• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to overtake PS4 in US by 2015, says analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

sublimit

Banned
"This change will be enough to push the Xbox One installed base higher than PS4 in the U.S. and Canada in 2015 rather than 2016. It kind of reminds me of Microsoft's evolution on Windows and IE. The initial design needs some serious help (i.e., last summer's DRM 'Xbox 180') and then improves to point of being a serious contender (this Kinect unbundling) and then vies for market share dominance (although I continue to believe PS4 will have the largest global installed base of any console at the end of 2016)," he explained.

Independent analyst Billy Pidgeon added, "This is a good competitive move for Microsoft. Price is an important factor at this point in the console cycle and in the consumer market, and Kinect lacks strong value for most gamers. Xbox One without Kinect should sell strongly at $399 and could out-perform PS4 at the same price on a month to month basis, although I think market share competition between Xbox One and PS4 will remain tight for most of the cycle."

Furthermore, unbundling the camera gives Microsoft more room to maneuver and stay competitive with Sony. "With two SKUs in the market, Microsoft has reverted to its Xbox 360 strategy. This gives the company some better flexibility with pricing, bundling and product positioning. Microsoft has already described the Xbox One with Kinect as the premium offering," Harding-Rolls noted.

Ultimately, the move sets the stage for an even more heated battle at E3 and the months ahead in 2014. "Sony will need to re-group to maintain its momentum in the market with the E3 press events taking on even more significance for both companies now," Harding-Rolls added.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-05-13-xbox-one-to-overtake-ps4-in-us-by-2015-says-analyst

I wish I was paid to just talk out my ass. The price change isn't even effective yet and people are jumping the gun. Let's wait till June npd to take a guess.

Pudge

I don't get what people see in the XBone. I really don't. All these stories today lamenting the death of Kinect and now this.

I don't get it.

I can see it happening, as Sony aren't too far ahead in the States. It will basically be the same as last gen, but I can see Sony winning the UK this time.

luca_aros

Neo Member
Going to be difficult given the support Sony gets in many asian countries/Europe... I mean how many countries was Xbone launched in compared to Sony...and how many will it be launched in by 2015?!

Eusis

Well, it's possible, but I'll be surprised and somewhat disappointed if it's not thanks to exclusives winning people over. I'd really rather not sheer brand momentum allow them to dominate (which I doubt it will if the Wii U's any indication.)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Going to be difficult given the support Sony gets in many asian countries/Europe... I mean how many countries was Xbone launched in compared to Sony...and how many will it be launched in by 2015?!
How is that relevant to the US?

This change will be enough to push the Xbox One installed base higher than PS4 in the U.S. and Canada in 2015 rather than 2016

So he previously believed xbox would overtake ps4 in 2016 with Kinect bundled?

madmackem

He says the us only, theres pretty much zero ms can do to win in places like europe and japan.

Alphahawk

Is this based on anything? Like I know the Kinnect bla bla bla, but skimming over the article I could not see them give a definite answer as to what MS has the Sony doesn't.

Bundy

Banned
T9lWwBO.gif

Yeah.... no!

It's the same shit, from the same people, all over again.

Shengar

Does this analysts have put unnanounced Sony 1st party exclusives to their analysis? It's possible, but at this point, when E3 approaching, these type of analysis will fall short quickly.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
If Sony doesn't release a single title ever again and increases the price of PS4 by $100 I predict that the Xbone will overtake it in 2014.

Also, watch the $399-kinectless SKU fail. We'll have Sunset Overdrive bundle at $399 without kinect when the game launches.

suedester

Banned
Wasn't the Xbox available widely at 449 with titanfall? That's better value than the 399 SKU and didn't exactly sell well.

Console sales don't matter as much anymore. It's more about the revenue attached to it. In the old days you had a better coralation between success and sold consoles because buying games was the only revenue stream. Now you have a multitude of options.

I am more interested in seeing who makes most for their online, dlc, and what their operations income are. We can't look at console sales as a gauge of success the same way.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Is Sony doomed now?

wapplew

Drop Kinect and sell at $399 get better chance;
drop hard drive and Kinect sell at $299 might be even better chance;
drop blu ray and hard drive and Kinect sell at $199 will have the best chance.

It's all about more SKU, price and flexibility.

gruenel

I don't get it since a barebones $399 console looks like a way worse deal to me compared to the $450 Xbone bundles with Kinect + Game.

Do people really think it's a better deal to buy a $399 console with a seperate $60 game and then end up without Kinect?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Kinect and the old price were a big gate to consumer take up.

I don't see why kinect would be a barrier - just price.

and in March you could buy the Xbox with titanfall and kinect for basically the same price the new kinect-less and titanfall-less version will be. And it still wasn't enough to overtake PS4

epicnemesis

I don't see it happening. MS still needs to account for the fact that the PS4 is noticeably more powerful than the XBOne. Not to mention that I find the XBOne UI slow and unresponsive compared to the PS4. (might just be my console, I swear the thing is a nightmare to navigate, I don't even look at achievements when I get them because it is at least a 30 second distraction from the action.) Such unpolished system. I think the voice commands work MAYBE 20% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom