• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 720p TV/Monitor for Wii U?

Kuro

Would it be worth it? Does native 720p content on a native 720p panel look much better than 720p upscaled to a 1080p panel?

StuBurns

Banned
In theory, it would, but there aren't really any native 720p panels as far as I know, most are actually something else and just scale.

Assuming you already have a 1080p TV I wouldn't say it would be worth it to buy a 720p TV just for the Wii U games that are 720p. Most TVs do a good enough job of scaling up to 1080p, and if you turn the sharpness down low (preference I guess, but makes a much smoother image) you hardly notice a massive difference from native to non native (I know native is greatly superior, but I just don't see it in most Wii U games). Plus, Smash, Zelda and a few other games are already 1080p/aiming for 1080p so you'd be limited to 720p on those games or have to switch TVs somehow which would be an unnecessary burden imo.

Otheradam

In theory, it would, but there aren't really any native 720p panels as far as I know, most are actually something else and just scale.

There are native 720p tvs but none were made after like 2009. My 32" samsung that I bought in 2007/2008 is native 720p.

Don't do it!
I've tried my Wii U on both 720p and 1080p TV's. The visuals on 1080p blow 720 out of the water, even though it's obviously not native.

Spend a few extra bucks and go 1080p.

Raistlin

Extremely worth it.
Except native 720p (non CRT) displays essentially don't exist.

There will be scaling either way.

That said, if the OP is looking to get a new TV for whatever reason ... and 1080p isn't required ... the Samsung '720p' 43" plasma is pretty much a best buy in terms of picture quality for your money.

Kuro

Explain why this is necessary, please?

I have a 1080p plasma tv and a 1080p IPS monitor but I'd also like to avoid the blurriness that occurs with upscaled games and was wondering if a native 720p panel would alleviate that issue.

Nif

I have a 1080p plasma tv and a 1080p IPS monitor but I'd also like to avoid the blurriness that occurs with upscaled games and was wondering if a native 720p panel would alleviate that issue.

Do you have a 360 or PS3? Just take a look at some of the 720p games from last generation and you'll get approximately the same amount of blur.

I would suggest going with the 1080p.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Much better op. I say go for it since you seem to have a bit of desire. Upscaling sucks balls for games and should be only used when it's forced or absolutely required.

dcx4610

A PC monitor would be a bad idea since Wii U only supports Limited RGB.

4k TVs are in the low 1000s already. Just spring for a 1080p TV. I'm not sure what size you are looking for but if you are wanting something smaller, you can get a 32" (which is usually the lowest you can go for 1080p) for around $250.

Kuro

Something interesting that I have noticed is that my Plasma covers up upscaling issues better than any other kind of panel I have used. Upscaling and aliasing is much more noticeable on LCDs.

Mithos

Something interesting that I have noticed is that my Plasma covers up upscaling issues better than any other kind of panel I have used. Upscaling and aliasing is much more noticeable on LCDs.

Kuro
(Today, 08:59 PM)

;P (And yeah Plasmas have better scaling then LCD from my experience.)

Love my HD-CRT though, gonna cry a lot when it checks out.

I don't think they make native 720p panels anymore

The console does the upscaling right? Not the TV? So there's at least that, the signal coming out of the console is 1080p (if you set it that in options), just not the rendered image itself.

Plus there are some games that will run at 1080, like Smash Bros and some indie stuff. I'd say just go 1080p

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
No need to go with a 720p TV, just make sure whatever you pick has a '1:1' mode. I'm using a Toshiba REGZA and it does pixel-perfect and limited-range RGB just fine.

I've always been confused about this, why is that when 720p became a HD standard, there were virtually zero native 1280x720 displays made? (And still none today)

There were either 1024x768 TVs (plasmas mainly I believe) in which the resolution was stretched horizontally to fill a 16:9 aspect ratio with rectangular pixels, or the other equally arbitrary resolution of 1366x768. Why no native 720?
Because panel vendors are the same for TVs and for PC monitors, and 720p was never a PC monitor standard, whereas 1024x768 and 1366x768 are. Also, it's more important to be pixel-perfect on a monitor sitting .5m from your face, than on a TV set sitting 4 meters away.

I've always been confused about this, why is that when 720p became a HD standard, there were virtually zero native 1280x720 displays made? (And still none today)

There were either 1024x768 TVs (plasmas mainly I believe) in which the resolution was stretched horizontally to fill a 16:9 aspect ratio with rectangular pixels, or the other equally arbitrary resolution of 1366x768. Why no native 720?

Madao

doesn't the Wii U have its own internal upscaler? you can get a 1080p image to the TV without the need to have it upscale it for you.

also, since there's no real 720p TV, going with a higher resolution TV is better in the long run.

The benefit of playing wii u on a true 720p screen would be marginal at best. Yes it'd be native resolution, but so many other factors make a bigger difference. I wouldn't recommend it unless you found a high quality true 720p screen at a low price.

MLH

What about using the WiiU outputting 720p to a 1440p Monitor/ TV up-scaled using the Monitor/ TV scaler? Would that look better or worse than 720->1080 scaling?

Mithos

What about using the WiiU outputting 720p to a 1440p Monitor/ TV up-scaled using the Monitor/ TV scaler? Would that look better or worse than 720->1080 scaling?

Every pixel on 1280x720p would use 2x2(4)pixels on the (2560x)1440p, so if I have listened and understand correctly running 720p on a (2560x)1440p would be "better" then running 720p on 1080p, since it would not scale the picture on the 1440p screen.

Naminator

Banned
Would it be worth it? Does native 720p content on a native 720p panel look much better than 720p upscaled to a 1080p panel?

Man I hope you didn't actually go out and got yourself a 720p TV, there is just absolutely no reason for it, upscaling is not going to destroy video quality of your games, stop listening to the fanboys and their console war stupidity.

BubbaMc

Sony BVM-A32E1WM. This is THE ultimate 720p (and anything else you can throw at it) display that money can buy.

307990.jpeg

My crappy Sanyo TV is 768p but it can display 720p content without stretching it, and that's what I do. 768p has stupid overscan in it anyway.

Banned
I put my Wii U to 720p mode on my older 1366x768p tv and it looked like ass compared to the 1080p output on my 1080p tv. The Wii U scales very nicely depending on the tv you have, but it's up to you. I had a bravia (2008) but upgraded this year to a Samsung.

Top Bottom