• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamecube image problem on a CRT (overscan?)

So I bought a Gamecube off ebay as I never owned one as a kid and I wanted to dive into that library.

Looked pretty funky on my HDTV so I pulled out the old CRT and set it up. Image looks much better, apart from one MAJOR issue, which is the edge of the image being cut right off.

Here's a pic:

Zfljvqp.png

As you can see, the left side is missing a large chunk. The built in options for the Gamecube just adjusts the image left and right, which doesn't help as the image lines up correctly on the right side, so pushing it across would just make both sides lose a little bit of image rather than one side losing a lot.

Though fiddling around with it, it looks as though the top of the image lines up right, but the bottom doesn't?
Like in the image I supplied the text at the top seems to be in the dead centre, so it's just the image being stretched out at the bottom? I'm just rambling here, I know nothing about TVs.

OmegaDL50

Does this problem only effect your Gamecube when displayed? I just want to confirm this first.

Have you tried plugging in something else into the CRT and seeing if it also has alignment issues.

I just want to rule out the possibility that the Cathode Ray isn't misaligned. Does the TV have any built-in Service Modes such as an Overscan option? Or any Horizontal / Vertical Centering options?

Did you try going into the service menus? If not, look up you TV model number or brand online and find out how to access it. Don't mess with any options not related to image size, though, as it might cause problems. Good luck.

All my other old consoles are stored away because we're a long process of moving house so I can't test them.

I guess I'll try with the service menu, but I don't want to screw up anything.

IrishNinja

retro-gaf would've fixed this if you'd waited, but yeah, you're gonna have to mess with your service menu/TV's options man. should've been your first step.

What do you mean if I'd waited? I haven't done anything yet.
You made a thread about a CRT and some people on this forum are CRT experts.

If you know the precise model of your TV, I would post it and wait. You might get some good advice so you don't mess things up.

You made a thread about a CRT and some people on this forum are CRT experts.

If you know the precise model of your TV, I would post it and wait. You might get some good advice so you don't mess things up.

The sticker on the back says Model No: CB-59D4 and it's a Samsung, sooooo /wait

Peagles

Can you post a pic of what the screen looks like in the screen positioning tool in the GC menu when set to 0?

Since you haven't got anything else to test it with, I'd be hesitant to change the TV settings for now.

i just meant in the GC thread is all. but hey if you get an answer from this thread that works too

Oh, didn't notice you were the same guy that posted in the GC thread :p

Can you post a pic of what the screen looks like in the screen positioning tool in the GC menu when set to 0?

Since you haven't got anything else to test it with, I'd be hesitant to change the TV settings for now.

And here it is pushed all the way across to get the analog stick icon to show up, I'm assuming the green bar signifies the edge of the screen?

Sakujou

Banned
you have to setup the tv and the gamecube.

if this is not helping, try another CRT. my small CRT has better a RGB-in, while it cuts off a small portion on the right side. my bigger CRT is able to display everything while the RGB-in has a mad problem on the left side of the screen. weird problems from the early 2000s.

Peagles

And here it is pushed all the way across to get the analog stick icon to show up, I'm assuming the green bar signifies the edge of the screen?

Wow, looks like you own a super rare GC that can only do widescreen! :p

Mine at 00 has the green bars about an inch from the edges, and it's perfect in game. Yours seems to be way overblown. Do you still get analog TV broadcast that you could tune into and check if TV looks like that too?

I'm still looking for a service menu for you. Hopefully someone is better at Google than me!

Mzo

I'd say try another console before making any changes. They're all a little different, but not by that much. If everything else gets cut off, change it in the service menu.

I plugged in an old broken DVD player. It doesn't play disks but I could test it by hitting the play button and having the text appear in the top left. And yep, it's all cut off.

So fiddling around with the service menu it is.

I don't want a break anything so I'm gonna need some expert tell me step by step what I need to do lol.

Though I have no idea how to access the service menu. Through all my searching it seems like my TV doesn't even exist. "Samsung CB-59D4" leads me to this thread, and even Samsung's website doesn't have it listed.

Peagles

I plugged in an old broken DVD player. It doesn't play disks but I could test it by hitting the play button and having the text appear in the top left. And yep, it's all cut off.

So fiddling around with the service menu it is.

I don't want a break anything so I'm gonna need some expert tell me step by step what I need to do lol.

Though I have no idea how to access the service menu. Through all my searching it seems like my TV doesn't even exist. "Samsung CB-59D4" leads me to this thread, and even Samsung's website doesn't have it listed.

Often it's a button combo in standby before you turn it on, so try all what's suggested in those models in that list and something is bound to work.

-KRS-

Is this with RGB SCART inputs? Because there's quite some overscan to the sides on my Trinitron CRT when using RGB inputs, but not otherwise. There's a setting in the regular menu to set the "RGB Centering" on my TV though, so you can adjust it but there will still be some cut off.

But my point is, if it's the case that only RGB inputs give overscan, if you adjust the TV won't that mean that non-RGB inputs will be underscanned or whatever you call that? If not then maybe I'll have to do some service menu adjustments myself. And adjust the geometry while I'm at it.

Often it's a button combo in standby before you turn it on, so try all what's suggested in those models in that list and something is bound to work.

Yeah I tried it but I don't really know what I'm doing. Whenever I press a number button on my remote it takes my TV out of standby, so when I hit power it just turns it back off rather than turning it on into the service menu? :\

Is this with RGB SCART inputs? Because there's quite some overscan to the sides on my Trinitron CRT when using RGB inputs, but not otherwise. There's a setting in the regular menu to set the "RGB Centering" on my TV though, so you can adjust it but there will still be some cut off.

But my point is, if it's the case that only RGB inputs give overscan, if you adjust the TV won't that mean that non-RGB inputs will be underscanned or whatever you call that? If not then maybe I'll have to do some service menu adjustments myself. And adjust the geometry while I'm at it.

I'm just using the standard cables the Gamecube comes with afaik (it was bought secondhand), so I'm assuming no.

Yeah I tried it but I don't really know what I'm doing. Whenever I press a number button on my remote it takes my TV out of standby, so when I hit power it just turns it back off rather than turning it on into the service menu? :\

My TV's service menu is accessed while the TV is on, so service menu's don't always require your TV to be in standby to work.

I don't know how Samsung's service menus are activated, though, as I've never owned a Samsung TV, so I'm just saying. Hah.

Oh shit I found it.

How To Get into The Samsung Service Menu
You can use the Samsung service menu, for such things as resetting the digital tuner, a total factory reset and enabling/disabling hotel mode. In this mode you must be careful as you can cause irreparable damage to your set.

Method 1
Put TV on standby and then push in series these buttons on the remote: 'info, menu, mute, power' the TV will then turn itself on and display a menu.

Method 2
Turn the power off. On the remote, press Mute followed by 1, 8, 2, Power in sequence.

Method 3
With the TV in standby, press the {DISPLAY} {P.STD} {MUTE} {POWER} on the remote.

Method 4
With the TV in standby, press the {SLEEP} {P.STD} {MUTE} {POWER} on the remote.

Method 5
With the TV in standby, press the {DISPLAY} {MENU} {MUTE} {POWER} on the remote.

Method 6
With the TV in standby. On the remote, press Mute followed by 1, 1, 9, Enter in sequence.

It was method 5, so no number buttons.

Now, what the fuck am I doing? D:

Options are

Adjustment
Test Pattern
OPTIONS
Reset

Piccoro

A quick google for an old Samsung HD CRT (not your model), and I found this:

actually, I know how to get into the service menu but have no idea what to change. To do so, with the TV off press mute-1-8-2-power in succession.

Once in the service menu, select "Deflection". In the Deflection menu, you need to adjust "H EW" (horizontal stretch) and "H Shift" (horizontal position).

I also needed to adjust V Amp and V Shift to get the picture to fit just right.

Why don't you try going to service mode and adjust these settings?

Edit: To move around in service mode:
* Use the {CH+} {CH -} buttons to select items.
* Use the {VOL+} {VOL -} buttons to adjust.
* Press the {POWER} button to exit the Service Menu.

I went into the adjustment menu and these are the settings I've got:

AGC 18
VCO 80
SBT 10
SCT 14
SCR 5
SC 11
RG 40
BG 27
CDL 7
STT 10
PDL 0
VOL 25
PSL 27
PVS 22
PVA 36
PHS 32
PEW 39
PEP 25
PEC 39
PET 31
VSC 31
TSC 40
SA 7
QEW 5
PCT 7
PTT 31
PHM 8
PVP 31
PHP 42
NSR 3
FFI 0

Piccoro

Where is your TV from again? If you are in Europe/Australia your TV and GC are PAL versions...

