• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who are your favorite black Nintendo characters?

Update for necrobump: The full (supposedly) Super Smash Bros for 3DS roster is out. 49 characters and the only one that isn't default white is Mr. Game and Watch. Let that sink in.

-----

I'm personally a big fan of Doc from Punch-out.

IsFy5hg.gif

Honorable mentions to black Yoshi

P4w7m8V.jpg

And let's not forget, Mr. Game & Watch.

bxSaJUy.png

So, who are your favorite black Nintendo characters?

-----------

Edit: So I posted this later on in the thread, but I'm going to post it here just to clear some things up for those coming into the thread.

KillerIsJed said:
If I really have to explain it to you, you are missing the point. But here goes.

Nintendo has real problems having black characters in their games. As many people have pointed out the majority of the ones they do have play off racist stereotypes "mammy", big lips, etc. I posted Yoshi and Game and Watch because they were honestly the only physically black characters I could think of, in a way to illustrate the lack of playable black characters in Nintendo games, not to insight trolls to make racist jokes or to post characters who are just the color black.

And if anyone honestly thinks I'm "concern trolling" feel free to discuss it with me. I'm not a troll, and my topics are typically locked because of other posters causing problems. Do I bring up controversial topics about representation in games? You betcha. Am I an openly bisexual poly practicing guy with a beard who licks controllers? You betcha. Do I own 3DS, Wii U and every Nintendo console released (other than virtual boy)? You betcha. I love Nintendo, I love video games, which is why I have to point out problematic trends and things in them, because it can only make them better.

It is refreshing to admit that something you like is in no way shape or form perfect while being able to still enjoy it, something it seems a lot of people online have a problem doing, they would rather cover their eyes and stick their fingers in their ears and pretend they don't hear any of the criticisms or believe the truths in them.

Also, what IS satire?

Jamix012

Um. I like the re-design of Team Aqua's leader Archie?

Is this a joke thread used to illustrate some sort of point?

Um. I like the re-design of Team Aqua's leader Archie?

Is this a joke thread used to illustrate some sort of point?

Yeah joke thread.

I think Nintendo's good at having people of color and different nationalities(like Mario), there's the Gerudo in Zelda, and even in Pokemon there's:

aroe.png

and

20110321224240!Black_White_Iris.png

That there aren't a lot of black people in Japan?

I find that hard to believe. I see many Japanese commercials that have at least one black guy. I see more black guys in commercials from there than white guys even. That being said, I haven't watched a whole lot of Japanese commercials.

woxel1

720384-michaeledwards.jpg

I'm a big fan of Michael Edwards in Eternal Darkness! One of the few characters to
seemingly make it through alive

atr0cious

The gerudos are the blackest NIntendo characters I can think of. Also Telma:

fjFSFO2.png

But I really don't look to Nintendo for my racial diversity, or I don't look to media in general for diversity. Our people are lucky to get representation in media as bad guys.

Top Bottom