• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control VR Kickstarter - Like seeing your hands for the very first time!

lhAqWfC.png

ffe1da20bac18a1951ed584dd7b21734_large.png

Basically, it motion caps your arms and hands down to the fingertips. Looks amazing for the next step in achieving VR presence. Totally reasonable goal of $250,000 goal, too. Seems to get the dev kit that includes the entire rig, it'll cost $600.

Just went up, check it:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/controlvr/control-vr-motion-capture-for-vr-animation-and-mor

Very cool & surreal; it'll certainly be a next step of wherever VR takes us. As an animator/animation director tho, I don't see lots of utility for artists yet; but it would be amazing for gaming immersion.

Seanspeed

Banned
This will be great for animators. But it's way too early for gamers.

Very cool & surreal; it'll certainly be a next step of wherever VR takes us. As an animator/animation director tho, I don't see lots of utility for artists yet; but it would be amazing for gaming immersion.
Haha.

I think its great technology, but I still feel its way too early for anybody to create the 'ultimate' VR control standard. And I don't think that wearing this complicated harness is really a 'mass market' solution at all. I think it definitely has its applications, I just don't see this taking off as *the* control setup for VR or anything.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Haha.

I think its great technology, but I still feel its way too early for anybody to create the 'ultimate' VR control standard. And I don't think that wearing this complicated harness is really a 'mass market' solution at all. I think it definitely has its applications, I just don't see this taking off as *the* control setup for VR or anything.

The problem with VR that simulates actual limb motion is still the lack of force feedback :/

Seanspeed

Banned
The problem with VR that simulates actual limb motion is still the lack of force feedback :/
I'm sure that's something that would really improve on things, but I feel the bigger initial obstacle is convincing people to wear expensive, complex body harnesses and gloves full of sensors and whatnot in the first place. It would be cool, but that's pretty extreme stuff.

Seanspeed

Banned
Was just a matter of time until the next 'I hope FB buys us out' project pops up.
There's been a wealth of VR-related kickstarters and VR control setups over the past year. Being bought by Facebook is unlikely to be the express aim of any of them.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I was waiting for a thread to be made about this. $600? I can not afford that right now...

EDIT: Not crazy about these tiers. $350 for the minimum 1 arm seems like too much. I wouldn't go for more than $400 for both arms.

bj00rn_

Banned
I have this feeling that in the same moment I push that backer button there's going to be an announcement of better and cheaper technology from a competitor, or perhaps even Oculus VR.. It does look promising though.

Is this turning out to become one of those Kickstarter scandals of no delivery? Any news?

Oh wow, I was going to say how this doesn't seem necessary given the recent advances in just detecting your hands as they are, no gloves needed, Kinect-style...

Yeah it does look like there's been no update here in ages.

Shock and awe... seems like the project is in critical condition but no mention of refunds.. http://www.roadtovr.com/control-vr-...tructure-and-additional-financial-investment/

Our firm backed this with $600.

I guess I'm glad I didn't jump on this one, it had a weird feeling about it. I think glove VR is the future, at least until we can somehow generate tactile feedback without one (ultrasound stuff may be promising). One of my main disappointments was they had no solution for haptics, and handwaived it away as a "we'll get to that."

Pretending they were always promising something else that was never mentioned on the Kickstarter is super shady. It almost sounds like a scapegoat to blame another company for faulty tech?

I hope they can either deliver, or refund people, but I doubt the latter is likely.

Top Bottom