to spend money on a specific film I will purchase the disc every time.

It's not just about collection either. The quality of streaming movies just isn't on par with a good Blu-ray and I've yet to achieve proper 24hz playback from any of those services. :\

It's like all of the things I dislike in technology are succeeding. LCD panels? Digital distribution? People just don't give a shit about quality, it seems.

That said, music CDs are still released regularly and that business was absolutely stomped on by digital downloads so I have hope that Blu-ray won't be going anywhere for a while. Hell, DVDs are still being made for new releases.

I doubt it is dying too soon, and I am not surprised that sales are lowering with the digital alternatives, but I really do not want to see it go anytime soon.

I love Netflix and such, but the quality of a good blu-ray is so much more better.

That's how I feel. I'll watch a movie on Netflix or some other service, but there's just something about putting in a disc that's just more statisfying.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Maybe they should make watching blu-rays less of a hassle compared to netflix. Mandate no more crappy previews, no more flashy menus. No more multiple 'please don't steal this' in six languages. I bought the damned disc! I'm not the person you should lecture about stealing. Just make so when I put the disc in, the movie just plays. They should have done this years ago.

Or the opposite. Provide a DRM free digital solution like we have for music. I'd buy that in a heartbeat if it was a decent quality.

That's how I feel. I'll watch a movie on Netflix or some other service, but there's just something about putting in a disc that's just more statisfying.

Haha, that is one of the things that annoys me more about blu-rays actually. I am a lazy fuck when it comes to that and I dread having to get up and put a disc in something.

People have been saying this for quite a while now. I have a real soft spot for the format, and even posted on blu-ray.com for some time. In many ways, streaming, and dowloaded rips just aren't up to par with what BD offers quality-wise, but the digital alternatives are more convenient for most people. Me? I like a healthy combination of both. Hopefully we won't see most niche publishers suffering too badly.

BPoole

I still like Blu Ray. I'm not an avid movie collector or anything, but if I do buy a movie, it's definitely going to be on blu ray.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The problem with Blu-ray for me is that they're just so damn expensive. We got used to the price of DVDs having dropped and then they go and introduce a new format at double the price. Yeah, go fuck yourselves studios, that's not how the world works. We have an audience used to streaming and torrenting, sticking a middle finger up at them and demanding over the odds for disc media is short sighted.

Dabanton

Streaming is easier and 'good enough' for most people.

I personally only buy Blu Rays for certain films and only then if I've checked that it's actually a good transfer.

kazebyaka

Banned
I'll stop caring about blu-rays when they'll start releasing uncompressed hd video digitally. These "digital hd" releases are a joke.

drowsy

Blu-ray is kind of a shitshow with the horrible DRM and insane amount of unskippable stuff, which makes the legally bought copy way worse than a pirated copy that just has the files you actually want to watch.

But it's also the only format right now that has proper quality. Once streaming services start putting out 20+ mbit video, I'm ready to move on from physical media.

dark10x

The problem with Blu-ray for me is that they're just so damn expensive. We got used to the price of DVDs having dropped and then they go and introduce a new format at double the price. Yeah, go fuck yourselves studios, that's not how the world works. We have an audience used to streaming and torrenting, sticking a middle finger up at them and demanding over the odds for disc media is short sighted.
Where are you shopping? The MSRP is often high but it's very easy to find Blu-ray discs for very cheap.

Not at all shocked. I'm curious, what has been the ratio of Blu-Ray to DVD sales in recent years? Did most people make the switch, or just jump from DVD to digital?

NekoFever

Am I the only one who loves Blu-ray?

Love it and will continue to buy it as long as the AV is superior to digitally distributed options, which I guess is forever.

Netflix's 4K video is less than half the bit rate that Blu-ray in 1080p gives to video alone, let alone the lossless audio.

That said, music CDs are still released regularly and that business was absolutely stomped on by digital downloads so I have hope that Blu-ray won't be going anywhere for a while. Hell, DVDs are still being made for new releases.

This is why I think it'll be fine. It's not like physical media loses money; it's just making less money than it used to. As long as there's an enthusiast market and it's profitable, like LaserDisc in the pre-DVD days, it'll keep rolling.

Double the price? Here it's like £3 more for the BD over the DVD.

Movies and television shows is one area I'm not ready to move away from physical to digital, despite wanting to very badly. If there's ever a way to legally get downloads that are DRM-free and blu-ray quality then I will make the switch.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Where are you shopping? The MSRP is often high but it's very easy to find Blu-ray discs for very cheap.

Well that's the thing, I don't shop any more. No need to. But if I see them in a shop it's usually about £15-20 which is £10 too much for me. And even then, the idea of paying £10 for a physical copy of a movie I will probably only watch once has become antiquated and weird very quickly. Streaming services and VoD have really changed the way I consume media.

dark10x

Love it and will continue to buy it as long as the AV is superior to digitally distributed options, which I guess is forever.

Netflix's 4K video is less than half the bit rate that Blu-ray in 1080p gives to video alone, let alone the lossless audio.
Urk, I really dislike these streaming services attempts at "4k" or "1440p" video. It really shows me that they have no idea what's actually best for video quality. They should stick to 1080p and focus on bit rate.

Honestly, 720p video with a much higher bit rate would look nicer than "4k" video as we have it on Netflix.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Blu-ray is kind of a shitshow with the horrible DRM and insane amount of unskippable stuff, which makes the legally bought copy way worse than a pirated copy that just has the files you actually want to watch.

But it's also the only format right now that has proper quality. Once streaming services start putting out 20+ mbit video, I'm ready to move on from physical media.

Don't hold your breath there, especially when corporations finish killing net neutrality.

Wolfe

This is why I think it'll be fine. It's not like physical media loses money; it's just making less money than it used to. As long as there's an enthusiast market and it's profitable, like LaserDisc in the pre-DVD days, it'll keep rolling.

And just like vinyl albums, the market share may shrink but the medium will live on.

Also yes like others have mentioned it's not hard to find blurays on the cheap especially when it comes to shit like Amazon. Granted not always the case if you want to buy a movie day 1 or something but I have yet to spend over 12 or 13 bucks on a single bluray and that specifically was for Miami Connection which was a special case. Hell shit like the Indiana Jones collection has been as low as 30 bucks.

Guess Who

Banned
Urk, I really dislike these streaming services attempts at "4k" or "1440p" video. It really shows me that they have no idea what's actually best for video quality. They should stick to 1080p and focus on bit rate.

Honestly, 720p video with a much higher bit rate would look nicer than "4k" video as we have it on Netflix.

The problem with upping bitrate is that broadband connections in the US suck ass, so they have to find a good compromise between quality and bandwidth.

Few enough people would be able to stream 30mbps Blu-ray quality content with any kind of stability, and even many of those that could would hit their bandwidth caps hella fast.

Paganmoon

I remember almost getting banned as I was very obviously and rudely on the side of digital downloads making blue ray irrelevant and it being dumb of Sony to bet so much on it.

Yeah, and it only took what, 8 years for it to even come close to being true? :)

The only reason I buy a blu-ray anymore is if it's real cheap or comes with a digital copy. All my purchases revolve around getting my movies on VUDU. The actual discs have become kind of irrelevant to me

digital is cool and everything but i still prefer to hold a physical copy of a movie, recently bought the lord of the rings trilogy on Blu-Ray for £10 .. best investment of my life. Unwrapping the box and popping it open is a great feeling... even if Blu-Ray disappears i would still keep collecting them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom