• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue – discovering the Sega classic 14 years too late (The Guardian)

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Play Shenmue in 2014 and it’s just as easy to be absorbed by its fiction as anything that Naughty Dog’s realised in recent years.

Link

Nice article by the Guardian about playing through Shenmue for the first time in 2014. I really don't think Shenmue III would cost $100m to make though.

I don't think it'd cost 100m, but it'd certainly be very expensive. Suzuki has apparently said that if he ever got the chance to make Shenmue 3 then he'd complete the story. That means it'd have to cover chapters 6-16. Which is why the Kickstarter idea thrown around has always seemed highly unlikely. I just can't see how they could raise anywhere near enough to complete a project of that scale.

Why wouldn't SEGA re-release it? It's not available on any current platform. The most recent edition was Shenmue 2 on the original Xbox...

bigkrev

Why wouldn't SEGA re-release it? It's not available on any current platform. The most recent edition was Shenmue 2 on the original Xbox...

Because if people actually played it (either again or for the first time), they would realize how TERRIBLE the game is and stop begging for a sequel on internet forums.

Persona7

Banned
What happened to that rumor about the HD versions being complete but they were not sure if releasing it was viable?

Phediuk

Guys, I have a confession to make:

I didn't like Shenmue. At all. It utterly bored the shit out of me even when it was new. I'm sorry guys. I just can't bring myself to view the nonexistence of Shenmue 3 as a tragedy. I think much of the love for those games is tangled with a larger mourning for the Dreamcast and old Sega in general. It has become a symbol for the lost cause of the Dreamcast, the grand sweeping vision of Sega that never came to be.

Dash_

The Guardian said:
The visuals, while perhaps not quite cutting edge, were impressive for 1999. Yes, it’s full of graceless facial animations, despite benefitting from some primitive motion-capture work, and the overall aesthetic quality is nowhere close to the standard that the market-exploding PlayStation 2 would begin to introduce, just months after Shenmue’s arrival.

Eh. Don't agree with that at all.

Synth

Because if people actually played it (either again or for the first time), they would realize how TERRIBLE the game is and stop begging for a sequel on internet forums.

Yes, because that's exactly the experience described here in this article, by a writer who only just played it for the first time...

Karak

Link

Nice article by the Guardian about playing through Shenmue for the first time in 2014. I really don't think Shenmue III would cost $100m to make though.

Not even close. I hate that the original discussion always turns to that. Honestly we are talking about an incredible small area even if he went bigger than planned, compared to today's smaller open world games. Engines available for insanely cheap with no need to make your own.

Voice actors though.

catmincer

Shenmue is great.

It's still beautiful, the world still feels alive, I care about the characters and it'd benefit hugely from newer hardware.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
Brilliant Shenmue Review! Especially from someone who played the game only for the first time! Kudos for that. :)

But there are some points that needs a little more care. One is about the myth that Shenmue 3 is going to cost a lot.

Relative to its contemporaries, Shenmue 3 needn’t be as expensive as the first two games. The ground that was broken by Shenmue 1 & 2 is now well trodden, with plenty of experience and tools available to reduce the insane amounts of R&D required for developing the originals, which were inarguably ahead of their time.

The cost of making games has certainly increased, but the proportional cost of making Shenmue-style games has fallen dramatically from the bleeding edge heights of its development in the ’90s. It really was an exceptional project to undertake in those days, whereas now, even if they aim for AAA presentation, its costs would be comparable to its modern peers.

While games are now generally more expensive to produce and inflation makes the numbers look even scarier, it should go without saying that Shenmue today would not be the technical breakthrough that it was in 1999. It paved the way for what so many games are doing now. All the costly R&D, all the early trial and error, was done by Shenmue. The tools, skills and experience to develop that kind of game are now more readily available than in the late nineties when there was no precedence from which to learn and evolve. Just like other open world adventures of today, Shenmue III would be standing on the shoulders of giants, not starting from scratch at the foot of the mountain.

A particular comment there set it right, too:
I can't fathom why someone would believe it would cost $100 million to make a Shenmue III. Shenmue was so expensive to make because it was a revolutionary game. There was nothing like it.

Nowadays free roaming in 3D games with full voiceovers is everywhere. Now they would be able to utilize an existing game engine rather than build it from the ground up. Game companies have been doing this for many years.

Shenmue III has never been made because of the fear of failure. Shenmue... was deemed a flop unfairly. Sales were estimated at roughly 1.2 million copies sold. So-so right? What people usually fail to mention is that thats off a lifetime userbase of 10.6 million Dreamcast. Thats a copy of Shenmue sold on ~11% of Dreamcast. Compare that to what killed threw Dreamcast into an early grave, the PS2. PS2 after all was said and done had a massive userbase of 155 million systems sold (nearly 15x more than Dreamcast). Had Shenmue been released on its cousin PS2, we would likely be on Shenmue VII by now because...(in my opinion only) PS2 Shenmue would have sold 5-8 million plus copies, which would have been massive success.

[Source: http://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/35124492]

---

Just let it die, please.
Huh? Shenmue is already dead. We are trying to resurrect it, because we love it and we need a conclusion to the epic saga/story.

I didn't like Shenmue. At all. It utterly bored the shit out of me even when it was new. I'm sorry guys. I just can't bring myself to view the nonexistence of Shenmue 3 as a tragedy. I think much of the love for those games is tangled with a larger mourning for the Dreamcast and old Sega in general. It has become a symbol for the lost cause of the Dreamcast, the grand sweeping vision of Sega that never came to be.
Some people just didn't like it. Others enjoyed the slow pace because it's so different. What you found boring about it, I probably found to be the quintessential masterstrokes of the series.

---

As a last note, I wish the author of the article would mention the #SaveShenmue campaign and the passion that prevails among the fans even today.

Nibel

Just let it die, please.

iedd1Ux1OSs8V.gif

UrbanRats

Always the best in my heart.
Some elements haven't aged gracefully, but at the time they were all pretty mind blowing.

And it's still very unique, when it comes to the sense of adventure, the tone of the game and the general attention to details.

Xpliskin

I actually forced myself to get super high grades in high school so my parents would buy it to me day 1. One of my fondest gaming memories. /hipster

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Play Shenmue in 2014 and it’s just as easy to be absorbed by its fiction as anything that Naughty Dog’s realised in recent years.
Hmmm, I love Shenmue and I did actually just replay it but I feel this is a terrible comparison to make. The actual way in which the story is told in Shenmue often feels disjointed and awkward in comparison and there is a LOT of busy work and loading screens always working against this feeling.

It's an interesting experiment of a game that I still love but it has aged pretty noticeably. It definitely feels like a game that was simply too ambitious for its time.

The visuals, while perhaps not quite cutting edge, were impressive for 1999. Yes, it’s full of graceless facial animations, despite benefitting from some primitive motion-capture work, and the overall aesthetic quality is nowhere close to the standard that the market-exploding PlayStation 2 would begin to introduce, just months after Shenmue’s arrival.
This is also hogwash.

Shenmue is far behind a lot of even early PS2 games in so many ways. They also misspelled benefiting.

V_Arnold

Shenume's looks were vastly superior to anything pre-FFX. Anything. And even FFX only beats it via effects and facial animations, but not much. Also completely different scales.

Nice to see someone discover the magic of Shenmue for the first time a whopping 15 years after it has come out and rightfully herald it as the classic that it is. Shenmue and its sequel have no equal - there's nothing else out there that can be compared to them, and that's why the world still screams out for a third instalment to this day.

petran79

Banned

I didnt even play that game
I got a Dreamcast for the arcade ports, Soulcalibur and Jet Set Radio

regarding storytelling, I was used to the FMV games with real actors on Windows and MS-DOS computers.

so going from real actors to CGI 3D images, was a downgrade really.

stn

I would be absolutely fine with Dreamcast graphics on Shenmue 3. Just give better controls. In fact, Dreamcast graphics might make it feel like 10+ years haven't passed since the sequel released.

Synth

Hmmm, I love Shenmue and I did actually just replay it but I feel this is a terrible comparison to make. The actual way in which the story is told in Shenmue often feels disjointed and awkward in comparison and there is a LOT of busy work and loading screens always working against this feeling.

It's an interesting experiment of a game that I still love but it has aged pretty noticeably. It definitely feels like a game that was simply too ambitious for its time.

This is also hogwash.

Shenmue is far behind a lot of even early PS2 games in so many ways. They also misspelled benefiting.

I'm a little confused here. You say it's hogwash, but it sounds a lot like you agree with him?

I would be absolutely fine with Dreamcast graphics on Shenmue 3. Just give better controls. In fact, Dreamcast graphics might make it feel like 10+ years haven't passed since the sequel released.

Unless an astounding job was done to update Shenmue's look, I would probably have more confidence in them pulling a Megaman 9 with the sequel tbh. The last thing I need is for it to receive a Halo CE:Anniversary style makeover.

ajim

Shenmue threads are the best kind of threads.

Everytime I see one on the front page of NeoGAF I get all gooey inside.

I LOVE YOU YU AND SHENMUE!

Matesamo

I picked Shenmue up the day it launched and it is one of the few "modern" adventure games that I played through to the finish, I was obsessed with the game and remember the first time I left the house and ran through the village. At the time I had never seen anything like it, it was like I was actually in Japan and it was breath taking and beautiful on my 36 inch tube TV.

The job the article mentions about driving the forklifts hits home as well. I remember getting so annoyed at the game during that point and it took my girlfriend to remind me that it was a JOB I was doing so of course it should not be fun, lol. I would love to explore that world and finish the story if I ever got the chance.

UrbanRats

Your post sounds bit like: "i don't like X game, therefore y'all must be a bit delusional".

Whether someone likes it or not, i think Shenmue is able to carry its reputation on its own, without the need to become a larger symbol for the death of SEGA.
And i'm telling you this as someone who had never owned a SEGA console before or after the Dreamcast, so i wasn't particularly attached to the brand (though i found, on the Dreamcast some of the best gaming experiences i've had, indeed).

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Even at the year 2020, we will still see people asking for more Shenmue.

Why can't Sega release Shenmue I & II in HD and see if sales are good enough to warrant a 3rd and final chapter? I think Suzuki-san will be more than willing to work as a consultant for the project.

EDIT: Loved the piece.

Even at the year 2020, we will still see people asking for more Shenmue.

Why can't Sega release Shenmue I & II in HD and see if sales are good enough to warrant a 3rd and final chapter? I think Suzuki-san will be more than willing to work as a consultant for the project.

EDIT: Loved the piece.

Shenmue is a great game. It really is. But it's very, very niche. That's just how it rolls, and I like it better that way, but honestly, it's very hard to justify another game.

People always say "DOESN'T SEGA LIKE MONEY?!?!", but that answers their own question - they apparently do, and that's why you haven't seen another Shenmue game in years.

HD re-release? Still costs money. You have to put it back up on the network, redo the textures and shit, etc. None of that is free, and takes quite a bit of work to get up and running.

Then you'd have to hope that people buy the damn HD release and don't scoff it off. Let's face it - it's very hard to get a decent number of people to buy a game like this.

I just don't think Shenmue has the fans to even justify that HD release. It'd take some major tweaking to get even the most hardcore gamers to grace the series, and wouldn't that kinda ruin the whole point of the game(s)?

RangerX

Banned
One of the most phenomenal game worlds I ever inhabited. The world was so well realised that it completely engrossed me. It was such a tranquil and relaxing game to play that I've had few better gaming experiences tbh. Finish off the damn trilogy already sega.

What happened to that rumor about the HD versions being complete but they were not sure if releasing it was viable?

Yes, what was the deal with this? Such a tremendous and still mostly unsurpassed foundation for a fully 3D adventure game, IMO, and it's a damned shame it hasn't had the opportunity to be fixed up with the benefit of hindsight, the modern refinements to game design developed over the intervening years, and better current console hardware, in terms of horsepower and modern standards of control. Imagine the ability to eliminate loading pauses, add in dual analog control for better independent movement and camera view, and allow for full-on VF-quality fighting everywhere in its world and not just specific areas meant to handle its performance needs in addition to creating truly bustling streets of people and vehicles.

Also: where are the police in the world of Shenmue, anyway? Pretty sure they were around in 1980s Japan and China.

Silky

Banned

danwarb

This is also hogwash.

It's hogwash though you agree with him. Early PS2 games looked much worse. We had loads more polygons, but tiny framebuffers and simple textures for quite a while.

Shenmue had great consistency and although textures look a bit muddy now, they were more complex and varied than most other console games at the time or soon after.

genjiZERO

This is a game I never got to experience. When it came out I was super pressed for time. I remember that it had an English dub on it which really turned me off so I allocated my time elsewhere. I've got more time now though, and I think it might be fun to get into it. I'm still really turned off by the English dub though.

FryHole

If nothing else, that article deserves high praise for employment of the traditional gaming magazine picture caption "[something], yesterday" when discussing a game from the 90s.

Manbig

Speak for yourself. I played it less than a year ago and it's still pretty damn great.

I honestly can't believe that is true in this day and age.

Even if they thought a retail release might not be viable, a digital download is virtually risk free if they'd already completed the games.

petran79

Banned
Whoa, your opinion about the game you didn't even play is so interesting!

sometimes you dont even need to play it.
my prediction proved right for GTAV and Last of Us when I got to play them afterwards.

no need to watch a movie or read a comic if you know what you'll expect....

Synth

sometimes you dont even need to play it.
my prediction proved right for GTAV and Last of Us when I got to play them afterwards.

no need to watch a movie or read a comic if you know what you'll expect....

Whilst I agree that there is often no need to watch or play something if there is sufficient information available for you to deduce that you won't like it... I see no reason why you would bother to enter a topic about that game to inform people that did like it of how much it never interested you. What's the point in that? It's not as if you not liking it makes it objectively rubbish and everybody else who did like it needs to realise this...

Top Bottom