• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Policenauts

jamsy

So I just finished this game, and I have to say, it was an awesome and refreshing experience (especially considering it came out 20 years ago!). It really is a shame that the North American version of this game never got officially localized back in the day, but the English patch that was released finally gave me the chance to play through this (my Japanese isn't great enough for the more technical, space-y terms, etc) without losing anything. I can't recommend the patch enough, as the translators really did a great job with it (and I'm usually a stickler for grammar/spelling).

Let's get the bad things out of the way - no, the game isn't perfect. The shooting bits range from bad to frustratingly awful, since you're stuck using the d-pad in the PSX version. There is also an obscure "puzzle" and a crappy mini-game part (for those that have played it I'm talking about the
family crest and bomb diffusing parts respectively
). BTW, I just found out that the Saturn version had light gun support, which I'm sure would have made the shooting part of the game vastly better.

But the game sets such an amazing atmosphere. The combination of 90's era anime-like visuals and awesome music sets the perfect mood for the adventure. There is so much content for a game like this; clicking on virtually anything in the world gives you multiple responses compared to pretty much anything else I've played. It really is impressive how "deep" the game is in this regard. Policenauts also has a tremendous amount of voiced acted dialogue, pretty much all of which was well done, in my opinion. And unlike Snatcher (another title I greatly enjoyed), the game isn't short, clocking in around 11-12 hours.

The story is well done, with characters you actually care about, and touches on themes that at the time I'm guessing were very novel/original for a video game. I was also surprised at how educational it was on some topics (ie space, anatomy, etc)

I'm just really bummed that Kojima is stuck churning out MGS games and not working on things like Snatcher/Policenauts, which are both tremendous in my humble opinion.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I was really disappointed with it. It is so much worse than Snatcher, mainly because the pacing was horrendous.

Really? I'm only up to the point where
you get to the off-world colony and meet Meryl etc for the first time
but I haven't noticed that at all...

I played the first disc, it is 2 discs isn't it? Couldn't make the patch work/save work on the second so I never got to finish it. Loved what I played though, great atmosphere.

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
I remember seeing a couple of PSX Policenauts and Snatchers copies at a used game store in Japan but sadly neglected to pick them up.

Part of me wishes for an online re-release but I think their moment has passed and the time period has sadly moved on. Glad to be proven wrong though :)

I really want to play this game I wish there was an easier way to do so. I'm a huge Lethal Weapon fan and I hear the game draws from it.

I started playing Policenauts and was really enjoying the story and atmosphere, but I quit as soon as I got to the shooting part. Instantly frustrating.

Ratrat

I started playing Policenauts and was really enjoying the story and atmosphere, but I quit as soon as I got to the shooting part. Instantly frustrating.
Theres lock on. I didnt know this wheb I first played it and it was frusterating indeed.

Its a great ge. I wish Kojima could do something in that vein again.

I played about an hour of it, the Japanese version. I remember that the opening scene is a ripoff of Aliens, when they thaw Ripley out, and he even stole the jump cut that goes from Ripley's face to a shot of the Earth (or some other blue planet).

It seemed like an interesting game but my Japanese wasn't that good so it was a struggle when you have to stop to look up so many words in the dictionary.

Edit: This is the shot:

Aliens-dissolve-1.jpg
Aliens-dissolve-22.jpg
Aliens-dissolve-3.jpg

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I really want to play this game I wish there was an easier way to do so. I'm a huge Lethal Weapon fan and I hear the game draws from it.

It's really easy! eBay for a PS1 copy is about $30, make an ISO of it and put the English patch on. Then fire up your preferred emulator. That's all there is to it.

And yes it's pretty clear where the characters come from:
policenauts_vs_lethal_weapon-v2.jpg

BadWolf

Played it right after the english patch was released, loved it so much.

Oh man, the feels when that jingle played in the beginning (the one you hear when MGS1 starts).

jamsy

Yeah, there are a couple of really frustrating firefights but the nice thing is, you can retry as many times are you want.

Theres lock on. I didnt know this wheb I first played it and it was frusterating indeed.

There is? How do you lock on?

RAIDEN1

Awesome game, never played it but watched the walkthrough on Youtube quite a while ago...just a dam shame there is no way to play this on the PC! Hideo should definitely bring this as a HD release for Xbox Live/PSN...

jamsy

Awesome game, never played it but watched the walkthrough on Youtube quite a while ago...just a dam shame there is no way to play this on the PC! Hideo should definitely bring this as a HD release for Xbox Live/PSN...

Don't think a re-release would ever happen - would require too many resources and I'm sure it wouldn't sell a ton of copies. But you can use an emulator to play it on PC.

Top Bottom