The meaning of those codes:

PVS: PAL VERTICAL SHIFT (default value: 32, yours is 22)

PHS: PAL HORIZONTAL SHIFT (default value: 40, yours is 32)

PVA: PAL VERTICAL AMPLITUDE (default value: 42, yours is 36)

PSL: PAL VERTICAL SLOPE (default value: 32, yours is 27)

You could try to alter these values.

Note: These are the default values for Eastern Europe, yours might be different if you have a NTSC (US) TV.

Piccoro

TV is from Australia.

I will change those options to the default and test how the Gamecube looks then.

If anything goes wrong, you can revert to the previous values.

More code meanings:

PHP: PIP Horizontal Position

VSC: Vertical Slope Correction

I've never seen a Samsung TV like yours, I'm pulling this info from service manuals in the net.
You will probably have to mess with these settings until you get the picture right...

Not a lot seems to have changed, I can see slightly more of the left side of the screen, but I've lost a tiny bit of the right and bottom. The left/right/bottom all look like they need to be shrunken in.

Pic:

So, from what I can tell it's something like this atm:

AskC4Q1.png

Black = TV size, blue = picture size

JediLink

Can't really contribute to solving the problem, but props to OP for wanting to go straight to the best game on the system.

Alright so changing the VSL back to what it was before brought back the bottom of the screen, but I have no idea what to change to bring in the sides.

Can't really contribute to solving the problem, but props to OP for wanting to go straight to the best game on the system.

Paper Mario was largely what I bought it for :D

Piccoro

Alright so changing the VSL back to what it was before brought back the bottom of the screen, but I have no idea what to change to bring in the sides.

Paper Mario was largely what I bought it for :D

One of those codes must be the stretch/zoom function...

Edit: The W in PEW and QEW must mean Wide. Try changing those.
Edit 2: Yep, that's the overscan adjustment. Surely that will solve it.

CTLance

Honestly, I'd have gotten a Wii. Not that much more expensive, additional Wii library, component out that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, easily hacked to allow for a HDD loader.

Props to Op for sticking with it. Enjoy the cube, it's such an awesome little system. Hope you get this TV stuff sorted.

PEW and QEW don't seem to be doing anything :x

And I have a Wii (and Wii U). Playing through component cables on a HDTV makes so many jaggies :\

Piccoro

Honestly, I'd have gotten a Wii. Not that much more expensive, additional Wii library, component out that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, easily hacked to allow for a HDD loader.
Remember that the second Wii SKU doesn't have Gamecube compatibility.

PEW and QEW don't seem to be doing anything :x

Well damn! I've read that in some Samsung TV's the "EW" option fixes the overscan.
You'll just have to try all the other codes... Sorry

Been going through them one by one.

With PVS and PVA I got the screen dead centre and the exact scale vertically.

I've got the PHS dead centre horizontally, but there's no PHA to make this easy for me, and I'm pulling my hair out trying to get it to scale horizontally, nothing so far has done anything >_<

Piccoro

Keep trying, friend! You'll eventually get it right! :)

Anyway, I once tried to play Mario Sunshine and Double-Dash on my Sony 1080p TV and the games looked good! It was with a Wii connected with Component.

-KRS-

Yeah some Sony Bravias actually had a pretty good upscaler in them. My father has a KDL-W4000 and whenever I've hooked up my retro systems to that TV it has looked pretty decent. Obviously not great but acceptable. Wii definitely looked good with both RGB Scart and Component cables. But it seems that it was mostly on older HDTVs, when it was more uncommon with HD content so they needed a good upscaler more. New TVs tend to look crap with SD content. And nothing beats CRTs when it comes to SD content anyway. :)

So I've been busy with other things. TV is still how I left it, left and right sides being horribly cut off.

Someone on GAF must be a TV expert and know what all those service menu codes mean (that I listed in post 22) and what I need to adjust to fix it. I haven't fiddled with anything at the top of the list down to VOL as I don't want to break anything :x

Top Bottom