• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Corruption Surrounding the Qatar World Occured to a Western Country...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgtl_10

The Qatari bid was corrupt for sure. We know that. From the very beginning Western media was ticked off from very beginning finding every way possible to attack the bid. Yet when Salt Lake City and Atlanta bribed Olympic officials no one bothered to stop them from hosting their events.

We would have pursued a traditionally white dominated Western country with the same vigor as we attacked Qatar?

Today I was listening to American sports radio host Colin Cowherd. His argument was that Fifa is corrupt because non-Westerners can participate. He also made the dumb assertion that because America doesn't run the sport then we have to accept its corruption. Apparently he was living under a rock during the Congressional hearings on the American MLB.

Soccer is rife with racism. For a sport that is so global the Western white countries tend to be condescending and feel entitled. Qatar should lose their bid if everything is true but the next time a Western white dominated country is embroiled in scandal to bid an event, I want to see same bashing of the country and the same scrutiny of their bid.

Only if there were mass amounts of people dying in order to build stadiums

The corruption isn't the biggest issue, it's the corruption and the fact that it's such a shit place to host and the fact that people are dying.

I have no doubt that there was corruption and money changing hands to get the cup in Germany, and Korea/Japan and France...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's not the corruption, we've come to expect that from FIFA. It's the loss of life. It's unacceptable.

The Qatari bid was corrupt for sure. We know that. From the very beginning Western media was ticked off from very beginning finding every way possible to attack the bid. Yet when Salt Lake City and Atlanta bribed Olympic officials no one bothered to stop them from hosting their events.

We would have pursued a traditionally white dominated Western country with the same vigor as we attacked Qatar?

Today I was listening to American sports radio host Colin Cowherd. His argument was that Fifa is corrupt because non-Westerners can participate. He also made the dumb assertion that because America doesn't run the sport then we have to accept its corruption. Apparently he was living under a rock during the Congressional hearings on the American MLB.

Soccer is rife with racism. For a sport that is so global the Western white countries tend to be condescending and feel entitled. Qatar should lose their bid if everything is true but the next time a Western white dominated country is embroiled in scandal to bid an event, I want to see same bashing of the country and the same scrutiny of their bid.

There's much more happening in Qatar than this in regards to the World Cup. There was a documentary on ESPN and just seeing the lives those workers lead.. I feel sorry for them and their families.

Valhelm

contribute something
The ironic thing about this debacle is that to the best of my knowledge, many Qataris identify as white in relation to South Asian workers.

markot

Banned
The west is addicted to what Qatar and all those horrible gulf states sell. So we pretend they're OK.

Capitalism isn't about morality.

The next time thousands of immigrant workers die and millions more anguish in inhumane conditions building stadiums for a country with an average Summer temperature in the triple digits after a bid that so clearly and so blatantly bought by an oil-rich monarchy in a Western country, you can absolutely bash them.

Uh it has nothing to do with it being a non-western country. Brazil got the bid and people aren't bashing it because it's in South America, in fact their own people are more upset than "westerners". People are upset because of the mass of dead bodies and indentured servitude being employed on workers in the richest per capita nation on earth. This combined with the heavy evidence of corruption is what instigated the investigation, not because there's some latent racism at work.

Sounds like you're just being very defensive seeing as you don't even mention the humanitarian criticism.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Should Brasil lose its WC then? AFAIK at least 8 workers have died so far

Really? There's a pretty big difference between 8 and well over 1,000. Also it was 8 over the course of the entire project, the 1,000 has just been so far. There's still 8 years of construction to go. Then you bring their working conditions into the argument.

I really hope you're joking.

markot

Banned
8 isn't that many. Although still tragic.

Beyond that. Their bid wasnt rife with corruption. They have more than 80 people. And the strongest performance in the world cup consistently.

Also trying to turn this into a race or political correctness thing is hilarious.

whilst 8 is still too high, if the start of the tournament begins with it being 8 deaths it's still only a fraction of a percent of what's going on in Qatar, and that is still 8 years away...

Dead Man

What a wonderful thread this will be. And no OP, those events anywhere would see a fuss made once they were known about.

pgtl_10

There's much more happening in Qatar than this in regards to the World Cup. There was a documentary on ESPN and just seeing the lives those workers lead.. I feel sorry for them and their families.

How many documentaries were there on the prostitutes that were offered to IOC officials in Salt Lake City?

Let's face it if this was a Western country people would not have pursued this the way they attacked the non-Western country?

Saying the country being Arab had nothing to do with it is laughable. Especially in a sport where money chants are made against black soccer players.

