• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo apologizes for lack of same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/c4FWbi-Uave2T9R1h7SFzX0aoa-d4pgx
We apologize for disappointing many people by failing to include same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to change this game’s design, and such a significant development change can’t be accomplished with a post-ship patch. At Nintendo, dedication has always meant going beyond the games to promote a sense of community, and to share a spirit of fun and joy. We are committed to advancing our longtime company values of fun and entertainment for everyone. We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a game-play experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players.

If people still don't understand the matter
Since people still don't get this right:

THERE NEVER WAS A "PATCH" THAT REMOVED SAME-SEX RELATIONSHIPS IN THE JAPANESE RELEASE.

The media reported it as such but it involved a game breaking glitch that messed up everything in the game. Then there were players that made female Miis but made them look male to "cheat" same sex relationships into the game. This is still possible and was never removed.

There. Now can we get over that crap?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Why couldn't they have said that in the first place?

Crocodile

BOOM! There it is. This is what Nintendo should have said from the start. They recognize they made a mistake, apologized and pledge to do better next time. As long as they keep that promise then that means we've won.

mission-accomplished-1.gif

Kouriozan

We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a game-play experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players.

There, we got it, it'll be in a sequel if there is ever one greenlighted.

Sakura

and such a significant development change can’t be accomplished with a post-ship patch.
I think part of the problem was a lot of people for some reason thought it was simply a matter of them changing a line of code.

Cool. At least they've actually promised to do so in a possible new installment. It can't get any better than that, really.

gngf123

Hopefully this is enough to please people and show that Nintendo isn't just anti-gay as that article from earlier suggested.

DNAbro

I expected as much. Next game will have it. Now the only question is will it come here? First game needs to sell well enough to justify it.

zroid

Banned
This is exactly what should've been said from the beginning. Sucks that it took so long, but I'm glad it worked out.

LOL at the original tone deaf response. "LGBT people do not express themselves prominently in Japan! So why are you Americans complaining? Japanese people wouldn't complain."

Still BS though. I mean if they really wanted to change it, they could.

Hattori

Banned
"...if we create a next installment..."
"...if we create..."
"...IF..."

tomodachi series is dead (at least in the west.)

Foshy

Good for Nintendo. Hopefully this stops this entire foolishness.

foolishness? really?

Great to hear that, though. I don't really believe them when they say they couldn't patch it, but it's nice that they're responding to the issue and promise to do better with the next installment.

Mesoian

"...if we create a next installment..."
"...if we create..."
"...IF..."

tomodachi series is dead (at least in the west.)

Yurp

I'm a gay person who was unhappy with their initial response. I don't really see this middle finger you're talking about.

I mean, real talk, are you satisfied with this one?

I wouldn't be. But this entire thing seems crazy to me.

ultron87

Great! This is what they should've said in the first place.

The pledge at the end makes me feel okay about buying the game again.

All those posters who thought Nintendo was too "stuck in the past" or "Disney conservative" to make a statement like this need to form a line for the crow buffet.

Top Bottom