• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Q4 FY14 Results: Above expectations, $750 million buyback, stock up 15% afterhours

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Call at 5 EDT: http://investor.ea.com/eventdetail.cfm?eventid=144078

EA said:
Electronic Arts Reports Q4 FY14 and FY14 Financial Results
Full-Year Non-GAAP EPS and Operating Cash Flow Doubles Year-Over-Year
Non-GAAP Digital Net Revenue of $1.8 Billion Delivers 45% of Total Revenue
Announcing New $750 Million Share Repurchase

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:01 pm PDT

"Electronic Arts delivered outstanding results in fiscal year 2014. Most importantly, we produced hit games, innovative digital content and services, and amazing entertainment for our players around the world"

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced preliminary financial results for its fourth fiscal quarter ended March 31, 2014.

“Electronic Arts delivered outstanding results in fiscal year 2014. Most importantly, we produced hit games, innovative digital content and services, and amazing entertainment for our players around the world,” said Chief Executive Officer Andrew Wilson. “It was a transformative year for EA in a dynamic year for our industry, and I’m even more excited for the new experiences we will deliver in fiscal year 2015 and beyond.”

“While navigating through a year of tremendous change in the industry, which included a challenging console transition, we were able to exceed revenue guidance, lower our operating expenses, double operating cash flows, and invest in new products and services for the future,” said Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen. “On a non-GAAP basis, we drove higher gross margins, improving our operating profit margins to 18%.”

This release, along with ongoing updates regarding EA’s business, is available on EA’s blog at http://ea.com/news.

Selected Financial and Operating Highlights and Metrics:
*On a non-GAAP basis

Calendar year-to-date, EA continues to be the #1 publisher on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One consoles in the Western World led by FIFA 14, Titanfall™, Battlefield 4™, Need For Speed™ Rivals and Madden NFL 25.
In the fiscal fourth quarter, EA titles represented 40% of Western World combined title sales for the PlayStation®4 and Xbox One.
Mobile revenue set a new EA record, contributing nearly $460 million* for the fiscal year.
EA’s mobile business reached more than 130 million monthly active users in the fiscal year, and in Q4, EA mobile games were downloaded 143 million times.
EA’s Ultimate Team services generated more than $380 million* in fiscal year 2014, with Madden Ultimate Team growing 90% year-over-year.

Operating cash flow for the fiscal year was $712 million, more than doubling last year’s operating cash flow of $324 million.
Calendar year-to-date, FIFA 14, Titanfall and Battlefield 4 were three of the top five best-selling titles across all platforms in the Western World.
EA makes history as Bruce Lee steps into The Octagon™ for the first time with EA SPORTS™ UFC® launching on June 17.

Q4 Financial Highlights:

For the quarter, non-GAAP net revenue of $914 million was above our guidance of $800 million. Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share of $0.48 was above our guidance of $0.09.

- See more at: http://news.ea.com/press-release/co...d-fy14-financial-results#sthash.nxqmg29D.dpuf
Source: http://news.ea.com/press-release/co...ts-reports-q4-fy14-and-fy14-financial-results

These will be filled out in a moment.

Financial Statistic:

Cash flow is the most accurate look at how the company is doing as it neither defers revenue (makes GAAP seem whacky compared to what happens) or excludes expenses (Non-GAAP/EA Accounting):

Cash Flow (Quarter): $281 million
Cash Flow (Past 12 Months): $712 million

GAAP Profit (Quarter): $367 million
GAAP Profit (Year): $8 million

Non-GAAP Profit (Quarter): $152 million
Non-GAAP Profit (Year): $534 million

What time is the conference call? I wonder if they'll say anything about NBA Live.

Conference Call and Supporting Documents

Electronic Arts will host a conference call on May 6, 2014 at 2:00 pm PT (5:00 pm ET) to review its results for the fiscal quarter ended March 31, 2014 and its outlook for the future. During the course of the call, Electronic Arts may disclose material developments affecting its business and/or financial performance. Listeners may access the conference call live through the following dial-in number: 888-677-1083 (domestic) or 773-799-3213 (international), using the password “EA” or via webcast at http://ir.ea.com.

EA will also post a slide presentation that accompanies the call at http://ir.ea.com.

A dial-in replay of the conference call will be provided until May 20, 2014 at the following number: 203-369-0099 (domestic) or 866-356-3373 (international). A webcast replay of the conference call will be available for one year at http://ir.ea.com.

Non-GAAP Digital Net Revenue of $1.8 Billion Delivers 45% of Total Revenue

Wait so 45% of EA's revenue is Digital based or am I reading that wrong? Origin not going away anytime soon if true

i enjoyed NFS: Rivals and Plants vs Zombies Garden Wafare on xbox360 this past year. didn't give a penny more to EA though, no microtransaction or DLC purchases.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Whatalineup:

eawtftvejr.png

mcrommert

Banned
i enjoyed NFS: Rivals and Plants vs Zombies Garden Wafare on xbox360 this past year. didn't give a penny more to EA though, no microtransaction or DLC purchases.

I hate how people on these forums treat this sort of thing as a badge of honor.

If the game is worth your money buy it...if not dont. Politicizing video games just divides gamers more and balkanizes the gaming landscape.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Interesting that they only have one unannounced game scheduled for this year. That means that NFS is going to skip a year for the first time in a long time or they've decided to push Visceral's Battlefield game back.

Supposedly Ghost UK's Need For Speed game was canceled in favor of putting staff on Battlefield, so I'm guessing it's Battlefield.

QaaQer

Its still pretty crazy that Madden hasn't seen a PC release since Madden 08. They are pretty steadfast on not supporting the platform with their annualized sports releases, which is probably a good call for a bunch of reasons.

Maybe it is easier to run the ultimate team gambling scam on console, to easy to hack on PC.

Supposedly Ghost UK's Need For Speed game was canceled in favor of putting staff on Battlefield, so I'm guessing it's Battlefield.

Waaat, really? Thats a surprise, I guess they need everyone on BF though, perhaps it will actually run a bit better this year.

So, the original Ghost studio (Sweden?) working on next years?

Battlefield being the one that makes it this year? Yeah, that seems to be the most likely scenario. I was thinking that it could be delayed due to the backlash surrounding Battlefield 4's lack of polish. It almost seems like they're hoping that DICE can get that fixed so that they can finally announce Visceral's game without that cloud hanging over the franchise still.

I guess Rivals underperformed if they're letting it sit out a year. Really sad since it was a solid game. But giving the main Ghost studio in Sweden additional time to work on the game certainly can't hurt.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Waaat, really? Thats a surprise, I guess they need everyone on BF though, perhaps it will actually run a bit better this year.

So, the original Ghost studio (Sweden?) working on next years?

I believe so.

I think the core issue is the racing genre isn't doing as hot as it used to so investing in it annually didn't make sense to them anymore.

To not lay everyone off, they put some of them on Battlefield instead.

Battlefield being the one that makes it this year? Yeah, that seems to be the most likely scenario. I was thinking that it could be delayed due to the backlash surrounding Battlefield 4's lack of polish. It almost seems like they're hoping that DICE can get that fixed so that they can finally announce Visceral's game without that cloud hanging over the franchise still.

I guess Rivals underperformed if they're letting it sit out a year. Really sad since it was a solid game. But giving the main Ghost studio in Sweden additional time to work on the game certainly can't hurt.

Yeah at this point I think they're just focusing on a quality entry every two years for Need For Speed and hoping that sparks interest.

Rivals really didn't do super hot on anything but PS4.

What is with the non Generally Accepted Accounting Principles Profit? Is it usual for companies to report non GAAP? Why such the gap between that and GAAP?

Dolor

No specific Origin numbers again. In these types of announcements, no news is bad news. That digital number certainly includes mobile and probably includes console digital sales as well so is meaningless for Origin.

Top Bottom