I'm pretty convinced the determination to find corruption and anything wrong with the bid had a lot to do with racism and non-westerners country having a little spot light. Much like how the media attacked Russia for every little thing during Olympics.

markot

Banned
How many documentaries were there on the prostitutes that were offered to IOC officials in Salt Lake City?

Let's face it if this was a Western country people would not have pursued this the way they attacked the non-Western country?

Saying the country being Arab had nothing to do with it is laughable. Especially in a sport where money chants are made against black soccer players.

I'm pretty convinced the determination to find corruption and anything wrong with the bid had a lot to do with racism and non-westerners country having a little spot light. Much like how the media attacked Russia for every little thing during Olympics.

What's wrong with you?

pgtl_10

What a wonderful thread this will be. And no OP, those events anywhere would see a fuss made once they were known about.

But did people decided to pursue it with as much vigor as the Qatari bid? A lot of it came after the fact and no re-vote.

And yes there's is a slight element of sour grapes on the part of the US and England (who most pundits thought had the strongest bids for 2022 and 2018 respectively) and there's a slight element of maneuvering on the part of the US (if there's a re-vote, you would have to think we are the favorites to get the Cup), but c'mon.

Qatar's bid was so utterly ridiculous to begin with, even before you got to slave labor building stadiums, there's no way any sane objective person in their right mind could even take them seriously. FIFA's always been corrupt, Qatar hosting the Cup is insane even for them.

EDIT: If 1000 Latin American immigrants died building a stadium in Salt Lake City for a World Cup eight years from now, I ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEE there would be international outrage.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

What's wrong with you dude? If you want to know why people are pissed at Qatar read this stuff:

http://guardianlv.com/2014/03/qatar-world-cup-construction-has-1200-already-dead/

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/18/qatar-world-cup-india-migrant-worker-deaths

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/01/qatar-world-cup-workers-deaths-migrant

It's about the insane body count so far. You don't think it's a little concerning? Especially with 8 years of construction to go.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

paid for sex isn't THAT bad

sheesh

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm perfectly sane thank you. I'm expressing an opinion that is not popular.

Try reading my last post if you want to understand the outrage.

What's wrong with you dude? If you want to know why people are pissed at Qatar read this stuff:

http://guardianlv.com/2014/03/qatar-world-cup-construction-has-1200-already-dead/

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/18/qatar-world-cup-india-migrant-worker-deaths

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/01/qatar-world-cup-workers-deaths-migrant

It's about the insane body count so far. You don't think it's a little concerning? Especially with 8 years of construction to go.

So again, I ask: what's wrong with you?

You can't possibly equate prostitutes with the mass deaths of the workers in Qatar.. :/

Do you realize what skin color the majority of people in the country hosting this years cup is?

pgtl_10

I did say the Qatari bid should be revoked if found guilty. The question I posed is would we have pursued this if a Western country pulled the same bribes? Qatar like other Gulf countries have always had bad labor conditions. This is nothing new but the moment the Western lost a bid to them the media started caring about those conditions.

Mesousa

Banned
Of course there is western elitism with it. Look at how folks reacted when it was going to South Africa. People bitching about vuvuzelas and wanting them to ban part of their football culture while acting like their shitty chants and beer pub songs they belt out in their stadiums are any better.

markot

Banned
I did say the Qatari bid should be revoked if found guilty. The question I posed is would we have pursued this if a Western country pulled the same bribes? Qatar like other Gulf countries have always had bad labor conditions. This is nothing new but the moment the Western lost a bid to them the media started caring about those conditions.
The west would be better if people like you stopped living in it.

Dead Man

But did people decided to pursue it with as much vigor as the Qatari bid? A lot of it came after the fact and no re-vote.

Was it as blatant? Did as many people die? Qatar was FIFA jumping the shark, it has just become too broken to ignore now. Have you not noticed all the calls for European people to be investigated too?

FIFA has been quite corrupt long before Qatar was involved.

Today I was listening to American sports radio host Colin Cowherd. His argument was that Fifa is corrupt because non-Westerners can participate. He also made the dumb assertion that because America doesn't run the sport then we have to accept its corruption.
Damn, now THAT is racist.

markot

Banned
Of course there is western elitism with it. Look at how folks reacted when it was going to South Africa. People bitching about vuvuzelas and wanting them to ban part of their football culture while acting like their shitty chants and beer pub songs they belt out in their stadiums are any better.
Yes that was racism. Just like asking someone to stop blowing a kazoo in your rear is anti Semitism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom