• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sprint will slow down speeds for its heaviest data users starting next month

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/5/8/5694878/sprint-will-throttle-speeds-for-heaviest-data-users

Sprint has announced that it will slow down data speeds for its most demanding smartphone customers beginning next month. The carrier is currently sending out text messages to subscribers alerting them of the change, which will only apply to areas dealing with network congestion. Anyone that falls within the top 5 percent of data users will start seeing throttled speeds the following month, though Sprint isn't getting specific about just how hard it'll be hitting the brakes. The company only says that affected customers can expect "slower-than-normal data speeds until the congestion has passed."

Sprint clearly isn't too fond of these data-hungry users; in a FAQ on its website, the carrier bluntly states that they "consume a disproportionate share of network resources and cause a negative user experience for the rest." Sprint says there's no clear marker for what will land you in the "top 5 percent" since it will be determined on a monthly basis. But in general, anyone using 5GB or more can expect to fall into the pool. Prepaid customers with Boost and Virgin Mobile USA will also be subject to reduced network performance, though those brands have long throttled customers once they pass a certain data threshold.

The move is likely to upset some people, but may prove a necessary step for Sprint to maintain a consistent experience for the majority of its users. The third-place US carrier has fallen behind its rivals in making network upgrades, though an oft-rumored T-Mobile US acquisition would help bolster its position. Verizon Wireless, AT&T, and T-Mobile all employ similar network management practices. Like T-Mobile, Sprint has prided itself on continuing to offer "unlimited" data plans to consumers, though the very real threat of throttling — even if it's only in congested areas — makes that offer a bit less impressive.

J-Rod

I had sprint for 4 years and it was already unbearably slow at non throttled speeds. I know many want to see them do well since they still have unlimited data plans, but all they do is waste a lot of spectrum that someone else could put to good use.

quickwhips

This is why I switched to republic wireless. I get to use there network but not deal with their bs and save alot of money.

styl3s

I have a question that really bugs me from time to time.

To people here that are on contracts and pay $100+ a month for a bill, why? Why do you continue to do this? There are pre-paid services that not only offer better coverage in a lot of areas they are like 60% cheaper and offer better data plans. Do you just have to have the latest iphone at $200 instead of $600? Why not just suck it up, pay the $600 and throw it on metropcs, spotmobile or some other service? Do that and in 2 years you would have saved like 2 grand.

Maybe it's that i don't care enough about the cell phone scene but i use spotmobile, get 4G, pay $40 and get better service and data then my friend who pays almost $120 on Verizon.

I'm in a 3G zone right now barely able to browse mobile GAF, I can't imagine going any slower than this. 2.5 months to switch cannot come fast enough.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
My sprint is incredibly fast... Good thing my data usage is fairly low.

Wait, what speeds? The stupid thing rarely ever works as it is.

I'm in a 3G zone right now barely able to browse mobile GAF, I can't imagine going any slower than this. 2.5 months to switch cannot come fast enough.

I'm with you. I can't wait to get out of this contract. It's almost over!

TxdoHawk

Ick. I was all set to switch to Sprint, but now I don't know. Maybe I'll do T-Mobile then, but who knows if they'll just get swallowed whole by Sprint anyway...

What defines a heavy data user?
The claim is that the top 5% of heaviest users will be throttled.

Dicer

Banned
Sprint says there's no clear marker for what will land you in the "top 5 percent" since it will be determined on a monthly basis. But in general, anyone using 5GB or more can expect to fall into the pool. Prepaid customers with Boost and Virgin Mobile USA will also be subject to reduced network performance, though those brands have long throttled customers once they pass a certain data threshold.

Hahahaha, such bullshit...even that shitty ATT plan they are constantly pimping on TV is 10gb of data.

In the day and age when steaming and large files are commonplace, it astounds me that every single carrier is so backwards thinking.

johnny956

I'm currently sitting at 15gb with t-mobile right now with 3 more days until my billing cycle ends. It would be a lot less if my company let me use their wifi (we have plenty of bandwidth too).

Lol good thing I started using my wifi connection to offset my data usage. In my first few months with my Virgin Mobile S3, I was hitting 10+ gigs a month easily. I'm sure I would have been in that top 5%.

LogicStep

To people here that are on contracts and pay $100+ a month for a bill, why? Why do you continue to do this? There are pre-paid services that not only offer better coverage in a lot of areas they are like 60% cheaper and offer better data plans. Do you just have to have the latest iphone at $200 instead of $600? Why not just suck it up, pay the $600 and throw it on metropcs, spotmobile or some other service? Do that and in 2 years you would have saved like 2 grand.

Maybe it's that i don't care enough about the cell phone scene but i use spotmobile, get 4G, pay $40 and get better service and data then my friend who pays almost $120 on Verizon.
At least here, no other option. It's ATT or deal with a shitty signal at home.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
"our data speeds are amazeballs, buy our product and use it like crazy!"

Welcome to our service, now stop using it so much.

So... here in Mexico, I have a pre-paid plan with a company called Telefonica Movistar.

I pay the equivalent of $15 dollars per month (which I can pay in cash at convenience stores) and it includes:

• 500 minutes to any company (international long distance included).
  • 100 SMS
  • Unlimited minutes and SMS to any other phone from the same carrier
  • Unlimited Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and Email
  • And 250MB of data

Now... I think this is a pretty good deal for the price.

But... when I finish the 250MB, let's say, browsing NeoGAF, I get redirected to a webpage telling me that I do not have any more data. But for some reason, if I use the Opera Beta browser and use the Off-Road, I can still browse the web, unlimited.

Also... since two months ago, I paid for Hotspot Shield VPN and for some reason, all the Internet becomes completely unlimited.

Why? Why does it happens? Can anyone explain it to me? Not that I'm complaining... I'm just curious.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Hey goddamn network-managing morons, let me explain you a thing or two.
When the capacity/cost of infrastructure relation is logarithmic, you don't lower speeds, sure as hell you don't lobby washington, you just actually spend that lobbying money in better infrastructure.

#InternetConnectionPublicOption

rrs

Slowest network throttling now? ahahhahahhahahahahaaa please

This will suck for Spark users

WalkMan

Banned

How do you have better service when you are using a reseller provider? They piggyback on other services and are tiered secondary. Meaning during peak time you aren't guarenteed any service at all. I pay more so that I can have better coverage and consistent service and I can afford that quality.

kingocfs

LTE coverage around here is pretty shitty, and the 3G is slow as hell. I'm not convinced that they can possibly make it worse.

styl3s

How do you have better service when you are using a reseller provider? They piggyback on other services and are tiered secondary. Meaning during peak time you aren't guarenteed any service at all. I pay more so that I can have better coverage and consistent service and I can afford that quality.
My 4G coverage is perfect on spotmobile where as i never hit it on Sprint except like 2 areas in which both were about 20 minutes from my general area.

And i am 99% sure you can't sell someone a cell phone service and not give them service during peek hours, that sounds like a lawyers wet dream. My client wasn't able to dial for help when he wrecked at 5:30 because of peak hours.

Vyroxis

Banned
When I had sprint, the service was horseshit on a good day. 3G was spotty, 4G was a pipe dream. Sprint can burn in a lake of fire.

ito007

me and my family used to do prepaid services but the service was bad. coverage was terrible and when we had troubles, customer service just wouldnt do anything for us. it was an awful experience. we live in the Cincinnati area so maybe virgin mobile is just bad there? obviously we havent tried every prepaid service so we could just keep finding one that sticks, but its just more convenient for us to sign a contract with a carrier that we know for sure is gonna give us good service. normally i would agree with your sentiment though, the rate is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom