• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS seriously need to unify the XONE and the 360 infrastructure

mocoworm

The negative things for me currently regarding the XBOX infrastructure are:

SEPERATE MARKETPLACES
------------------------------------
store.xbox.com for the XONE and marketplace.xbox.com for the 360

When I am on PC I just want to go to one store that has a filter... just like the PSN store. It's crazy to have to go to seperate URL's and have different experiences when I should just be able to find the content I want.

ACHIEVEMENTS / ACTIVITY
---------------------------------
xbox.com will not display any activity that I have done on my XONE. I just went to the site and you can't display any XONE content or activity. The ONLY way to see what you have done on XONE is to use Smartglass or the app, which leads me to...

PHONE / TABLET APPS
---------------
2 separate apps. Every time I want to see what is going on with my friends, view my achievments or check/send a message I have to open the relevant app.

VISIBILITY
------------------
When I am on 360 and my friends are on XONE I can't see what they are playing. It just says 'xbox one'. However, if I am on the XONE I can see what my friends are playing just fine... 'xxxx is playing GTAV (360)'. Why? Is it really that difficult to display the title of the game?

Why is is so difficult to unify the databases or at least let them talk to each other so I can see all my achievements in one place and keep up with what my friends are doing? Why on xbox.com does it say my last game played was GTAV 2 weeks ago when I have played Titanfall every day since then. It is really breaking the experience for me now. I thought it would be addressed immediately after launch.

It just makes no sense.

PS. please, PLEASE release a Kinect extension cable.

/RANT

Thoughts?

BibiMaghoo

I assume the store situation is to ensure customers do not buy games for the wrong device. Sony also split the stores presumably for this reason.

mocoworm

I assume the store situation is to ensure customers do not buy games for the wrong device. Sony also split the stores presumably for this reason.

They don't. When I go to the PSN store on my PC I filter by PS3, PS4 or VITA on the left menu. It's a unified store.

When I access my PS+ offers all the content is mixed together.

wrog

I agree, after six months Xbox.com is still stuck in the past generation. Xbox One store page is terrible.

I've been perplexed since launch about their website and app for the XB1. It's like they forgot how to design these things. The XB1 app is so poorly designed it's kind of amazing. Their website still doesn't let you view your friends or anything related to your XB1 profile 6 months after launch.

odhiex

Hey Microsoft, could you do cross-buy (Xone<>360<>Windows) of the same game as well? ... That would be awesome.

Thanks.

Caayn

xbox.com needs to start working with Xbox One achievements/friends/followers/etc already, it's been 6 months since the console first hit store shelves.

I'm still missing a real friendlist on the Xbox One (2-way accept), I'm not liking the twitter system. People I follow and follow me back don't appear as friends outside of the Xbox One ecosystem, despite me being under the 100 friends limit of the 360.

APPS
---------------
2 separate apps. Every time I want to see what is going on with my friends, view my achievments or check/send a message I have to open the relevant app.
Personally I'm against apps for things such as this. Why do I need to load an app for a basic feature such as watching my achievements. The least Microsoft could do is have them permanently stored in the systems RAM so that they would load fast.

Majine

Banned
The friends stuff seems very confusing, since the 360 is still on the old friendlimit, no favorites and still the 2-way acceptance. Why can't they just go and add that in, since I assume, it's all serverside.

mocoworm

Personally I'm against apps for things such as this. Why do I need to load an app for a basic feature such as watching my achievements. The least Microsoft could do is have them permanently stored in the systems RAM so that they would load fast.

I agree, but I meant apps on my phone / tablet :)

Ade

I assume it'll happen soon(tm)

They've FINALLY got around to starting to unify the WP8/W8 stores.

Theres still a lot of polish needed in aspects of the XB1, heck the UK can't even access the store.xbox.com store.

I also discovered a fun quirk that you can't stack XBL Gold memberships on the one, but can on the web/360.

Theres also a bit of oddness around redeeming avatar items on the One too.

Its great they're pushing out such frequent updates (the latest preview build makes a lot of voice commands less intrusive) but theres still a need for some general tidying up to be done.

I'm not sure I get the Phone/Tablet app problem, my XB1 Smartglass app shows my friends 360 activity fine

Caayn

I agree, but I meant apps on my phone / tablet :)
Ah, didn't got that from your post, sorry. But yes, those too need to be unified.
Why do I need two different apps for something that one app should be perfectly capable of?

mocoworm

I'm not sure I get the Phone/Tablet app problem, my XB1 Smartglass app shows my friends 360 activity fine

? , maybe this is my idiocy then. I still have 2 smartglass apps. I thought the new one was just for the XONE and the old one for the 360.

This just goes to show that they can unify data and already do if the app is showing cross-information and a unified achievement list.

mocoworm

Where's Phil Spencer to answer this question when we need him?

GPMubV9.png

#believe

Ade

? , maybe this is my idiocy then. I still have 2 smartglass apps. I thought the new one was just for the XONE and the old one for the 360.

This just goes to show that they can unify data and already do if the app is showing cross-information and a unified achievement list.

I still have both apps too.

The 360 one will only control the 360 and the XB1 one will only control the XB1.

However my friend activity and messages work fine in the XB1 one and cover my 360 frinds activities too.

The achievements section on the XB1 smartglass also covers my activities and achievements on the 360, WP and Win8

mocoworm

I still have both apps too.

The 360 one will only control the 360 and the XB1 one will only control the XB1.

However my friend activity and messages work fine in the XB1 one and cover my 360 frinds activities too.

The achievements section on the XB1 smartglass also covers my activities and achievements on the 360, WP and Win8

In other words, 'what a mess'. Why not put the 360 control code in the XB1 smartglass and just have one app ?

nynt9

This is typical Microsoft. You have Windows Media Player, which can put songs on generic mp3 players, but if you buy a Zune you need the Zune player software, which is functionally identical but slower. Then if you have an older Windows Phone, you can use the Zune software but with a newer one, you need a totally separate piece of software which is a slower Windows Explorer that puts files on your phone.

Microsoft's separate products have always been stupidly disjoint.

Ade

In other words, 'what a mess'. Why not put the 360 control code in the XB1 smartglass and just have one app ?

Agreed. Possibly due to how it works / permissions/features needed on the phone/tablets though.

XB1 is via Wi-Fi direct, where as the 360 one goes via the net. The 360 one as a result works on almost every device known to man. XB1 smartglass has higher requirements.

That and I like opening the app and its already sync'd to my XB1 so I can control volume and such. If it was a universal app and both my 360 and the XB1 were on, there'd be an extra step as I chose which one to talk to I guess :/

If I had a magic wand and could make MS do anything it'd be to make the god damn Xbox One Media remote not require direct freaking line of sight of the front of the console.

Its 2014 for lords sake.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
I assume it'll happen soon(tm)

They've FINALLY got around to starting to unify the WP8/W8 stores.

Theres still a lot of polish needed in aspects of the XB1, heck the UK can't even access the store.xbox.com store.

I also discovered a fun quirk that you can't stack XBL Gold memberships on the one, but can on the web/360.

Theres also a bit of oddness around redeeming avatar items on the One too.

Its great they're pushing out such frequent updates (the latest preview build makes a lot of voice commands less intrusive) but theres still a need for some general tidying up to be done.

Unless I'm picking you up wrong http://store.xbox.com/en-GB/ works for me?

When you say stack do you mean with pre paid code? This was an issue on the 360 too. I always used to go with an auto renew, but when I got a gold for like £15 cheaper by code I cancelled my renew. It wouldn't let me add the code until the subscription had run out (happened twice so far).

Totally agree that things outside of the console don't flow as well as they should, at least with the WP8.1 developer preview things are going in the right direction, hopefully this will spill over to the XB1.

Ade

Unless I'm picking you up wrong http://store.xbox.com/en-GB/ works for me?

But can you actually buy anything? (Aside from the fact the 360 online store won't let you use MS Account Money, that XB1 web one is curiously devoid of "buy" buttons for me)

When you say stack do you mean with pre paid code? This was an issue on the 360 too. I always used to go with an auto renew, but when I got a gold for like £15 cheaper by code I cancelled my renew. It wouldn't let me add the code until the subscription had run out (happened twice so far).

Oddly I had no issues code stacking on the 360, was never on auto renew though, just kept piling codes on. Either way, if the website lets you do it, the console should :/

The negative things for me currently regarding the XBOX infrastructure are:

SEPERATE MARKETPLACES
------------------------------------
store.xbox.com for the XONE and marketplace.xbox.com for the 360

When I am on PC I just want to go to one store that has a filter... just like the PSN store. It's crazy to have to go to seperate URL's and have different experiences when I should just be able to find the content I want.

ACHIEVEMENTS / ACTIVITY
---------------------------------
xbox.com will not display any activity that I have done on my XONE. I just went to the site and you can't display any XONE content or activity. The ONLY way to see what you have done on XONE is to use Smartglass or the app, which leads me to...

PHONE / TABLET APPS
---------------

VISIBILITY
------------------
When I am on 360 and my friends are on XONE I can't see what they are playing. It just says 'xbox one'. However, if I am on the XONE I can see what my friends are playing just fine... 'xxxx is playing GTAV (360)'. Why? Is it really that difficult to display the title of the game?

Why is is so difficult to unify the databases or at least let them talk to each other so I can see all my achievements in one place and keep up with what my friends are doing? Why on xbox.com does it say my last game played was GTAV 2 weeks ago when I have played Titanfall every day since then. It is really breaking the experience for me now. I thought it would be addressed immediately after launch.

It just makes no sense.

PS. please, PLEASE release a Kinect extension cable.

/RANT

Thoughts?

Some great points OP! Gotta agree on all of them. I'd also like to see more arcade games on the Xbox One in general. There are far to few titles, couldn't they try to make some of the developers do ports by simply giving them a free relaunch on the Xbox One or something?

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
But can you actually buy anything?

Oddly I had no issues code stacking on the 360, was never on auto renew though, just kept piling codes on. Either way, if the website lets you do it, the console should :/
It wouldn't work for me on the website, X360 or more recently on the XB1, maybe it was because I went from auto renew to codes (though that was a while back before the XB1). I could never get a reason why it happened from MS, just told to wait until the sub / code ran out, the last time was the day before Titanfall came out!

OT: XB1 achievements not showing on the website annoy me more than it should, not because I'm an achivement whore, I just don't like how it doesn't connect!

p3tran

Banned

Why is is so difficult to unify the databases or at least let them talk to each other ......
/RANT

Thoughts?

maybe if they could like ..finalize the xbone db structure first, then afterwards build the 360 bridges?
would that be good for you?

xbox.com is useless for xbox one stuff.

Im guessing they want to encourage smartglass. Which would be fine if smartglass wasnt kinda useless as well right now

Storm360

This is one of my major issues with the Xbox One,

For example

Arranging to play Titanfall with a friend, he goes AFK, so I swap to the 360 and play some Halo while I wait, I can't simply pop open my dashboard to see "Gamertag playing Titanfall", I need to switch inputs to check my friends.

p3tran

Banned
What do you mean? They have been developing XONE for 5 years including the OS and XBOXLIVE hooks haven't they?

I am a huge xbox supporter. Check out my profile:

https://live.xbox.com/en-GB/Profile?gamertag=mocoworm

Just because I have issues doesn't mean I am down on the brand :)

didnt mean to offend you. since you have the xbone, you have seen how some things they are still working on them and evolving them. I am sure that when they feel confident they have reached some of their internal milestones, they will make sure that there is uniformity and proper communication across their older/different products.

Is there a thread to talk about features we want on Xbox One?

If there is I apologize:

I'd really like them to support DVI-D like they did on Xbox 360. Support all of the VGA resolutions so I can use my old monitors with Xbox One.

I've been perplexed since launch about their website and app for the XB1. It's like they forgot how to design these things. The XB1 app is so poorly designed it's kind of amazing. Their website still doesn't let you view your friends or anything related to your XB1 profile 6 months after launch.

I agree. It's a little annoying. Especially when they had it so right with the 360... I'm pretty sure it'll be fixed along with the UI. The question is, when ?

What do you mean? They have been developing XONE for 5 years including the OS and XBOXLIVE hooks haven't they?

I am a huge xbox supporter. Check out my profile:

https://live.xbox.com/en-GB/Profile?gamertag=mocoworm

Just because I have issues doesn't mean I am down on the brand :)

That Gamerscore is WEAK man, I'm at 118K. Get on my level!!! :p

Anywho, I agree, they have been taking a little longer on some updates and need to hurry it up.

Havoc2049

I also find this annoying as well. It is especially annoying since Microsoft did a great job of integrating GFWL and WP7/8 into the Live ecosystem. I just assumed XB1 would be of the same quality, but it isn't and feels like a step back and the XB1 is in it's own little Live world. When I'm on my X360 or WP8, my friends who only own an XB1 in the Live ecosystem don't even show up on my friends list.

arhra

But can you actually buy anything? (Aside from the fact the 360 online store won't let you use MS Account Money, that XB1 web one is curiously devoid of "buy" buttons for me)

ZV2DHSK.png

Haven't actually checked to see that it works (nothing I particularly want to buy digitally right now), but the buy button is definitely there for things that have already been released (unless you're bought them already, in which case it'll list the date you bought it).

Top Bottom